Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:22:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best way to deal with squirrels - whether of the grey or red variety?
Get rid of all the grey ones - they are not native - 7 (25.9%)
Manage the numbers of the grey ones - 10 (37%)
Look after the red ones in preference to the grey ones - 7 (25.9%)
Get rid of all squirrels, of whatever hue - 1 (3.7%)
Don't know / care - 2 (7.4%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Squirrels - red or grey, on the railways or otherwise: merged topic  (Read 39268 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2015, 21:45:39 »

I saw a pet shop advertising "Baby rabbits in stock". Sounds tasty. "Lightly killed, then poached gently in a perfect court bouillon" or similar.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2017, 18:23:31 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Baby red squirrel found in felled tree in Insch

A one-week-old baby squirrel was rescued after a nest was discovered in a felled tree in Aberdeenshire.

The Scottish SPCA is now caring for the tiny red squirrel - which has been named Billy - after the find in Insch earlier this month.

Billy is being hand-reared at the charity's National Wildlife Rescue Centre in Fishcross.

Centre manager Colin Seddon said: "Billy currently needs fed by syringe every few hours."

He explained: "He should open his eyes at around five weeks old, and that's the same time the weaning process will begin.

"Billy will remain in our care until he is completely independent.

"Ideally, he'll be part of a group of red squirrels that can be returned to the wild together, at a supported release site.

"Nesting season for both squirrels and birds is well under way so we urge people to take care when cutting down trees/trimming hedges. It's best to check for nests first to avoid any accidents."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2017, 20:02:46 »

Rare white squirrel spotted in Bath

(c) Cliff Toghill

This rare creature has been causing a stir in Bath, with various reported sightings around the city.

Cliff Toghill was working at Bassett Farm in Claverton when he spotted a flash of white fur on Monday.

He said: "I looked round and saw him going into the undergrowth and picking up seeds. He didn't seem bothered by us at all and I got within about 80 inches of him."

The odds of a squirrel being born white is thought to be about one in 100,000.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2017, 00:39:42 »

A one in 100,000 chance of snapping that!

If you go down to the woods today, you never know what you might spot.

Neil McCarty was lucky enough to see a very rare sight when he went for a walk on the outskirts of Bedford.

At first he thought it was a cat stuck up a tree, as all he could see was a white ball of fur, but on closer inspection it was an albino squirrel.

So like every good photographer, he went back the next day "hung around for ages" and caught these amazing images.

He says it's a bit of a change from his day-to-day job of music photography, as he usually snaps "grungy bands in the dark".

"The irony is I have snapped some amazing artists passing through Bedford over the last five years, many who have gone on to be huge... and I am going to get my 15 seconds of fame over a squirrel," he said.

The odds of a squirrel being born white is thought to be about one in 100,000.

All images (c) Neil McCarty.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2017, 23:15:44 »

When I was very young, I remember a squirrel character called Tufty taught me how to cross a road safely - 'look right, look left' and all that, in educational films shown in primary schools in those days.

Then, when I grew up, I found that squirrels actually have the least road sense of any animalRoll Eyes

One day last week, driving my van in Long Ashton near Bristol, a squirrel scampered along a lane in front of me. I slowed down, hoping that the little fellow didn't run out into the main road at the junction - but he did.  The driver of an oncoming huge quarry lorry braked quite harshly to avoid hitting the silly animal, which then did a brief double back across the white lines before nipping into an adjoining garden.  I did give the lorry driver a 'thumbs up' gesture of thanks with a grin, as we had both clearly tried to avoid squishing the silly squirrel.

This afternoon, however, I had a quite different experience.  Driving my van down Queens Road in Clifton, I saw something move low down on the nearside. It was a squirrel, which scampered out from the left - across a zebra crossing - then paused at the central island, apparently looking left and right, before scampering on across the zebra crossing to the right hand pavement.  The squirrel then turned left on the pavement and darted right, up into the gardens of one of the big buildings there.

I could only wish that I had a dashboard camera to have recorded that - it really was worthy of posting a clip on youtube!

Grin

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2017, 00:05:57 »

Now, rabbits. They're the real idiots. Followed closely by pheasants.

Whilst driving to Tarr Steps a couple weeks ago I was on a single track road doing my best to avoid the pheasants. They will at least fly out of the way if you get real close to them. I was unsuccessful in bagging one for the pot, although one did hit the bonnet, but as I was barely doing 10mph if just flew off.

After clearing the pheasants and accelerating a little, a rabbit bounds out from the hedgerow and proceeds to run down the middle of the road ahead of me. Darting left and right but never heading for the safety of the hedges either side. Quite a turn of speed has Flopsy. Round bends, past field gates, staying in the road just ahead of me. This went on for a good two minutes. I slowed down, so did he. But he stayed in the road. Not until we approached a dry stone wall did he finally get out of the road.

My dash cam recorded this, but I forgot to hit the 'save' button, so that portion of memory got overwritten.

They really are idiots, including the Scottish ones (fruity language warning):

https://youtu.be/wVN4PRLrpsA

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2017, 13:41:44 »

When I lived in London, red squirrels were surprisingly numerous, a wildlife expert attributed this this to the large numbers of pet cats in the area.
Cats chase and kill large numbers of grey squirrels thereby leaving more food and space for the red ones. Although cats also the chase the red squirrels, these are almost always too quick for most cats to catch.

My cat killed dozens of greys, but only a single red despite these being locally more numerous.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2017, 17:46:00 »

I didn’t think there were any reds other than on the IoW, Scotland and a couple of isolated English towns in the North?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2017, 18:35:15 »

A whole nest of the little red critters on Brownsea Island when I was last there a couple of years ago. Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2017, 18:37:26 »

Brownsea Island, parts of the Lake District, and bits of Northumberland now have significant numbers, thanks to enthusiastic slaughter of the greys in those areas. Formby, near Liverpool, and Anglesey have them too.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2017, 18:47:56 »

Good to hear, but ‘numerous’ in London?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2017, 19:07:48 »

Hares are far more intelligent than rabbits. One came running up a country lane towards me near White Castle in Monmouthshire a few weeks ago, saw me, doubled back and ran ahead of me at quite a pace until a handy gate appeared on the left. Far cleverer than rabbits and cooler ears too!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2017, 22:54:44 »

In northern Sweden the reindeer are a hazard on road and rail.  I was on a train that has hit such an animal and it was one of locals who explained to me the source  of the unidentifiable bits that flew past the window as the train braked sharply and stopped.  In the discussion about the stupidest animals it may be worth remembering natural instinct. I was told that reindeer usually aim for the high ground when spooked and since the railway is often on embankment they tended to turn their back on the train and run in front. Sadly a loco and coaches doing 70mph is always going to win and the iron-ore trains probably won't try to stop.

Lest I have strayed too far from the thread topic, let me add that red squirrels seem to thrive in Sweden.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2017, 23:01:22 »

I didn’t think there were any reds other than on the IoW, Scotland and a couple of isolated English towns in the North?

Also quite a healthy population on Anglesey (I've seen some, sadly including a squashed one on the road outside the red squirrel centre...) and reputedly a population in Clocaenog Forest, Denbighshire.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2017, 09:26:40 »

...not forgetting a family of four somewhere near Montpelier Station...  Smiley Grin Cool Embarrassed

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: