19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:37:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol connections: Metro, Bus Rapid Transit, PTE, ITA and local councils - discussion  (Read 285868 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:14:03 »

From my inbox (my thanks to an FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) member) :

Thank you for your letter of 15th July. Though I am still fairly new to this post and still getting briefed I share many of your concerns and I am determined to do what I can to improve transport in Bristol through my position as the member of the Council's Cabinet responsible for transport.

As you have observed, proposals to construct a rapid transit (tram) network serving Bristol were not successful. The main reason for this was that the cost of funding trams escalated and they have become simply unaffordable for government, the main source of funding. In addition to the Bristol scheme, government funding was similarly not made available for schemes also at an advanced stage of preparation in Leeds, Liverpool and South Hampshire (Portsmouth/Gosport). The only tram schemes that currently appear to be progressing are extensions to existing schemes (Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham) or where different national government funding regimes are in place (Edinburgh).

Department for Transport advice has been for local authorities seeking to promote fast mass public transport systems to concentrate instead on bus rapid transit which are seen as being able to provide most of the benefits of a rail-based tram as well as greater flexibility at a fraction of the cost. Bus rapid transit uses current bus technology, but with greater use of design of the vehicle and operating environment to provide fast and attractive services, segregated as far as possible from traffic congestion. An example of the type of vehicle being considered is to be found currently operating in York.

Taking heed of the government advice, the development of a bus rapid transit network for the greater Bristol area was recommended in the Greater Bristol Strategic Transport Study which was published last year and carried out by consultants acting on behalf of the Government Office for the South West, the Regional Development Agency, the Highways Agency and the four local authorities in the greater Bristol area.

This advice has now been included in the Joint Local Transport Plan for the period up to 2010/11 , adopted last year by the four local authorities. I believe that this plan provides an extremely comprehensive approach on a number of fronts to deal with traffic congestion that you refer to, and also other transport issues, and I consider that this is the effective plan you seek.

The greater Bristol area has been successful in obtaining a greater than expected share of funding earmarked through the Regional Funding Allocation, and work is now taking place to develop both the bus rapid transit proposals and four other major transport schemes in the greater Bristol area. For the first of these schemes developing the existing Greater Bristol Bus Network - the four councils are in partnership with First Group who will be investing ^20 million in new buses as part of a ^62 million partnership. This will extending the successful Showcase Bus Route concept already completed on the A38 route through Bristol and nearly completed on the A420/ A431 , to ten additional corridors. A government announcement confirming this funding is expected soon which will enable this transformational project to be completed over the next four years. For Bus Rapid Transit, which will be implemented after the GBBN project and be complementary to it, there has been no discussion yet with potential operators of such a service, so it is incorrect to assume that this is being developed in association with First Group.

Some of your concerns relate to national issues of funding and taxation which are beyond my remit and powers. Like you and many others, I can see that many places abroad have developed more ambitious public transport systems than we see in Britain with, in many cases, lower fares. This has arisen almost invariably from different government investment, public subsidy and taxation strategies.

However, I do draw some comfort from the recently-published draft Transport Bill which, when enacted, will provide the opportunity to create a Strategic Transport Authority covering the greater Bristol area. I am enthusiastic about this idea recently supported by members of alLPolitical parties locally - as I believe it will provide an opportunity for greater co-ordination of plans, a common purpose and above all - unlock further funding for investment.

I do hope that I have answered your questions. Like you, am frustrated by the traffic problems we see daily in Bristol, and I intend to see a marked improvement while I am responsible for this area of work.

Yours sincerely,

Councillor Mark Bradshaw

Executive Member for Access and Environment

Quotes :

"Taking heed of the government advice, the development of a bus rapid transit network for the greater Bristol area was recommended in the Greater Bristol Strategic Transport Study which was published last year and carried out by consultants acting on behalf of the Government Office for the South West, the Regional Development Agency, the Highways Agency and the four local authorities in the greater Bristol area.

This advice has now been included in the Joint Local Transport Plan for the period up to 2010/11 , adopted last year by the four local authorities. I believe that this plan provides an extremely comprehensive approach on a number of fronts to deal with traffic congestion that you refer to, and also other transport issues, and I consider that this is the effective plan you seek."

The bus rapid transit network for the greater Bristol area was recommended by Atkins and includes turning the Severn Beach Line into a guided busway (see map on page 3 of the link below.)
http://www.gosw.gov.uk/497666/docs/164775/418726/gbstsexecsumm

You now have a good idea as to why I am always interested in what this consultancy firm gets up to (see link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=550.msg1812#msg1812
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:18:21 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 21:47:55 »

Bristol Evening Post article on proposals for a "Bristol Metro" suburban rail network (link below.)
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Metro-scheme-answer-Bristol-traffic-crisis/article-621981-detail/article.html

Related background links.
http://www.westofengland.org/media/86168/wep%20rus%20evidence%20june%202008%20final.pdf

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=357.msg1034#msg1034

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:04:02 »

It should be ready in time for Bristol Manor Farm to play their first match in the Champions League.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:48:41 »

It should be ready in time for Bristol Manor Farm to play their first match in the Champions League.
may well be true ..but its a more commendable scheme than having rapid guided buses flying about all over the place

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 14:47:45 »

may well be true ..but its a more commendable scheme than having rapid guided buses flying about all over the place

And ^20 million is not that much compared to the price of some of the bus schemes (I think the stupid Bath BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) link to the park and ride was priced at ^16million)
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 15:07:37 »

Grin I hope they'll increase capacity at Sea Mills to cater for 75,000 BMF (Bristol Manor Farm (football club)) supporters.

Seriously though, I am pleased that whichever quango it is have a serious plan to develop local railways, although calling two or three half-hourly train services a "Metro" is almost as much of an exaggeration as calling a bus service "Rapid Transit", especially as Metros usually serve the city centre, unlike our train services.

However I'll be amazed if central government allocates a single extra penny to the plan -- they've made it quite clear that their number one transport priority is Heathrow, and the remaining priorities are London, the Southeast, the Midlands, the North West, the North East, Wales, and Scotland.  Cheesy
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 17:42:19 »

A wonderful plan and sorely needed by the biggest city outside of London in the south. I'm just a little sceptical and as UK (United Kingdom) plc is ready to call in the administrators, just where is the wonga coming from?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 17:52:02 by G.Uard » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 19:55:26 »

It scheme looks good, and I'm glad the proposals to rename Bristol Parkway, "Bristol Gateway" appear to have been dropped! Cheesy

(BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) is not the "Gateway" to Bristol, Temple Meads is! Doh!)
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 20:38:28 »

The "Gateway" concept was more envisaged as such stations as being "Gateways" to the rail network. Whether the passenger arrives at a "Gateway" station by bus, car or walks/cycles, the idea is to make access to the rail network as easy and as pleasant an experience as possible for existing & potential rail users alike.

"Gateway" station upgrades would include (but not be restricted to) enhanced bus/rail interchange, extended car/cycle parking and vastly improved passenger waiting facilities in order to try and acheive this.

Frankly though, I dont care what they call it as long as a genuine effort is made to push the "Bristol Metro" concept forward to reality.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 20:42:24 »

Ah, I understand the concept now. But "Bristol Gateway" indicates "Gateway to Bristol" to me.

Such upgrades would be great (perhaps at more stations).

A point: it is a shame that 4 tracks from Parkway to Temple Meads hasn't been included! Let's speed up the expresses....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 20:47:47 »

On the other hand, the Rapid Transit route has hit problems: from the Bristol Evening Post -

Details for a high-speed bus route through the city centre have been revealed ^ but so has news of spiralling costs.  A Rapid Transit bus link from Ashton Vale to Temple Meads was initially expected to cost ^35 million and be complete by 2013.  But a report going before the West of England Partnership (WEP) on Thursday shows that the scheme is now likely to cost ^47.3 million ^12.3 million or 35 per cent more than planned.  And up to 10 per cent of the final cost which had been expected to come from the private sector could now have to be met by taxpayer, as the recession hits developers who were due to contribute.

See http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/New-Bristol-bus-route-revealed/article-626657-detail/article.html

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 21:09:46 »

A point: it is a shame that 4 tracks from Parkway to Temple Meads hasn't been included! Let's speed up the expresses....

Extension of four-track railway between Filton Abbey Wood-Bristol Temple Meads is in the CANBER (Campaign Against the New Beeching Report) plans, and a third line on the Filton Bank is in the West Of England Partnership plans.

On the other hand, the Rapid Transit route has hit problems: from the Bristol Evening Post -

There's a lot of that sort of thing about, Chris....
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3987.msg31214#msg31214

bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 17:54:20 »

Details for a high-speed bus route through the city centre have been revealed ^ but so has news of spiralling costs.  A Rapid Transit bus link from Ashton Vale to Temple Meads was initially expected to cost ^35 million and be complete by 2013.  But a report going before the West of England Partnership (WEP) on Thursday shows that the scheme is now likely to cost ^47.3 million ^12.3 million or 35 per cent more than planned.  And up to 10 per cent of the final cost which had been expected to come from the private sector could now have to be met by taxpayer, as the recession hits developers who were due to contribute.

See http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/New-Bristol-bus-route-revealed/article-626657-detail/article.html
The one thing I can say in the council's favour about this is that the increase in costs appears to be the result of their changes to the proposals to make it less rubbish than it was originally going to be, for example diverting it to serve Temple Meads (I'm baffled as to how anyone could not have thought of that to begin with) Roll Eyes.

However I'm concerned that us council tax payers now have to find ^4.7 million for it.... in Bristol any increase in spending has to be met by costcutting elsewhere, yet we already spend less money per head than any comparable city, so it's hard to see where cuts can be made to fund this rubbish. And the route will benefit such a tiny percentage of residents, why should we all have to pay for it?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 21:27:46 »

And the route will benefit such a tiny percentage of residents, why should we all have to pay for it?

Erm ... because it will eventually link up with the airport, presumably? Roll Eyes

New transport links to the airport will take place alongside the development, including improvements to the A38, a new fleet of buses on the Flyer service from Temple Meads, an extension to the Rapid Transit route from Ashton Vale, new bus services to Weston-super-Mare and Bath and a link route around south Bristol.

See http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Bristol-Airport-reveals-expansion-plans/article-632215-detail/article.html

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 01:03:59 »

talking of rapid bus schemes the one that runs in Swansea charges ^2.50 per single journey....so how much is the Bristol one going to cost,seeing as build costs are so high its only reasonable that the fares will be to

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: