27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 02:47:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: extra carriages on Cardiff - Bristol services  (Read 7091 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:28:43 »

Not sure if everyone knows, but from  14th December 2009  First Great Western  will be introducing the second loco hauled diagram on their Cardiff - Bristol - Taunton route. As well as extending a number of these trains to Paington & Plymouth, the following  peak time services will be worked by a loco hauled train:

07:29 Taunton - Weston Super Mare - Bristol TM(resolve) - Bristol Parkway
08:00 Cardiff -Bristol TM - Taunton - Paington
17:00 Cardiff - Bristol TM - Taunton
17:21 Bristol TM - Cardiff

Each of the loco hauled services will be operating with at least 5 carriages so particulary with the 08:00 service from Cardiff this should help with overcrowding, especially between Cardiff & Bristol. Thsi should help to free up at least 3 - 4 dmu's some of which are being sent down to the Exeter area to cover for some of the class 142 pacers which are being sent back up to manchester
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:59:39 »

Heard a rumour that Virgin Thunderbird 57s are heading this way to haul the services. Anyone confirm? (or deny!)

I'd love to travel behind a 'zombie' along the sea wall in daylight.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:32:06 »

From another forum I've found details of the full diagram this 2nd loco hauled set is due to run. No conformation that this is definite, although Journey Planners are showing the services from 14th December:

Bristol TM(resolve) 0619
Cardiff 0720

Cardiff 0800
Bristol TM 0855
Taunton 1002
Exeter SD 1035
Paignton 1127

Paignton 1247
Exeter SD 1333
Taunton 1409
Bristol TM 1517
Cardiff 1629

Cardiff 1700
Bristol TM 1753
Taunton 1908

Taunton 1917
Bristol TM 2045

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:59:49 »

Interestingly enough, its only Exeter depot crew that sign and are competent to work the loco haul trains, and its only exeter depot crew ( west ) that sign south of Taunton ( i.e. Taunton - Paignton )

I would have thought Bristol crew would of been trained on these loco-haul trains and the route to at least Exeter.

Lets hope there is no mass plague forecast at Exeter or..........eeek...................................!!!!!!!!!   Wink Cheesy Lips sealed

Here, there and Everywhere!!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 15:38:35 »

Not sure if everyone knows, but from  14th December 2009  First Great Western  will be introducing the second loco hauled diagram on their Cardiff - Bristol - Taunton route. As well as extending a number of these trains to Paington & Plymouth, the following  peak time services will be worked by a loco hauled train:

Each of the loco hauled services will be operating with at least 5 carriages so particulary with the 08:00 service from Cardiff this should help with overcrowding, especially between Cardiff & Bristol. Thsi should help to free up at least 3 - 4 dmu's some of which are being sent down to the Exeter area to cover for some of the class 142 pacers which are being sent back up to manchester

4 carriages maximum.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 16:07:43 »

4 carriages maximum.

ok i was told 5, and i aint sure about the virgin class 57's being brought in as arriva need to have 4 to allow them to work on the Holyhead - Cardiff loco hauled service, of which there is supposed to be another diagram starting in december so at least 3 locomotives are going to be needed per day and i dont think DBS» (Deutsch Bahn Schenker - UK (United Kingdom) website) have any more class 67's to spare, but i have heard that DRS (Direct Rail Services Ltd)/Colas rail class 47's being used. as FGW (First Great Western) need more locomotives to help provide cover for the unreliable class 57's that are used on the sleeper services between London & Penzance
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 17:20:44 »

This diagram will also cover the heavily overcrowded 175x from Bristol Temple Meads southbound, as well as the 0800 Cardiff to Bristol. Bristol bound commuters on both lines will now have the opportunity of loco haulage in both directions, as well as an extra carriage. 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 17:35:24 »

Worth noting that the loco hauled sets only have 224 seats.
dmutony

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 18:42:51 »

Heard a rumour that Virgin Thunderbird 57s are heading this way to haul the services. Anyone confirm? (or deny!)

I'd love to travel behind a 'zombie' along the sea wall in daylight.

yeah they are hiring in virgin thunderbird 57s not sure which ones yet as they are going to be run by first GBRf

but im also looking forward to there arrival shame its not 37s hauling the coaches
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 18:48:44 »

Anybody thought of phoning Mark up, i'm sure he'd be happy to oblige...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: