29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:02:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldfield Park failure 30/10/09  (Read 4875 times)
tramway

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2009, 20:44:57 »

Tonight has to be in the top 10 worst managed incidents I have ever experienced. It seems to have completely paralysed the Bristol area for over an hour, no one knew anything from control, single line running seems to have gone completely out of the window, and sitting for 45 minutes at the signals just outside BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) is a complete joke, when the train is full, standing and filling the overhead racks...... Angry Angry Angry Angry
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 21:01:05 »

Hmm. I'm very sorry to hear that, tramway.  Angry

Yes, looking at our 'Current Running' page, it does seem there wasn't much actually 'currently running', after an apparent breakdown at about 17:30.

Road transport was being provided between Westbury and Chippenham, but then there were apparently knock-on effects as train crew were out of place / time, compounding the issues.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 21:18:31 »

It was the Cardiff Pompey, 15.22 ex Bristol that failed with brakes locked on. I caught the following Pompey service and decided to detrain at Bristol after waiting 30 min in the station, 3 car 158 packed to the rafters because the Padd's were diverted via parkway and all Bath traffic came our way, came back to catch the 17.22 which only just managed to get to be 5 car, which also took all the lost souls from the cancelled Westbury service, pleasant it was not. We were shifted to give BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) some platforms which meant we were held at the signal for 40 mins. Guard had virtually zero info from control and informed the passengers accordingly.

4 Hrs from Filton to home.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 21:44:40 »

Sadly it's not just the trains. Public transport out of Bath seems to have ground to a stop altogether.

My son, travelling from Filton AW to Trowbridge, was on the train that failed. Ironically he had left work early (at 3) intending to go out this evening, but ended up not getting home (Melksham - he drives to Trowbridge each day since obviously there's no useable trains from Melksham) until well after 8pm.

They were told while sitting on the failed train at Oldfield Park for 3 hours that the brakes had failed. Initially they were informed that a following SW Trains set was going to push them along to Bath. I must confess my own first thought was "now that could be interesting, for a number of reasons..."

Some of the passengers were extremely nervous by this stage of travelling anywhere at all on a train with no brakes, let alone being pushed along by another one. In the end they were pulled down the line to Bath by, I believe, a 125.

Meanwhile my daughter, who works in Bath and travels to and from Melksham by bus each day, was for the second day running left stranded in Bath by First Group. Having left work at 5, she was told the next bus back to Melksham was today likely to run after 9pm. The same thing had happened yesterday, but without the promises of even a late bus running. Eventually she got a bus to Trowbridge and got her boyfriend to drive over and pick her up there. She got in around half past 8 this evening.

I have to say the bus service has generally been quite reliable over the past 6 months - maybe once every three weeks or so she's either late into work or is delayed getting out of Bath. This week's been a nightmare though. No idea what's going on.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 21:52:10 »

Pulled down the line to Bath by an HST (High Speed Train) sounds interesting . Was it a down passenger service that went to the rescue? Or an up service that overtook it and then reversed into Oldfield Park?   
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 22:03:25 »

Ah, sorry, apparently I got that bit wrong (I just phoned him and checked his story).

They were going to be pushed by a SW Trains unit, but it couldn't do it. So, a 125 pulled in on the line beside them at Oldfield Park (i.e. running the wrong way) and everyone got off the broken down unit, crossed over the footbridge, and piled onto the 125.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 00:57:32 »

Sadly it's not just the trains. Public transport out of Bath seems to have ground to a stop altogether.

My son, travelling from Filton AW to Trowbridge, was on the train that failed. Ironically he had left work early (at 3) intending to go out this evening, but ended up not getting home (Melksham - he drives to Trowbridge each day since obviously there's no useable trains from Melksham) until well after 8pm.

They were told while sitting on the failed train at Oldfield Park for 3 hours that the brakes had failed. Initially they were informed that a following SW Trains set was going to push them along to Bath. I must confess my own first thought was "now that could be interesting, for a number of reasons..."

clearly not actually in the station, everyone on that service has my sympathies, but 3 hours stranded seems a bit extreme. We had rumours that the SWT (South West Trains) had attempted the rescue, so have assumed it failed then? Did anything come down from Westbury to drag it back?

Some of the passengers were extremely nervous by this stage of travelling anywhere at all on a train with no brakes, let alone being pushed along by another one. In the end they were pulled down the line to Bath by, I believe, a 125.

Meanwhile my daughter, who works in Bath and travels to and from Melksham by bus each day, was for the second day running left stranded in Bath by First Group. Having left work at 5, she was told the next bus back to Melksham was today likely to run after 9pm. The same thing had happened yesterday, but without the promises of even a late bus running. Eventually she got a bus to Trowbridge and got her boyfriend to drive over and pick her up there. She got in around half past 8 this evening.

I have to say the bus service has generally been quite reliable over the past 6 months - maybe once every three weeks or so she's either late into work or is delayed getting out of Bath. This week's been a nightmare though. No idea what's going on.

I've no idea what's going on either, which is probably more than the management did tonight.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 08:18:24 »

Phil - I've followed up on this in a split-off topic, as it's moving us onto more general topics than the Oldfield park problems, and work futher discussion IMHO (in my humble opinion).  See:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5588.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 20:46:49 »

clearly not actually in the station, everyone on that service has my sympathies, but 3 hours stranded seems a bit extreme. We had rumours that the SWT (South West Trains) had attempted the rescue, so have assumed it failed then? Did anything come down from Westbury to drag it back?

I've no idea what's going on either, which is probably more than the management did tonight.

travelling fitter arrived and got set running on its own to bathampton  loop and then to westbury yard where it got further attention overnight apparently.train involved was 158954 i believe.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: