I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:44:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol connections: Metro, Bus Rapid Transit, PTE, ITA and local councils - discussion  (Read 283795 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 14, 2015, 13:10:06 »

Good point - the cross-platform interchange would have to be at St Andrews Road, not Avonmouth.

Just so I understand: Is 'St Andrews MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker)' the entrance I referred to as King Road?
Yes - though officially it's called St Andrews Jn. (MCB), despite that junction no longer existing on the single line to Severn Beach (it's the tail end of the coal-hopper lines). 

St Andrews Road station has only one platform and is rather hemmed in by the coal-hopper lines on one side and the port on the other. You might squeeze in a second line along the back, or maybe not.

At a recent FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) meeting, Mark Weston (Conservative councillor for - hey! - Henbury) suggested that there is a pathing problem that came about after the Severn Beach line was singled; if I remember correctly he said that in effect the main through route was given over to the Port for freight. The fact that this led to less-than-ideal crossing movements wasn't considered that important given that the passenger service was seen to be on its way out.

I'm not sure if this is related. Currently the bulk terminal (coal-hopper lines) operates via Henbury and does not need to interact with the single line from Avonmouth to Severn Beach. The single-line operation is described as "One train working without staff". However, there are some sidings at West Wharf on the other side of the single line, so a few trains have to cross it at Holesmouth Junction (by the bulk terminal entrance). They thus enter the single line's block, and the relevant rule is "NB a train cannot be routed between Hallen Marsh Jn and Avonmouth West Wharf if another train occupies the section between Avonmouth and Severn Beach (inclusive of Severn Beach turnround time)".

Presumably single line working would need to be replaced by full signalling on the section from Avonmouth to Holesmouth Junction, and might not be worth retaining on the rest.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 13:23:13 by stuving » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2015, 14:39:42 »

Good point - the cross-platform interchange would have to be at St Andrews Road, not Avonmouth.

Just so I understand: Is 'St Andrews MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker)' the entrance I referred to as King Road?
Yes - though officially it's called St Andrews Jn. (MCB), despite that junction no longer existing on the single line to Severn Beach (it's the tail end of the coal-hopper lines). 

St Andrews Road station has only one platform and is rather hemmed in by the coal-hopper lines on one side and the port on the other. You might squeeze in a second line along the back, or maybe not.

At a recent FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) meeting, Mark Weston (Conservative councillor for - hey! - Henbury) suggested that there is a pathing problem that came about after the Severn Beach line was singled; if I remember correctly he said that in effect the main through route was given over to the Port for freight. The fact that this led to less-than-ideal crossing movements wasn't considered that important given that the passenger service was seen to be on its way out.

I'm not sure if this is related. Currently the bulk terminal (coal-hopper lines) operates via Henbury and does not need to interact with the single line from Avonmouth to Severn Beach. The single-line operation is described as "One train working without staff". However, there are some sidings at West Wharf on the other side of the single line, so a few trains have to cross it at Holesmouth Junction (by the bulk terminal entrance). They thus enter the single line's block, and the relevant rule is "NB a train cannot be routed between Hallen Marsh Jn and Avonmouth West Wharf if another train occupies the section between Avonmouth and Severn Beach (inclusive of Severn Beach turnround time)".

Presumably single line working would need to be replaced by full signalling on the section from Avonmouth to Holesmouth Junction, and might not be worth retaining on the rest.

Thanks for that explanation.  Smiley

I just wish I could get to the bottom of how Charlotte Leslie sees the loop service dovetailing with the service pattern that's already planned along the Severn Beach line.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #542 on: March 12, 2015, 17:58:51 »

From the Bristol Post:

LIVE UPDATES: Bailiffs move in to evict Stapleton Allotment tree-top protesters

Bailiffs are moving in to evict the Stapleton Allotment protesters

After more than a month making a stand against Metrobus plans by living in trees above Stapleton Allotments, protesters look set to be evicted this morning.

According to a Bristol Post reporter on the scene, at least 30 bailiffs have surrounded a make-shift camp with more being dropped off by bus.

The move comes two days after the council secured a second possession order for land in the area occupied by the Rising Up Group, which has said it will strongly resist any moves to get them off the land.

It is not the first time there has been activity by security staff at the site, however reports from the scene suggest this is the first time bailiffs have been making obvious moves towards the camp.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 12, 2015, 19:07:55 »

So that's why I was treated to the sight of a naked bottom on the lunchtime BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West while I was eating my sandwich!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 12, 2015, 20:03:50 »

Well.one of your fellow moderators thinks Metrobust is a bit  of a bum deal after all.....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #545 on: March 12, 2015, 20:19:55 »

As someone involved in the noble game for many years, I cannot believe that my colleague bobm hasn't seen more than the occasional bare bottom from time to time.

And she seemed rather cheeky, too:

One of the protesters was seen being chased naked by five bailiffs, after shedding her clothes while they tried to detain her.

She eventually managed to put them back on before slipping back into the camp and being evicted again.

Here she is with clothes on...

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #546 on: March 19, 2015, 22:59:44 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

MetroBus final route work approved for Bristol

The ^200m project will create 50km of segregated bus-ways and bus lanes

Building work on the third section of the MetroBus scheme around Bristol will begin next month, the government has confirmed.

It was announced in Wednesday's Budget that the North Fringe to Hengrove route had been granted full approval which allows construction to begin.

The ^200m project will provide an express bus service on 31 miles (50km) of segregated bus-ways and bus lanes.

Permission for the third route was granted by council planners last year.

The joint project between Bristol City Council, North Somerset Council and South Gloucestershire Council is expected to have bus services in operation next year.

There has been some opposition to the scheme locally, including a tree-top protest camp set up at Stapleton Allotments which is being relocated as part of wider work on the the project.

Protesters spent 40 days on-site but were evicted last week after Bristol City Council was given the backing of the High Court to clear the land.

The North Fringe to Hengrove route (in pink) has been approved by the government

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 19, 2015, 23:03:13 »

Pah!

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #548 on: March 19, 2015, 23:38:44 »

Purely out of idle curiosity on my part ... is that 'Pah!' as in 'Undecided', 'Not Convinced' or 'Rabidly Opposed'?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #549 on: March 20, 2015, 06:47:09 »

The North Fringe to Hengrove route (in pink) has been approved by the government

Looking at the map ... that appears to serve Parson Street Station, Bedminster in one direction and have a Bristol Parkway terminus for some legs.   The nearest it comes to Bristol Temple Meads is Redcliffe Hill.

I am not a Bristolian / regular visitor to the city so rarely comment here on Bristol matters - though it does vwey much form a part of the North (Chippenham, Corsham, Melksham) and West Wilts travel to work area.   Indeed, on Wednesday evening I stayed at the Mercure hotel on Redcliffe Hill and walked there from the station.   We were picked up for an event outside the City Centre yesterday, and the organisers had the coach travel from both the hotel AND from Temple Meads station, which gives rise to the view that Redcliffe Hill and Temple Meads are NOT close enough to each other to be considered the same place / an adequate interchange. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 20, 2015, 09:14:56 »

Purely out of idle curiosity on my part ... is that 'Pah!' as in 'Undecided', 'Not Convinced' or 'Rabidly Opposed'?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

As if you need to ask, CfN!

Looking at the map ... that appears to serve Parson Street Station, Bedminster in one direction and have a Bristol Parkway terminus for some legs.   The nearest it comes to Bristol Temple Meads is Redcliffe Hill.

We were picked up for an event outside the City Centre yesterday, and the organisers had the coach travel from both the hotel AND from Temple Meads station, which gives rise to the view that Redcliffe Hill and Temple Meads are NOT close enough to each other to be considered the same place / an adequate interchange. 

If those were the only downsides, I wouldn't be so anti. Truth is that this is a road building scheme first, with  thin bus services to justify asking for the money for public transport. Over ^200 million for a bus lane?

You noticed as well that MetroBust connects Parkway to near Temple Meads, then Bedminster and Parson Street. So do trains, without congestion. That makes it even dafter.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 20, 2015, 09:36:41 »

At Redcliffe Roundabout work has started to reshape the junction, better to accommodate MetroBus.

FT, N! will no doubt be delighted to read that you can follow the spending of every soundly-invested penny on this project at http://travelwest.info/projects/metrobus/metrobusbuild

Not sure if MetroBus really qualifies as a 'Campaign for new and improved services' now that work has started...  I think most would argue that it never did, but there isn't a 'Campaigns against squandering public money' board.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 20, 2015, 15:24:32 »

FT, N! will no doubt be delighted to read that you can follow the spending of every soundly-invested penny on this project at http://travelwest.info/projects/metrobus/metrobusbuild

Not sure if MetroBus really qualifies as a 'Campaign for new and improved services' now that work has started...  I think most would argue that it never did, but there isn't a 'Campaigns against squandering public money' board.

FT, N! is already aware of the scant information being put out. t seems odd that the first job in a bus scheme is to enhance cycling and pedestrian access at a place where no bus has ever had trouble turning in the past. A bit of mission creep, maybe?

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 20, 2015, 16:37:47 »

...scant information...

To be fair, there's 170 documents available online for the revised route of AVTM alone (search 13/05648/FB on the BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) Planning Portal...). Without this I would have been unable to tell you that, according to one of the documents, the new bus infrastructure will have a 'medium positive' impact on the 52.6% of the population who are athiests in the catchment area.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 21, 2015, 10:56:28 »

At Redcliffe Roundabout work has started to reshape the junction, better to accommodate MetroBus.
Which Redcliffe roundabout? The one by the church, at the end of the very-occasionally-swings bridge? The one the other side of the river, at the end of East St? Or the one at the end of Victoria St, that used to have a flyover many years ago?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: