Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:15:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol connections: Metro, Bus Rapid Transit, PTE, ITA and local councils - discussion  (Read 283794 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2012, 21:28:18 »

I expect Ms Greening's forthcoming announcement (see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10987.msg114060#msg114060) will also tie in with Network Rail's shortly announced projects to be funded in Control Period 5, 2014-2019.

It's the other way round I think.  DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will announce the projects it wishes to be funded, and the funds available for them.  ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) then decide if the funds are adequate for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to do what DfT wants.  If you read the Express's article in woody's post right through, you can see they aren't referring just to an electrification announcement, as the headline suggests, but to the whole CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) HLOS (High Level Output Specification).

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2012, 23:17:43 »

I expect Ms Greening's forthcoming announcement (see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10987.msg114060#msg114060) will also tie in with Network Rail's shortly announced projects to be funded in Control Period 5, 2014-2019.

It's the other way round I think.  DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will announce the projects it wishes to be funded, and the funds available for them.  ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) then decide if the funds are adequate for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to do what DfT wants.  If you read the Express's article in woody's post right through, you can see they aren't referring just to an electrification announcement, as the headline suggests, but to the whole CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) HLOS (High Level Output Specification).

Paul

Too right! There will be some serious horse trading going on behind the scenes, and some political scores to be dealt with, too. Bristol went for the Mayor, so needs to be shown it was worth it, but the purse strings can't be loosened too much. Though it may help that Theresa Villiers MP (Member of Parliament), Minister with responsibility for Rail Strategy is an alumnus (or is it alumna for a lady?) of Bristol University, so will have experienced the problems of getting around at first hand. But the coalition looks to be entering a new, darker, phase. Yet the Prime Minister was here extolling the virtues of the Enterpise Zone last year, and has been followed by a phalanx of junior ministers promising goodies.

If my auntie had nuts, she'd be my uncle. Time will tell.

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:20 »

Perhaps you should now change  your name to Four Track Soon!!
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2012, 12:56:39 »

Yes, lots of good news across GW (Great Western) land in the HLOS (High Level Output Specification) statement released today, including the quadrupling of Filton Bank and the redevelopment of Bristol Temple Meads, including opening up the old train shed. Have a look at the thread in Looking Forward thread.

Cheers,
TLM
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 15:06:24 »

Perhaps you should now change  your name to Four Track Soon!!

It's that, or drop the exclamation mark. I shall mark the event somehow.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2012, 18:41:19 »

From Campaign for Bristol Metro

Four track for Filton Bank? That^s a yes
Posted on July 16, 2012  by commsofficer

A corporate sweat broke out on the forehead of the four authorities when dawn broke this morning, as we waited nervously to see if the government had funded our four tracks to Filton Bank.

And then Rail Minister Theresa Villiers swept into Temple Meads (looking a lot calmer than us) to confirm that four-track from Temple Meads to Filton Bank will go ahead.

Anyway, it^s all down to you again, wonderful public who like trains. Four track is the crucial bit of the jigsaw that we have to put in place to get Greater Bristol Metro Rail to work. So many, many thanks to the hundreds of you who wrote special letters to the ministers about it. Half-hourly trains in Bristol and the region, a new line to Portishead, and all those re-opened stations can actually happen.

So there we are: Four Track. Now!

In other news:

Bristol Evening Post have given details of reactions around the area:
TRANSPORT ministers have given the green light for a package of long-awaited rail improvements ^ the first step in making the dream of a Bristol Metro possible.

Government minister Theresa Villiers unveiled a series of improvements for the rail network around Temple Meads on a visit to the city.
 ​

Transport minister Theresa Villiers at Temple Meads

Yesterday's announcement, part of a multi-billion-pound package of improvements nationwide, means two extra lines of track will be opened between Temple Meads and Filton.

The move means that a huge bottle-neck will be eased, opening the way up for increased services in and out of Bristol's main station.

There are also plans to reopen the old Digby Wyatt sheds at the side of the station ^ creating two new platforms in the process.

Network Rail, the firm which operates Temple Meads, has announced it wants to create a new main entrance at the station, opening into a main concourse which would run under the existing platforms.

Ms Villiers said: "This announcement is really great news for Bristol. Improving our transport system is a key part of the Government's strategy.

"We think it is vital for the region's economy that we have a transport system that works and is affordable."

The minister also confirmed that Bristol will get a direct rail link to Heathrow Airport, which will see current journey times cut by 30 minutes.

The line between the city centre and Filton was reduced from four to two tracks in the early 1980s, preventing more trains from being run and causing delays due to congestion. The widening of the track is seen as crucial for the half-hourly services to all local stations that are proposed under the Metro scheme.

A spokesman for the pressure group Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways said: "This is fantastic news. This piece of vital investment will enable half-hourly services to all local stations ^ the Greater Bristol Metro ^ something FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) has been campaigning for, for many years."

"We are delighted, because it will make an integrated transport system possible. When the extra tracks are laid and new services running, the train will become even more convenient for local and longer distance journeys.

"This is a victory for local campaigners, our local politicians and the public, who have lobbied long and hard for a half-hourly service."

Patrick Hallgate, who is in charge of Network Rail in the South West, said: "We are excited by these Government announcements to add to the already massive investment programme on the Western route.

"Temple Meads station is at the heart of the new Enterprise Zone and these improvements are vital in terms of opening up the city.

"The station is no longer fit for purpose and what we are trying to do is create a station suited to the needs of Bristol as it is today.

"We had suspected that these items would be included in the new investment programme but it is good to see the Government's commitment to these schemes."

The business community also welcomed the announcement.

Phil Smith, managing director of Business West, which represents the area's companies, said: "This is great news for the South West.

"Our recent survey of businesses across the West of England area found that traffic congestion was the most significant disadvantage for businesses located in the sub-region.

"Business supports the Government's strategy to provide long-term strategic investment to improve transport infrastructure, rather than simply looking at short-term fixes. We will continue to push for a modern and efficient rail system that supports growth and improves competitiveness."

James Durie, Director of Bristol Chamber of Commerce, said he was particularly pleased with the latest news.

He said: "Rail is one element of our transport infrastructure that our members constantly tell us that they want improved.

"It is fantastic news that the Secretary of State wishes the industry to undertake work to expand the capacity of the railway serving passengers to and from Bristol. "Increasing route capacity into Bristol from Filton Abbey Wood and increasing station capacity at Bristol Temple Meads by bringing back into railway use the historic station building, will be a big boost for business in this region."

Transport Secretary Justine Greening also announced yesterday that the full details of the next Great Western rail franchise will be made public by the end of the week.

All seems rather upbeat to me!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:19:50 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2012, 19:16:40 »

It's that, or drop the exclamation mark. I shall mark the event somehow.

A celebratory tipple in the nearest pub to the location of the four-tracking perhaps?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2012, 21:16:50 »

Not to be ruled out, by any means! Although, whilst I am not a man of temperance, I don't think I have been in any of the closest boozers. With the sole exception of the Coach and Horses in Stapleton Road, that is, and the Farm if that is close enough to count. Cheers!  Grin - Four Pints Now!

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2012, 21:25:15 »

Coach and Horses? Lawks. I'd avoid that place at all costs.

What about 'The Sugar Loaf' out the 'back' of Stapleton Road station on St Mark's Road. Much more agreeable boozer.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2012, 22:03:49 »

Strangely, I work close to there occasionally, and was due to accompany a colleague to there one recent Friday luncheon. Fate, alas, intervened, so I have yet to make my debut. My colleague recommends it, so next time I get thirsty...

Now, please!
JaminBob

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2012, 19:13:49 »

There is a different map here: http://travelwest.info/sites/default/files/12.%20Greater%20Bristol%20Metro%20Map%20March%202012.pdf which is a little more detailed.

An hourly service to Henbury seems like a missed opportunity.

My own un-informed personal opinion would be to close Severn Beach and run those trains around the loop to Parkway, and perhaps Yate where they could terminate.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2012, 19:29:41 »

My own un-informed personal opinion would be to close Severn Beach and run those trains around the loop to Parkway, and perhaps Yate where they could terminate.

The 113,000 annual passengers at Severn Beach may disagree with you. A near, four-fold increase over the last 10 years. The bus services in Severn Beach are inadequate and none go direct to Avonmouth/Clifton/City Centre. Those passengers would be greatly socially disadvantaged.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2012, 21:11:19 »

There is a different map here: http://travelwest.info/sites/default/files/12.%20Greater%20Bristol%20Metro%20Map%20March%202012.pdf which is a little more detailed.

An hourly service to Henbury seems like a missed opportunity.

Why does there seem to be a  reverse at Filton Abbey Wood?
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2012, 18:30:18 »

The 113,000 annual passengers at Severn Beach may disagree with you. A near, four-fold increase over the last 10 years. The bus services in Severn Beach are inadequate and none go direct to Avonmouth/Clifton/City Centre. Those passengers would be greatly socially disadvantaged.

Some of them already are, imho.

Just the way the map is drawn, possibly as an acknowledgement that the MoD building is a major stop from any direction. There certainly isn't a turn to the east there, or my daughter would have to move her desk.

(PS - I added a comma, to celebrate the good news. I am the master of understatement)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 18:35:57 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
JaminBob

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2012, 12:07:02 »

Some of them already are, imho.

Just the way the map is drawn, possibly as an acknowledgement that the MoD building is a major stop from any direction. There certainly isn't a turn to the east there, or my daughter would have to move her desk.

(PS - I added a comma, to celebrate the good news. I am the master of understatement)

Yes i think its just a graphical thing.

113,000 is about 300 a day. Surely a properly timed frequent bus with links to Avonmouth, P&R (Park and Ride) and the mass of employers currently not served by anything would be cheaper than maintaining the branch and benefit more people.

But i do see your point, ideally, both would be served.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: