Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:28:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: X Country HSTs  (Read 23366 times)
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 12:39:56 »

Ha Ha...well as I live in York, I agree with the Leeds comment.
However, now the splendid Leeds Brewery has taken a hold in Tetley-town, you should try the Brewery Tap in New Station Street...a bottles throw from the station!...bit off topic for sure, but can't let the comment slip by! Tongue
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 17:10:36 »

Did Reading Penrith once on the Sussex Scot but it was mark 2s and a duff and routed via Manchester so the duff didn't come off until Preston.

There was a lady doing Brighton Scotland. She had settled into a corner had her reading and sandwiches.

Won't tell it was with a party of teenage girls from the Slough school my wife worked in, many of whom hadn't been on a train before.

Do remember arrivng back at Reading on Sunday evening and getting off the train and smelling the Thames Valley a heavy oily smell quite a contrast after the Lake Distric air.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 12:40:44 »

Tony Miles of Modern Railway (posting in uk.railway) has just asked AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) about this supposed HST (High Speed Train) withdrawal proposal, and their reply was apparently a flat denial...

Paul
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 20:48:37 »

with the double voyagers can they not just remove the 2 middle driving ends wouldnt it be better to have a long distance train in which you can walk all the way threw? could also do something amusing like a 2 car voyager with the 2 spare ends.... how many would this seat? ohh you missed my silly ideas!!! admit it
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 00:16:59 »

with the double voyagers can they not just remove the 2 middle driving ends wouldnt it be better to have a long distance train in which you can walk all the way threw? could also do something amusing like a 2 car voyager with the 2 spare ends.... how many would this seat? ohh you missed my silly ideas!!! admit it

No good, as the resultant trains would be only six cars - inadequate.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 10:39:43 »

No good, as the resultant trains would be only six cars - inadequate.

8 cars if it was done using 2 current 5 car voyagers!

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 15:58:21 »

But that would completely counter productive! Why not have 8 car (2x4car) services? Then you still have the 5 car trains for use elsewhere.

The idea should be: 8 car Voyagers (2x4) on key Plymouth to Edinburgh trains. The five cars should then be used on Bournemouth trains.

Removing 2 cars from a 5 coach unit would result in the continuation of the status quo of 4 car trains down to South Coast, which is dreadful.

VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) should give up 5 voyagers (they seem to have an abundance of them) to allow for 5 HST (High Speed Train) diagrams and 5 double voyager diagrams. that would solve many problems with overcrowding.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 15:59:48 »

The idea should be: 8 car Voyagers (2x4) on key Plymouth to Edinburgh trains.

No it shouldn't, you aren't seriously suggesting double staffing them?

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have enough problems finding staff as it is.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 16:58:27 »

The idea should be: 8 car Voyagers (2x4) on key Plymouth to Edinburgh trains.

No it shouldn't, you aren't seriously suggesting double staffing them?

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have enough problems finding staff as it is.

I agree here.  Also people tend to get on the nearest door to them, instead of walking up/down to the end of the platform to get on the front/rear of the train.

Therefore, you would have 1 voyager rammed, and another relatively empty, and once you are on a rammed part of a double voyager, there is no way for you to walk through to the other voyager to get a good seat(s).

Voyagers do need to be bigger and more spacious, but doubling up is not the answer.  This just causes new problems.  We need a diesel equivelant of the Pendili no in the  'west'!!   Lips sealed Cheesy

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 17:06:42 »

ordering new carrages for voyagers like they have done to extend pendos must be cheaper than whole new trains? double voyagers are just silly double crew well sometimes..... and like someone else said (sorry i had your name in my head) you end up with 4 sardine tins at the front and 4 lightly loaded coaches with more litter than passengers
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 18:09:26 »

Do you really need double staff? The guard and trolley can transfer between units. Remove First Class on one unit, so no need for a second steward. (it never seems to be busy)

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 18:58:12 »

Do you really need double staff? The guard and trolley can transfer between units. Remove First Class on one unit, so no need for a second steward. (it never seems to be busy)

im pretty sure a guard does much more than check tickets.....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 19:10:55 »

I'm pretty sure a guard does much more than check tickets.....

Yes, and...
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 19:11:52 »

Yes, a guard is needed in each voyager.

What if someone falls ill, needs an ambulance.  Or a fight breaks out needing police assisstance etc.

I think it would be pretty risky having a rammed voyager, with no guard to offer assisstance and to patrol the safety of the train AT ALL TIMES!!!

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 19:13:44 »

Yes, a guard is needed in each voyager.

What if someone falls ill, needs an ambulance.  Or a fight breaks out needing police assisstance etc.

I think it would be pretty risky having a rammed voyager, with no guard to offer assisstance and to patrol the safety of the train AT ALL TIMES!!!

And should the 2 units split in traffic each one has a guard.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: