Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:16:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: X Country HSTs  (Read 23798 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 19:15:07 »

trolley can transfer between units.

What planet do you live in sometimes!!?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 19:41:03 »

What happens on a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train them? They don't have guards. In fact my scenario would be better than a DOO train, as there would be one guard.

And why can't trolleys transfer between units at a station stop?

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) don't split trains. Even if they did, the extra guard could simply join at the split point.

Don't get me wrong, the best thing to happen would be for a Voyager lengthening project. But the way things stand, it would be better for some 2x4 voyagers to reduce overcrowding. I am trying to put forward some ideas, there is no need to reply in such a way!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 19:54:43 »

Yes, a guard is needed in each voyager.

What if someone falls ill, needs an ambulance.  Or a fight breaks out needing police assisstance etc.

I think it would be pretty risky having a rammed voyager, with no guard to offer assisstance and to patrol the safety of the train AT ALL TIMES!!!

My goodness ... how times change.   In my youth, we had "singles" in slam door coaches - 9 compartments each with six seats in a carriage. Oddly, fights didn't break out very often between the commuters  Tongue

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 19:58:53 »

Lengthening Voyagers is i believe virtually impossible, due to the electronic systems involved

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2009, 20:21:54 »

What if someone falls ill, needs an ambulance.  Or a fight breaks out needing police assisstance etc.

I think it would be pretty risky having a rammed voyager, with no guard to offer assisstance and to patrol the safety of the train AT ALL TIMES!!!

My goodness ... how times change.   In my youth, we had "singles" in slam door coaches - 9 compartments each with six seats in a carriage. Oddly, fights didn't break out very often between the commuters  Tongue

Exactly, it seems that we can't cope these days. Just like we can't tell that a wet floor is slippery. This PC nonsense needs to stop.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 20:23:15 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) don't split trains. Even if they did, the extra guard could simply join at the split point.

Don't get me wrong, the best thing to happen would be for a Voyager lengthening project. But the way things stand, it would be better for some 2x4 voyagers to reduce overcrowding. I am trying to put forward some ideas, there is no need to reply in such a way!

'XC don't split trains. Even if they did...'  Is that hedging your bets?

Of course AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) split/join trains en route.  I've been on such trains at both Reading and Newcastle, where only one portion has carried on.  The only mystery about it is there is nothing mentioned in the timetables.  There are a some 2 x 4 car services - I was on one from Bournemouth to Southampton on Friday last.  Again, there is no sensible way of predicting when they run...

Paul
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 20:24:52 »

Exactly, it seems that we can't cope these days. Just like we can't tell that a wet floor is slippery. This PC nonsense needs to stop.

Are you saying OAPs should be potentially subjected to a drunken brawl??
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 20:26:03 »

first off regarding electrical systems that is no doubt correct but does anybody know the maximum number of coaches that can be added before it is an issue, second of all, 'doo' is for routes on which there are barriers at all stations and the need for ticket checks onboard is redundant... these services are short in comparison and are a totally different type of service, long distance intercity services are expected to have onboard customer services teams which can be reached with ease in order to assist if needed how can they do this if they are effectively sealed on another train during the journey? you will also notice that trains are now built so that you can walk threw them using double voyagers or any closed end dmu for that matter although due to suitable stock shortages is necessary is ultimately a step backwards on safety service and convenience
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 20:28:53 »

Lengthening Voyagers is i believe virtually impossible, due to the electronic systems involved

It's only impossible because no-one will buy the necessary intermediate coaches. Why else do you think the driving cars are A and F?  What you may have heard is that they cannot be remarshalled quickly without altering the software, but the Meridians have proved that shortening and lengthening is achievable. It isn't that long ago that people were saying that the Hull Trains 222s couldn't possibly multiple with the EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) ones, but it just needed new software.

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2009, 20:36:25 »

'doo' is for routes on which there are barriers at all stations and the need for ticket checks onboard is redundant...

Not so - I can think of a number of DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) routes in the London area where there aren't barriers at all the stations, although many more stations are currently in the process of being fitted.  Another example is Chiltern - they are DOO south of Banbury with some ungated stations.  There are many prerequsites for DOO, but I don't believe ticket barriers are one of them.

Paul
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2009, 20:48:46 »

Couple of point from XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) paper work, where doube voyagers operate, the guard must travel in the rear set, if there is an assisting Train Manager on board then they will travel in the front set, the guard will retain responsibility for train protection and emergency arrangements, along with what people see as the guards job such as train despatch. If there is no assisting guard but a member of catering staff, then the catering staff should travel in the front unit as they are trained in how to stop the train and make a crew call. In the worst case scenario of a double voyager with only one Train Manager and a driver then the guard is qualified to swap units in an emergency at the lineside, whilst I know passengers hate announcements, if they took the time to read the safety notices as requested, then they should know how to stop the train in an emergency.
As regards to Voyager lengths, it's handy to remember that in the West Country HSTs (High Speed Train) have grandfather rights, 220/221s don't. Here are the general restrictions for Voyager operation:
North of Edinburgh: Only single units can operate, If in multiple the rear unit must be locked out of use unless special working instructions are issued.
South of Edinburgh: A maximum of nine vehicles may be available for passenger use, a number of stations may have platforms that are more restrictive.
South of Birmingham: A maximum of ten vehicles may be available for passenger use, some stations may have platforms that are more restrictive.
West of Exeter: A maximum of eight vehicles may be available for public use. Additional vehicles must be locked out of use unless special working instructions are issued.
Wrest of Plymouth: A maximum of seven vehicles may be available for passenger use. Additional vehicles must be locked out of use unless special working instructions are issued.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2009, 20:53:38 »

No they dont.  What about 142 with no corridor connections.  There is no requirement for a guard to be in each voyager. 
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2009, 23:29:01 »

Exactly, so so far there is no need for double staff! So it appears I am well and truly on planet Earth.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2009, 00:09:45 »

Exactly, so so far there is no need for double staff! So it appears I am well and truly on planet Earth.

Please, expand on your trolley swapping situation, I'd be interested to see any things you've over looked such as extended station dwell due to unloading and reloading of the trolley via ramp.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2009, 01:41:13 »

Please, expand on your trolley swapping situation, I'd be interested to see any things you've over looked such as extended station dwell due to unloading and reloading of the trolley via ramp.

Two trollies? One cash float?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: