Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:53:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish Borders Railway - rebuilt Waverley Route link to Edinburgh  (Read 66232 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2015, 21:06:09 »

No buildings, but they've built the access road to the station car park just beyond the end of the platforms. So again, to do what you suggest would now be very expensive, but if built into the design at the outset, much less so.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2015, 21:18:19 »

No buildings, but they've built the access road to the station car park just beyond the end of the platforms. So again, to do what you suggest would now be very expensive, but if built into the design at the outset, much less so.

If thinking this way remember not to increase the cost of extending the line, but putting something in the way.  To my mind steam excursions, much as I like them are not what this line is about. 

In the interwar period Britain's railway companies were at the height of steam locomotive development - because other nations were moving on to more sustainable methods of traction.  Only the Southern were really forward looking to any degree.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2015, 22:00:28 »

And yet

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/government-commits-on-borders-railway-to-carlisle-1-3881654

IT^S only been operating for a few days ^ but there^s no doubt the Borders Railway has already picked up a firm fanbase.

And now the Scottish Government has admitted it is ^committed^ to helping extend the line to Carlisle.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2015, 22:10:14 »

To my mind steam excursions, much as I like them are not what this line is about. 

Agreed ... and shouldn't that apply to all most all National Rail lines?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 07:34:12 »

I would agree, but having built the facility to have charter trains at Tweedbank, clearly the promotors of the line have recognised that they do have a role to play.

And if the intent is to have them on a regular basis in the summer, then the economic benefit to the community and businesses at the end of the line would be significant. Just ask those with businesses in Mallaig, who faced the prospect earlier this year of no Jacobite services and were openly talking of the damaging effect it would have had on their trade.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:32 »

I would agree, but having built the facility to have charter trains at Tweedbank, clearly the promotors of the line have recognised that they do have a role to play.

Talking about charters to Tweedbank.... Pathfinder Railtours are running 'The Border Reiver' to Tweedbank this weekend with 66s top and tail. It is an overnighter from Eastleigh to Tweedbank. I am booked on it, but what is a little off-putting about this tour is the following statement from their brochure...
Due to the high density of scheduled services along the mainly single track branchline it is only possible to get our classic loco hauled train through to Tweedbank and back before the first services start in the morning.

Therefore, the return trip along the Borders Line will be done almost entirely in darkness. I pointed this out to the lady on the end of the 'phone at Pathfinder when I enquired about the tour and her response was "Oh, I didn't realise that".  Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2015, 09:31:42 »

Logic might suggest keeping a couple of modern coaches (of the sort stored in various places) at Edinburgh Waverley, and tacking them on to excursion trains running up to Tweedbank for the benefit of regularly ticketed travellers using regular train paths.

P.S. Yes, I can see flaws in my logic  Cry

Note - originally and accidentally posted to Dawlish!

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2015, 13:23:55 »

I have booked on a UK (United Kingdom) Railtours trip on 30 December from London and points north which will be doing the line in daylight

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2015, 23:33:13 »

I was asked how did they turn 60009 for the return journey of the royal train. There are a couple of triangles at Millerhill did they work the train back with a diesel and take the Streak off turn it and put it on the other end.

I didn't see the news but was told it pulled the train chimney first  in both directions.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2015, 06:55:45 »

I didn't see the news but was told it pulled the train chimney first  in both directions.

No, it was dragged by a 67 on its return
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCm4g5cZEJ0
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2015, 10:05:38 »

From The Scotsman:

Borders Railway complaints over delays and overcrowding

Borders Railway has been plagued with complaints regarding overcrowding and delays in its first week of service. Picture: Ian Rutherford

Delays and overcrowding have plagued the Borders Railway^s first week, deterring passengers from using the new service, campaigners have claimed.

Many trains have operated with just two carriages, despite operator ScotRail^s pledge to run longer services to meet demand after the line^s high-profile official opening by the Queen.

Passengers have expressed anger at trains being so full they have been unable to get on. Other problems include ticket machines not recognising the line^s seven new stations.

Over half the 35-mile, ^350 million route is single track and operated largely by ScotRail^s diesel trains, most of which are awaiting refurbishment.

Monitoring by the Campaign for Borders Rail (CBR (Cost Benefit Ratioi (1/BCR))) showed a ^significant proportion^ of trains since the opening on Sunday, 6 September had been more than ten minutes late, and some up to 17 minutes late over their one-hour journey.

Members reported passengers standing all the way between Edinburgh and Tweedbank, which is between Galashiels and Melrose. Delays have increased by the extra time taken for passengers to get on and off crowded trains.

CBR chairman Simon Walton said services had been ^less than perfect^. He said: ^We did expect ScotRail to honour pledges to lengthen all trains in the early weeks to cope with demand - but that hasn^t been the case, with many running in the very minimum two-car formations and consequent overcrowding on some services.^

Robert Drysdale, an Edinburgh planning consultant who has travelled on the line several times, said: ^It was particularly important to get first impressions right, but I suspect there has been a lot of alienation.^

Rail consultant David Spaven, author of ^Waverley Route - the battle for the Borders Railway^, said: ^There have been too many late trains, compounded by too many being just two coaches long ^ unforgivably, even during peak hours. Astonishingly, there have been no special managerial measures put in place by ScotRail to oversee the critical first few weeks of operation. This is the crucial period when passengers new to rail decide whether or not to stick with the train, and too many will now have been put off by their first underwhelming experiences.^

ScotRail said disruption had been caused by factors including a train breaking down, signal problems, high passenger numbers and disruptive travellers.

A spokesman said: ^Thousands of people have flocked to use the new line, and despite extra carriages being added to many trains, it has been particularly busy on board some services, as expected. At times this has caused delays while these unusually large numbers of customers board and alight. In addition, there has been other disruption at times and we apologise to anyone whose journey has been delayed this week.^

The train operator said it was ^working hard^ to fix the problem which had prevented passengers buying Borders line tickets from a machine at Waverley Station in Edinburgh.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2015, 11:43:03 »

No, it was dragged by a 67 on its return
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCm4g5cZEJ0

Thanks Ad thought they wouldn't go back to Millerhill turn the loco put it on the other end and back to Tweedbank.

I'll tell the person who asked the question.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2015, 13:00:45 »

Borders Railway complaints over delays and overcrowding

Delays and overcrowding have plagued the Borders Railway^s first week, deterring passengers from using the new service, campaigners have claimed.

Many trains have operated with just two carriages, despite operator ScotRail^s pledge to run longer services to meet demand after the line^s high-profile official opening by the Queen.

Passengers have expressed anger at trains being so full they have been unable to get on. Other problems include ticket machines not recognising the line^s seven new stations.

Over half the 35-mile, ^350 million route is single track and operated largely by ScotRail^s diesel trains, most of which are awaiting refurbishment.

Monitoring by the Campaign for Borders Rail (CBR (Cost Benefit Ratioi (1/BCR))) showed a ^significant proportion^ of trains since the opening on Sunday, 6 September had been more than ten minutes late, and some up to 17 minutes late over their one-hour journey.

Members reported passengers standing all the way between Edinburgh and Tweedbank, which is between Galashiels and Melrose. Delays have increased by the extra time taken for passengers to get on and off crowded trains.

CBR chairman Simon Walton said services had been ^less than perfect^.

I fear, Simon, this is also the real world.   Teething problems, a need to handle that anticipated peak of first time riders (on trains obtained  borrowed from where?), and the fact that keeping spare resources to hand in case they're needed is very expensive ... well ... were you promised a perfect service of new trains from the start, or did anyone say "there are likely to be a few early issues ..."

Celebrate the new line and the service - work out the initial issues and get on with it  Grin

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2015, 13:14:18 »

Celebrate the new line and the service - work out the initial issues and get on with it  Grin

Well said.  I can't speak for the overcrowding, but from looking at the performance logs it has been far from disastrous punctuality wise - I can't find very many trains arriving over ten minutes late, especially in the last few days.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris125

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2015, 23:53:55 »

I'd also suggest that a run around facility near Tweedbank should be high on the list of future enhancements, to avoid the need for two locos and enable steam haulage both ways, which would reduce costs and increase the attractiveness of the steam proposition. 

Running backwards 'tender-first' is limited to 45mph, so steam haulage both ways would almost certainly require a turntable as well - an expensive prospect, and not one that could be justified without knowing how successful these trips prove.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: