Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:10:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Chiltern Evergreen 3 - Further new Track Access Agreement Application  (Read 57946 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2010, 21:50:50 »

From the Buckinghamshire Advertiser:

Commuters rebel against timetable changes that leave them crushed

Commuters who face a daily crush home from work and are livid that Beaconsfield has an inferior train service to Gerrards Cross are calling on fellow travellers to lobby Chiltern Railways before a timetable consultation ends.
The company has announced a ^250 million upgrade this year of the line with faster and more frequent trains - but Beaconsfield will continue to be served by fewer trains than Gerrards Cross despite the fact that it has a larger population. Beaconsfield's population is 12,000 compared to 7,350 at Gerrards Cross.
Currently Gerrards Cross is served by eight trains from Marylebone between 5.30pm and 7pm but Beaconsfield is served by just six since since timetable changes in December.
And new faster 172 type trains being brought in when the line is upgraded are likely to stop every hour at Beaconsfield compared to twice per hour at Gerrards Cross, a spokesman for Chiltern Railways said this week.
She said information given to the Bucks Advertiser last week that new trains would not stop at Beaconsfield at all was incorrect.
Commuters commenting on this newspaper's website have called on a rethink.
Mark Anderson said: "Chiltern Railways should be applauded for their upgrading of service, but their knuckles ought to be rapped when it comes to scheduling and looking after their existing customers. It's a shame that there isn't an alternative because I'd show my frustration with my wallet and take a different operator... but there isn't so, come on Chiltern Railways, sort out the shoddy scheduling for one of your busiest and most lucrative stations as the new two storey car park (at Beaconsfield) attests."
He said commuters from Beaconsfield suffered more now that the busy 18.15 from Marylebone no longer stops, making trains before and after more crowded.
In comparison, commuters to Gerrards Cross have more trains and they are scheduled with sensible gaps.
He said: "It's madness, and frankly whomever has thought up this service needs to try to catch these trains daily to see what an effort it is."
Another commuter, named as Dan C, urged: "Beaconsfield commuters, there is still time to email your suggestions and proposals for timetable changes due in May."
You can view the proposals at www.chilternrailways.co.uk and comment on them by e-mailing timetableconsultation@chilternrailways.co.uk before February 2.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2010, 19:56:55 »

It's a pity Chiltern aren't reinstating the through roads at Beaconsfield which would allow more trains to stop there. I gather cost reasons prevented this.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2010, 13:24:53 »

Moor St?  Why not - a new terminus for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) could very easily be built alongside (on the north of) the approaches to New St, with the buffer stops at the western extremity of the site - that could be called Moor St.

[That's in a world where station locations can be decided on with about 30 seconds on Google Earth, of course... Grin]

Paul

I just wanted to bump this prediction,  Grin as I've now found the drawing on the HS2 plans page. Although all the text refers to a station at 'Curzon St', it is actually so long it does indeed end up alongside Moor St, on the other side of the tracks into New St...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/highspeedrail/hs2ltd/route/bhammap07.pdf

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2010, 15:13:54 »

Good shout, Paul - let's hope the officials didn't just spend 30 seconds on Google Earth as well...  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2010, 15:51:07 »

Good shout, Paul - let's hope the officials didn't just spend 30 seconds on Google Earth as well...  Wink

Thanks!  HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) staff would be professional people - they'd probably spend a few minutes on Google Earth...

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2010, 16:47:56 »

...remodelled junction speeds with massive increases including Aynho Junction in the down direction raising from the current 40mph limit up to 85mph (that will be some track cant!)

The latest edition of RAIL magazine has an 8-page article on the Evergreen projects.  One statement that stood out to me concerning Aynho Junction reads as follows:

"Here the 50mph flyover will be replaced with a flat junction in the 'down' direction, and the speed limit on both the 'up' and 'down' Chiltern Lines raised to 90mph."

I referred to the cant of the track needed to reach those speeds in the quote above, but unless this is an editorial error, it indicates that the flyover will close and a much more restrictive flat junction will replace it.  If that's the case then it means that pathing of trains will be much more complicated to ensure there are no conflicts, and will no doubt cause delays to XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), FGW (First Great Western) and freight trains heading south on occasions.  Does anyone have any more specific information?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2010, 16:55:33 »

That struck me as highly surprising as well. To remove the grade separation would seem to be a very retrograde step.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2010, 22:41:24 »

They're doing the same to another junction nearer london (Northholt, I think it's called) - it's the easiest way to get the line speeds up.

It does however seem regrettable to remove capacity. I assume they'll keep the loop in place for freight (the loop at Northholt will remain to take the Gerrards Cross stoppers) or so the signalman can divert a down train onto the loop if it prevents delaying a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2010, 12:15:03 »

Northolt is a little different though as virtually everything heads from/to the Marylebone direction, so I see it causing far fewer problems.

I'm surprised none of the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s/FOC (Freight Operating Company)'s made no mention of it in their replies to Chiltern's TWA submissions - as over time it would have an effect on their own performance figures.  Or like I said, perhaps it's an editorial error?

Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2010, 21:29:00 »

Northolt is a little different though as virtually everything heads from/to the Marylebone direction, so I see it causing far fewer problems.

I'm surprised none of the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s/FOC (Freight Operating Company)'s made no mention of it in their replies to Chiltern's TWA submissions - as over time it would have an effect on their own performance figures.  Or like I said, perhaps it's an editorial error?

The planning application and documents for the new 'down' through line at Northolt/Ruislip are on the London Borough of Hillingdon website at:

http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=10058

Enter 66712 as the application number and then 'View Associated Documents' - to be considered by the Council on 20th May.

A link to the design and access statement is below - see page 20 for existing and new layouts.

http://w09.hillingdon.gov.uk/images/dv_pl_files/66712_APP_2010_103/014.pdf

As to enquiries about the revised layout at Aynho, try Steve Broadbent at:

http://www.stevebroadbent.net/

He's a pretty accommodating and friendly sort of chap!

Evergreen 3 will also add a third 'up' through track at Princes Risborough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PrincesRisboroughplatforms.JPG

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 21:36:43 by Chafford1 » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2010, 19:27:51 »

I reckon this is definitely a cockup in Rail. The wording in the relevant track access application reads as follows, my boldening:

Install new turnouts at Aynho Junction on up (90
mph) and down (85 mph);
Raise line speed from 90-65-90 to 90-100 mph on
the up and 100-50-40-90 to 100-90-85-90 on the
down;
Upgrade 15 mph trailing crossover on the Didcot-
Chester Line (DCL) to 50 mph;
Install new 7-day railway 50 mph facing crossover on
DCL north of existing crossover

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2010, 21:56:48 »

Thanks to Chafford and Paul for helping to partly solve the mystery, though we're not quite there yet!

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2010, 20:52:18 »

I have seen a copy of the draft Signalling Scheme Plan and the Aynho Junction flyover is retained and new facilities added as described in the second post above.  Both lines between Princes Risborough and Aynho Junction will become fully reversible signalled (for 7-day Railway purposes).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 21:08:18 by SandTEngineer » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2010, 11:44:01 »

Thanks, SandTEngineer

Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2010, 19:17:57 »

The planning application and documents for the new 'down' through line at Northolt/Ruislip are on the London Borough of Hillingdon website at:

http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=10058

Enter 66712 as the application number and then 'View Associated Documents' - to be considered by the Council on 20th May.

A link to the design and access statement is below - see page 20 for existing and new layouts.

http://w09.hillingdon.gov.uk/images/dv_pl_files/66712_APP_2010_103/014.pdf

As to enquiries about the revised layout at Aynho, try Steve Broadbent at:

http://www.stevebroadbent.net/

He's a pretty accommodating and friendly sort of chap!

Evergreen 3 will also add a third 'up' through track at Princes Risborough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PrincesRisboroughplatforms.JPG

The Council approved the Northolt remodelling today.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: