10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:51:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Car parking at FGW stations  (Read 22028 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: November 05, 2009, 22:02:10 »

For details of current Parking Tariffs and Connect Codes at FGW (First Great Western) stations, see the FGW website, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/Car-parks/Parking-tariffs-and-connect-codes#
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:17:49 by bignosemac » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 22:51:48 »

I can't see Radley included in that list of present car park charges. Does that mean is is free at present but that as the finance for its enlargement from a fund that is intended to be revenue generating, will mean that parking charges will be introduced at Radley?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 18:19:59 »

Car parking at Radley Station is free at present, and should remain free when the car park is enlarged.

(I have spoken to the Chair of Radley parish council, which is strongly opposed to the introduction of any parking charges at the station!)

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 18:28:59 »

I wonder how Radley car park extension got through the vetting process if it will not generate any income. The only logic I can think of is that an extended car park will produce more rail users and thus increase fare income. However that logic could apply to hundreds of stations where car parks are often full by early morning.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 18:32:47 »

I'll send you a PM with details of my discussion with my contact at Radley.  Wink

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 19:26:40 »

Car parking at Radley Station is free at present, and should remain free when the car park is enlarged.

(I have spoken to the Chair of Radley parish council, which is strongly opposed to the introduction of any parking charges at the station!)

I definitely saw some new 'remember to Pay & Display' signs at Radley as I flashed through the other week.  Not sure how much the new charges are though?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 03:23:21 »

I definitely saw some new 'remember to Pay & Display' signs at Radley as I flashed through the other week.  Not sure how much the new charges are though?

^3. http://t.co/cSn8eSkmZE
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 07:16:20 »

"... we will need to introduce car park charges."

Why the compulsion? Are FGW (First Great Western) being forced to introduce charges? And if so, by whom?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 08:28:24 »

Why the compulsion? Are FGW (First Great Western) being forced to introduce charges? And if so, by whom?

To pay for the work to extend the car park?
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 20:59:41 »

The Department for Transport.  It is a condiion of the funding that FGW got from the Station Commercial Project Fund that the enhancement it pays for must increase the value of the franchise to the Treasury by generating extra revenue, hence the introduction of parking charges.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 21:37:59 »

I had a shufty (spelling?) at the Yeovil Pen Mill car park the other day when there and was interested to see no charges 'for rail users' on the notice.  How would they know you were a rail user, I wondered?

I was interested as a trip to Bath or Bristol would be attractive to we coastal types from YPM (? not in abbs list) but if one had to fork out for parking too, a drawback.
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 22:52:56 »

Does anybody know who owns the apparently unused piece of land next to Mottisfont and Dunbridge ?

http://threeriversrail.com/mottisfontanddunbridge.html
is it part of the old goods yard?

would seem to be a good place for some parking spaces .
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: