Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 17:03:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol connections: Metro, Bus Rapid Transit, PTE, ITA and local councils - discussion  (Read 286260 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 23, 2016, 23:27:17 »

Ooh, is that an Argos?
</completely and utterly OT>

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 23, 2016, 23:40:47 »

Indeed it is. The trusty squirrelmobile.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2016, 12:32:31 »

Thank you, Red Squirrel - useful pictures. The "public transport" plan for the South Bristol Link Road is for 3 buses per hour. As they will not be heavily laden, I can see them being dropped within 3 years or so. At the public inquiry, a figure of £2.4 million was quoted for works to four bridges. Ashton bridge (don't think it ever swang) alone is costing over £4 million. In fairness, it needed doing anyway - it used to be popular with walkers and cyclists in a way that the diversionary route is not.

I think it reasonable to leave debate on MetroBust here, given the title of the thread. It is the only way it is ever going to be integrated with Metro Rail.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:05:53 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2016, 14:23:23 »

Ashton bridge (don't think it ever swang)...

I can't prove that it ever swunged, but I am confident that it was intended to be able to...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2016, 16:48:32 »

There seems to be a pier in the way of any rotation. It looked a darn sight better then than it does now, but the same is true of me.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2016, 16:49:54 »

Does there? Where?

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2016, 19:19:30 »

Before the Cumberland basin flyover network this was the main route out of Bristol ! I remember going over the top bit in a lodekka 85 to Posset whilst growing up.

Wikipedia states:

Designed and opened as the freight-only Wapping Wharf Branch, the bridge was opened on 3 October 1906 by the Lady Mayoress, Mrs A.J.Smith. With both railway and road operations and bridge maintenance undertaken by the GWR (Great Western Railway), it opened on average ten times a day until February 1934. The controlling railway signals were interlocked with the signal boxes on either side of the river, making it impossible for signals to be cleared unless the bridge span was locked in the closed position.
Decommissioning
Bristol Corporation rescinded the GWR's obligation to maintain the swing apparatus in 1951,after which it was welded shut. After the completion of a new A370 road dual carriageway system in the docks area, and the opening of the replacement Plimsoll Bridge to the west in 1965, the road deck and signal cabin were removed.

The BHR's connection with Temple Meads was closed and the track lifted in 1964, and the Canons Marsh branch closed the following year. The Western Fuel Company continued to use the line from the Portishead branch over the swing bridge and Wapping marshalling yard for commercial coal traffic. The rail line over the brige was single-tracked in 1976, and shut operationally after Western Fuel ceased railway operations in 1987. The bridge was revisited by GWR Pannier Tank No.1369 in 1996, prior to the re-opening of the residual BHR as a visitor attraction.
Present
Grade II listed in May 2000, The single track rail line remains in place over the bridge, but is highly overgrown. Network Rail later lifted the track from the bridge to Ashton Gate. The other side of the railway level has been converted into rail trail foot and cycle path, part of the Pill pathway. It is listed on the Heritage at Risk register.
In 2015 it was announced that the bridge would close for a period of 12 months from the autumn for a complete renovation in connection with the MetroBus project. When reopened, the bridge will have a separate single bus lane and a wider cycle and pedestrian path.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 19:24:42 by chuffed » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 25, 2016, 09:38:38 »

I think it reasonable to leave debate on MetroBust here, given the title of the thread. It is the only way it is ever going to be integrated with Metro Rail.

I agree that the thread title is right; I was more referring to the rest of the tree: Sideshoots - associated subjects > Campaigns for new and improved services. Given that we're in the construction phase (and that the only campaign I'm aware of was agin it) I wonder if it might sit more comfortably under Journey by Journey > Bristol Commuters?

Of course, not being abreast of SMF (Simple Machines Forum - The software we use on this site) or this implementation of it, I have no idea how much work that would involve...

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #593 on: February 26, 2016, 00:22:14 »

I agree that the thread title is right; I was more referring to the rest of the tree: Sideshoots - associated subjects > Campaigns for new and improved services. Given that we're in the construction phase (and that the only campaign I'm aware of was agin it) I wonder if it might sit more comfortably under Journey by Journey > Bristol Commuters?

Of course, not being abreast of SMF (Simple Machines Forum - The software we use on this site) or this implementation of it, I have no idea how much work that would involve...

After clearly enormous effort on my part: consider it done (and it has been). CfN.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 26, 2016, 09:18:31 »

I stand corrected. My apologies, Red Squirrel, for ever doubting you. The Wiki post demonstrates a trait still found in Bristol to this day.

With both railway and road operations and bridge maintenance undertaken by the GWR (Great Western Railway), it opened on average ten times a day until February 1934...

...Bristol Corporation rescinded the GWR's obligation to maintain the swing apparatus in 1951,[1][2] after which it was welded shut.

When something is necessary, wait for 17 years before making a decision.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #595 on: August 12, 2016, 01:23:21 »

From the Bristol Post:

More traffic problems for Bristol as MetroBus work will see lane closures in city centre

Roadworks in Bristol city centre

Drivers passing through the city centre face extra delays when a lane is shut to allow the next stage of MetroBus works to take place.

The closure will affect one of the busiest stretches of road in the entire city - St Augustine's Parade at its junction with Colston Street, close to the Hippodrome theatre.

The 100m stretch of road will be reduced from four lanes to three, leaving two lanes heading towards Anchor Road and Park Street and just one lane heading in the direction of Lewins Mead, the Bearpit and Baldwin Street.

Traffic will be restricted for two weeks from Sunday, August 21, by the closure, which is being enforced to allow "essential piling works" to be carried out.

The lane closure is part of an £8 million remodelling of the Centre which has already been underway for nearly a year, changing traffic flows to accommodate MetroBus services.

A MetroBus spokesperson said: "These works need to be completed before construction of a new link road between Baldwin Street and St Augustine's Parade can begin. The reduction in traffic lanes will lead to reduced traffic capacity in the city centre for two weeks. It is therefore recommended that through-traffic coming from the Triangle and Cumberland Basin areas that does not need to access the city centre should seek an alternative route."

Workers will drill piles to a depth of between 15m and 20m (65ft) to build a new bridge deck will be built over the old city harbour and River Frome.

The bridge will be underneath the current surface of the Centre and is needed to bear the weight of the new link road, which is expected to open in the New Year.

MetroBus backers Bristol City Council, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset councils say the link road will lead to "major changes in traffic movements in the city centre".

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 12, 2016, 11:10:07 »

In terms of disruption caused to transport in Bristol, MetroBust is close to beating the Luftwaffe. At least we made friends with them afterwards.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 12, 2016, 11:46:47 »

So what exactly have they been doing behind those hoardings for the last 6+ months if they are only piling for the bridge now?

Incidentally, the (badly) doctored image is from Nantes Busway line 4, which has been plagued by capacity issues more or less since it was built. Although there have been surveys done that say passengers prefer the busway to the tram*, the proposed line 5 seems likely to be a tram rather than a bus, and the city has warned that line 4 may need to be converted to a tramway in order to provide enough capacity.

* Though of course we all know that surveys can be framed to provide the 'correct' answer   
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 12, 2016, 12:52:15 »

In terms of disruption caused to transport in Bristol, MetroBust is close to beating the Luftwaffe. At least we made friends with them afterwards.
There is hope; in thirty years time an episode of Faulty Transport will give us the classic line, "Don't mention the buses!"

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 12, 2016, 21:01:43 »

So what exactly have they been doing behind those hoardings for the last 6+ months if they are only piling for the bridge now?

It's in the preparation, you know! In fairness, the powers that be have been very busy putting the road layout back to what it was before the last "improvement", albeit to a more modern and stringent regime. In terms of explanation as to why the work is so extensive and wildly expensive compared to the works that changed it from what it is being changed to, the answer is similar to why Manchester United sold Paul Pogba for £900,000 and have just paid £89,000,000 to get him back.

Incidentally, the (badly) doctored image is from Nantes Busway line 4, which has been plagued by capacity issues more or less since it was built. Although there have been surveys done that say passengers prefer the busway to the tram*, the proposed line 5 seems likely to be a tram rather than a bus, and the city has warned that line 4 may need to be converted to a tramway in order to provide enough capacity.

* Though of course we all know that surveys can be framed to provide the 'correct' answer   

"Question 1: Have you stopped beating your wife yet?    Yes / No"

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: