Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:06:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[256] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Misleading advertising?
[14] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stranded by FGW  (Read 9523 times)
D

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:28:56 »

I'm new to this forum but not at all new to train travel. However, I haven't enjoyed it at all since privatisation and I'd class myself now as an "occasional traveller" - I find myself driving more than I'd like as so many train journeys are now unpunctual or a ripoff - or both.

My last real run-in with FGW (First Great Western) was in August. I was stranded at Worcester Shrub Hill after staff at Paddington didn't warn me that the engineering works between Moreton in Marsh and Evesham made it impossible to complete my journey to Leominster, despite leaving Paddington at 1750 h. Because I was uncertain of the right train to take, I spoke to FGW staff at the barrier, who looked at my ticket and said yes, get on the train to Moreton-in-Marsh.

At Worcester SH, the station staff got FGW on the phone and asked them to do the usual thing; i.e., fund a taxi for passengers who'd missed their last train, but they wouldn't pay a penny. Were any other occasional travellers stranded like this?

Being only an occasional traveller I didn't see the publicity material FGW claims to have issued. A lawyer has said that he thinks I may well have a case against FGW as they should have put up prominent notices at Paddington warning passengers not even to try and return via Oxford that day.

By the way I live in Arriva Wales territory and conductors still don't understand FGW's September fare increase. At Leominster last week I was sold a ^57 ticket that wasn't valid for my return journey from Paddington. I wanted to leave on the 15.45 h and this has now been redefined as "peak", meaning the fare has covertly increased by 20%.

D.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 13:40:36 »

I sympathise about the fares.

The reason FGW (First Great Western) have implemented this disgusting increase, is that there are sufficicant people who can afford the new fares, and who will pay them! Thus FGW get more money.

And 1545 being in the peak is a disgrace. When are "days out" people meant to return home? Midnight?

As for the engineering works, there was a lot of info, to be fair, although it was rather hit and miss. I would ALWAYS check online before travelling in the future.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 14:06:01 »

And 1545 being in the peak is a disgrace. When are "days out" people meant to return home? Midnight?

How many people honestly go for a day out on a weekday from as far away as Swansea?

Services out of London are busy from 3pm onwards and the new fares should spread demand so that the last and first "off peak" trains aren't rammed. Besides, the 1545 is not peak, it is Off Peak.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 17:23:25 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, D - and thanks for posting here!

Being an 'occasional traveller' - or indeed, living outside FGW (First Great Western)'s area - should not discourage anyone from joining, if they have any questions or views to offer here.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 18:08:54 »

the 1545 is an off peak train, with restriction on super off peak tickets, ..i presume you purchased a superoff peak ticket at ^57 return. which works out now under fgw new disgusting prices at ^28.50 single each way..to upgrade the return portion would cost ^5.50 more.
in the main returns are now twice the price of singles..it really isnt that difficult

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:44 »

Isn't it?

What if you are, an occasional traveller, like D?

As I have said in elsewhere on this topic, it's all very well people who understand the ins and outs of the system pontificating on here about how straightforward it all is, but there are a great many people out there who don't know all this stuff, such as, er, occasional travellers - and, it would seem, some rail staff.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:53:04 »

I agree with you both!

A system which has single fares at a half of the return is sensible - in essence just turning a return into a purchasing conveneince if you're going out and back at the same price.  What a shame that Dog Box has to add the words "in the main" rather than "always" to his statement.

But - goodness - peak, off peak, very off peak ... how to tell which is which is beyond many of us, and in D's case (as I read it) that was made very much worse by the major timetable disruption at the time. 

Perhaps the timetables should be printed with trains shown in red (peak), black (off peak) and blue (super off peak) ... I've seen that sort of thing done outside the UK (United Kingdom).  But even getting the timetables for some journeys can still be a major issue - try asking for a timetable showing you all the journeys from Trowbridge to Swindon, including direct trains and connections.  You need a masters in timetable reading, or a certificate in sleuthing to know which site will give you what you want - but even then, you aren't told the relative cost of each train!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:10 »

The idea of colour coding timetables could be a runner. However it may not aid finding the cheapest walk up fare. You may still need to buy multiple tickets for one journey to get the cheapest price. Long distance trains often traverse 'Anytime', 'Off Peak' and 'Super Off Peak' timings on one journey. So, without a massive overhaul of the fares structure and ticket validity timings, split ticketing could still offer savings over one point to point ticket. And that's just one way; you could potentially need six tickets for a return journey!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 14:31:05 »

What was the timetable that was colour coded and ridiculed as being a complicate mess?
Was it Capital Connect's?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 15:06:23 »

What was the timetable that was colour coded and ridiculed as being a complicate mess?

Yep, personally I thought it looked quite useful for avoiding the peak hour!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 15:42:34 »

But fares are a complicated mess, so at least the complicated timetable was honest and was useful for that.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 18:02:49 »

EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) and FCC (First Capital Connect) colour coded.

But as Stagecoach, unlike First, don't feel that have to stick to blue pink and purple, their colour coding was a lot easier to understand. The FCC is a perfect example of how not to do a timetable!!

Colour coding MUST be adopted. It will increase split ticketing opportunities, but so be it. Having colour coded services (preferably red, yellow and green; for anytime, off peak and super off peak) has got to be better than the current mess!
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 13:04:08 »

the 1545 is an off peak train, with restriction on super off peak tickets, ..i presume you purchased a superoff peak ticket at ^57 return. which works out now under fgw new disgusting prices at ^28.50 single each way..to upgrade the return portion would cost ^5.50 more.
in the main returns are now twice the price of singles..it really isnt that difficult

No when you upgrade you pay the full difference so ^11 not ^5.50. To be honest if you travel with FGW (First Great Western) on a super off peak/ off peak ticket type you sohould only buy singles in the future.  That way you will always pay the cheapest fare.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 00:28:17 »

Not on the Cotswold Line you won't always pay the cheapest fare by buying singles, as I have pointed out elsewhere - because we don't have super off-peak or advance fares, but we do have the easements for off-peak (aka Saver) returns into London on the Cathedrals Express and the halts train in the morning and back home from London during the afternoon peak.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:32:33 »

Not on the Cotswold Line you won't always pay the cheapest fare by buying singles, as I have pointed out elsewhere - because we don't have super off-peak or advance fares, but we do have the easements for off-peak (aka Saver) returns into London on the Cathedrals Express and the halts train in the morning and back home from London during the afternoon peak.

Indeed.  Thats why in my post I said if you travel FGW (First Great Western) with off peak/ /super offpeak option.  As Cotswold does not offer this option then it does not work on that line. 

It will also be cheaper if a large part of your journey is on FGW but the fare is not set by FGW to buy a single to london and a single onwards.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: