Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:53:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629361 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2009, 13:35:01 »

Promo video for ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s Premier Class Restaurant. Slightly cheesy accompanying music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHNLayx-CQU&feature=player_embedded#

ATW dont even have first class!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2009, 13:38:52 »

Promo video for ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s Premier Class Restaurant. Slightly cheesy accompanying music!

Also its stopping pattern is bizarre - Newport - Cwmbran - Abergavenny then nothing until Shrewsbury - completely misses out Hereford and Ludlow

I can understanding missing ludlow (dont like it but can understand it) but Hereford?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2009, 14:03:13 »

Also its stopping pattern is bizarre - Newport - Cwmbran - Abergavenny then nothing until Shrewsbury - completely misses out Hereford and Ludlow
I can understanding missing ludlow (dont like it but can understand it) but Hereford?

I agree, I've always found the calling pattern strange, completely missing out the whole of Southern Shropshire and Herefordshire!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2009, 14:22:13 »

I agree, I've always found the calling pattern strange, completely missing out the whole of Southern Shropshire and Herefordshire!

Which is probably why I did not even know it existed!

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2009, 23:17:01 »

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) dont even have first class!

On a technicality, yes they do, on this service only. That's why rather than inventing a whole new (and largely redundant) FC(resolve) pricing structure you simply pay a supplement on top of the standard class fare which also includes din-dins or breakfast.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2009, 23:50:24 »

FGW (First Great Western) are plugging new Pullman menus with a link from the website homepage and clearly listing all four trains offering restaurants, plus what to do to reserve a restaurant seat on the Paddington evening departures - though only first class ticketholders can reserve apparently.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=70

A recent article (in Rail I think) quoted an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) bigwig as saying the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) Express doesn't serve Hereford basically because that's not its job, which is link North and South Wales (except, of course, the biggest town in North Wales).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:10:31 by willc » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2009, 09:36:15 »

The new menu does not seem much different to the old one, though that is not a criticism as the old menu was very good.
The main course still consists of steak, a fish option or a vegetarian option.

The cheese selection is now served in the proper fashion from a cheeseboard, thus allowing a choice, in the past it was ready plated.

The soup, steak and cheese were certainly most enjoyable on thursday (27/11/09) and I am very pleased to say that that my booking was honoured.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2009, 09:44:21 »

A recent article (in Rail I think) quoted an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) bigwig as saying the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) Express doesn't serve Hereford basically because that's not its job, which is link North and South Wales (except, of course, the biggest town in North Wales).

I thought Wrexham was the biggest town in North Wales?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2009, 11:18:00 »

Isn't that the point - it doesn't serve Wrexham?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2009, 12:45:32 »

Just so. The train runs Chester-Crewe-Shrewsbury.

Capacity issues between Chester and Wrexham, which is a single line section, and also on the double track on to Shrewsbury where there are no intermediate signals on Wrexham-Gobowen and just one between Gobowen and Shrewsbury, limiting how many trains can run and also creating some very long sectional running times. Though there are plans afoot to tackle all these problems.

In addition, they would need a DVT(resolve) in the formation to reverse direction at Chester.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2009, 15:08:11 »

Thanks for clarifying that, Willc. I do like a bit of clarity, me.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2009, 23:03:26 »

True, but putting in a stop at Ludlow would perhaps get some Midlands - Cardiff commuters/businessmen to travel.

But I agree that the priority is to get the North - South journey time down, and that involves cutting stops. At least ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) understand the meaning of express! **cough** FGW (First Great Western) **cough** Cornwall trains!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 23:11:12 »

But I agree that the priority is to get the North - South journey time down, and that involves cutting stops. At least ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) understand the meaning of express! **cough** FGW (First Great Western) **cough** Cornwall trains!

Do you actually understand the market?

1000 Penzance - London Paddington was today well loaded past Plymouth, clearly the prospect of stopping at such places as Ivybridge not causing anybody any major distress.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2011, 16:51:42 »

It would appear that the restaurant menus have recently been changed.
If I have understood the website correctly, it would appear that we now have only 2 menus instead of 4.
Very frequent users might find this a bit boring, but I only use the Pullman every couple of weeks on average, and am therefore not worried.
Both the new menus include fillet steak, which to my taste is a decided improvement.

Prices have been increased, but still compare favourably with those charged elswhere for meals of similar qaulity.

Hope they can obtain some port ! has not been available for a while, due I believe to the supplier going bust.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 12:30:27 »

Update re above.
Port is now available on the restaurant trains, and very good port it is too, better than before.
But now they have no brandy ! hopefully easier to source than port.
The new menus are in use, less choice than before, but at least fillet steak is on both menus, a decided improvement.
I have used the pullman several times in the last few weeks and been very impressed.EDIT the above was true when I wrote it, but we now have no port, again. Though there is brandy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 15:00:16 by broadgage » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: