Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:33:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629183 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 17:19:50 »

I know NXEC (National Express East Coast) food was criticised by Barry but on Sunday I found their full English breakfast to be great (bacon, toast, beans, really nice little toms, potato scone, saugage, black pudding, 3 cups of tea and orange juice on propper plate and cutlery for ^12 was not bad, although the ^25 w/end first upgrade was needed to get access to any food above megre buffet fayre).

was planning to try Grand Central's offering on the trip North, but the train as so crowded at KX I would not have got a seat and instead got on the NX train north 12 minutes later (GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) need to put their fares up to close to NXEC or add a couple of coaches).  2hr 20 to Darlington with first stop at York was a very impressive timing.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 21:21:45 »

Full English breakfast on a Sunday? Good heavens Undecided
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 06:31:12 »

Full English breakfast on a Sunday? Good heavens Undecided
That's what I was thinking especially when NXEC (National Express East Coast) have drastically cut back restaurant services during weekdays.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:24 »

I was surprised to see it listed in the timetable and doubtful as to whether it would actually exist, but it was there (on the first train of the day South from Darlington) and well used. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 10:25:49 »

I was surprised to see it listed in the timetable and doubtful as to whether it would actually exist, but it was there (on the first train of the day South from Darlington) and well used. 

Let's hope that ECMLCo (t/a East Coast) reverse some of the catering changes that the dire NXEC (National Express East Coast) instigated.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 23:17:32 »

If anyone is taking a journey by NXEC (National Express East Coast), the pdfs of the timetable on their website have the catering provision on each train highlighted by colour coding, be that a restaurant open to all comers, or first class only at-seat service, see http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/Travel-Information/full-timetables/Timetable-information/
but as Tim found, on Saturday and Sunday it's only in first class, on a few services, where there is a dining service.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 12:23:38 »

Restaurant provision still appears very hit and miss, with equipment failures and staff shortage a regular feature.
On the 18-03 last Thursday (29/10/2009) only a very limited number of meals were served due to catering equipment failure.
Many prospective customers were turned away including some who had booked.
I was lucky to get a meal, which was of the usual high standard and most enjoyable.

On my return journey on the 12-55 from Plymouth (06/11/2009), no restaurant service was offered, due I understand, to catering equipment failure.
On several previous trips restaurants have been canceled due to staff shortages and breakdowns.

There seems to be a general view among FGW (First Great Western) catering staff that the service is being run down prior to closure.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 16:39:02 »

More problems today on the catering front, it seems.  From FGW (First Great Western) live updates:

Service incidents
13:06 London Paddington to Plymouth due 16:29
This train has been revised. This is due to a member of train crew being unavailable.
No Travelling Chef service. Buffet service only.
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 12:21

14:15 Paignton to London Paddington due 17:24
This train has been revised.This is due to train crew having been unavailable earlier.
No catering service available between Paignton and Exeter St Davids.
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 12:37

14:31 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 16:39
This train has been revised. This is due to an earlier train fault.
No buffet service. A trolley service is available in Standard Class.
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 12:34

15:22 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central due 18:45
This train will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3. This is due to an earlier train fault.
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 12:38

16:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 17:39
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 13:17

16:12 Paignton to Exmouth due 17:53
This train has been revised. This train will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3. This is due to an earlier train fault.
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 15:10

16:22 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central due 19:45
This train has been revised. This is due to train crew having been unavailable earlier.
No catering service available between Portsmouth Harbour and Newport -South Wales-.
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 15:13

17:06 London Paddington to Westbury due 18:54
Last Updated: 09/11/2009 15:16

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 09:57:31 »

The new timetable, now available on the FGW (First Great Western) website, suggests that two up trains will retain pullmans, despite earlier suggestions that one was to be withdrawn.

If true, then this is somwhat better news than expected.

Two restaurants a day is rather meager provision, not that long ago there were seven in each direction on the West of England line, and several to/from Wales.
Still better than nothing though, I certainly enjoy it.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 19:46:55 »

Hopefully the East Coast restaurant service will be re-intoduced, now it is run by a competent company.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 20:52:38 »

Hopefully the East Coast restaurant service will be re-intoduced, now it is run by a competent company.
A review of on board catering is planned but what that will mean for the return of a decent restaurant service remains to be seen.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 20:54:26 »

Hang on...they're completely untested, and Elaine Holt's at the helm! Let's not jump to any conclusions that they're competent just yet  Wink

After all, according to Railway Eye, ppm for last day of NXEC (National Express East Coast) was 100%. Anyone like to guess the ppm for the first day of EC? 76%  Tongue

(Before anyone flames me, I'm well aware that I'm quoting that out of context and there probably are all sorts of legitimate reasons - it's just a statistic that amused me!)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 23:42:44 »

I am open to the possibilty of great things ahead for the 'East Coast' franchise. Elaine Holt has got two years to turn the franchise around, and I wish her every success.

I have travelled to the North East on numerous occasions in the past 5 years and have always been happy to pay a premium to go via London from Bristol rather than endure 5 hours on a Vomiter. NXEC (National Express East Coast) were starting to make me reconsider though, so I look forward to the promise of an improved on board service. There was a noticeable lack of morale amongst the on board staff on my last two first class trips, so here's hoping things can only get better.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2009, 00:28:03 »

Promo video for ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s Premier Class Restaurant. Slightly cheesy accompanying music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHNLayx-CQU&feature=player_embedded#

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2009, 03:58:56 »

How long do you reckon before the FGWComms channel posts a video response demonstrating how to massacre a cheeseburger in a plastic bag?  Wink

PS only joking, I think the travelling chef's great!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: