Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:25:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  
Author Topic: Truro Station refurbishment and installation of ticket barriers (merged topics)  (Read 68228 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2012, 18:22:45 »

Thank you very much for that positive and interesting first post, Snapper - and a warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #211 on: October 24, 2012, 13:47:18 »

There is no automatic right of entry to station platforms for non fare paying members of the public.  Why should there be? Try walking to the tarmac at Newquay airport or onto the ferry at Plymouth.

From a guard's viewpoint, it makes supreme sense to have barriers at Truro. I have lost count of the number of times I have had to abort dispatch of trains at ungated stations, due to last minute dashes or repeated lingering farewells. Even worse are those who board trains not intending to travel; a major cause of doors on the catch as the hapless helper struggles to leave.

At Truro, there are no grieving relatives seeing off the passenger and consequently fewer bodies to interrupt line of sight with signals and the dispatcher, absolutely vital from a safety standpoint.

With regard to revenue, gate-lines are a huge deterrent to ticket bilkers.  Thousands in unpaid revenue, which was previously waltzing off the station is now collected.

Sadly, cost prevents the adoption of gates at all larger stations, although an initiative  at Penzance, using a member of staff to control the manual gates recently installed there; has reduced delays and prompted a significant increase in revenue collected. Long may it continue.
Snapper

View Profile Email
« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2012, 18:28:38 »

I  can't disagree with any of your observations about Truro.

However, having spent several hours on Pl 3 today, I would say that the unmanned access from the station car park is the source of frequent passenger frustration.

The sight of bemused passengers trying to discover which bit of the assistance point holds the camera with which the remote operator will examine their ticket and tell them which platform to use, suggests this facility is a technological step too far.

Still, in the interests of combating fare evasion and maintaining good time, both of which were high on my "wants" list, it may be a price we have to pay.
vacmanfan

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2013, 18:29:14 »

Finally, the footbridge at the East End (by the LC (Level Crossing)) is getting an external makeover from NR» (Network Rail - home page).   Soon.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2013, 19:05:41 »

Have just started some work in Truro, and commute down from Exeter (with overnight stays). Station looking good, but:

Why is there virtually no signage from Truro city centre to the station? I have found myself yomping up the wrong hill twice now, and have had to ask for directions several times.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  

Jump to: