Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:23:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old tracks could see trains again, in Anglesey and south Wales  (Read 5872 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: November 06, 2009, 18:29:06 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Passenger lines axed from the rail network under the Beeching reforms in the 1960s could once again see trains.

The Welsh Assembly Government has asked Network Rail to conduct feasibility studies on two former track stretches. The lines are on old sections between Llangefni on Anglesey and Bangor, and between Aberdare and Hirwaun in the Cynon valley in south Wales. In both cases, while the routes were closed, the disused rail tracks still remain in place.

"This could provide an economic stimulus for Anglesey and further proposals to extend passenger traffic between Llangefni and Amlwch," responded the leader of Anglesey council, Coun Clive McGregor. "We support the concept and would be prepare to play our part in facilitating the process. I have personally received a number of positive comments from members of the public who visit the Island that a steam heritage railway would be a major tourist attraction for Anglesey."

The decision to commission a feasibility study was revealed by the Deputy First Minister, Ieuan Wyn Jones, as he addressed the assembly's enterprise and learning committee in October. He said the two sections of line were of particular interest, because the tracks had not been ripped up when original passenger services closed.

"What we are doing here is, rather than thinking - at present, anyway - about areas where the track has been removed, we are looking at areas where the track is still in place and it is easier to introduce new services," the minister said. "There may be other areas in Wales where we might feel, at some point, that it is worth looking at such services, where a track is in existence but where there are no services."

The original Llangefni rail station was part of the Anglesey central line running from Gaerwen to Amlwch on the island, dating back to the 1860s. It was closed to passenger services in 1964 as part of the massive cuts imposed by the Beeching review of rail transport, though continued to operate as a freight stop until the 1990s.

Like Llangefni, Hirwaun also fell victim to the Beeching axe. But it too maintained a freight role, carrying coal from Tower Colliery.

Network Rail has already began work on gathering evidence for its study, beginning with cutting away vegetation on track sections to examine the condition of rails and track bedding.

Its report is expected to be published next year, before any business cases to reopen the lines are then developed.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 22:47:38 »

The lines are on old sections between ... Aberdare and Hirwaun in the Cynon valley in south Wales

I can speak about this as it's not a million miles away from my house.  The line from Aberdare northwards is still in use with daily coal trains.  Hirwaun is about 4 miles north.  The coal from Tower Colliery was taken to Aberthaw Power Station which is on the Barry-Bridgend loop.  The coal trains still run although Tower has recently closed.  They now carry coal from the Selar open-cast in Rhigos somewhat to the north of Hirwaun.

The trains travel through Aberdare-Pontypridd-Cardiff-Barry to Aberthaw.  At the moment, the passenger railhead is at Aberdare with a rail-bus connection to Hirwaun and Rhigos.

The possibility of extending to Hirwaun has been looked at before but there's a time problem.  2 trains an hour from Aberdare run to Abercynon where they alternate with two trains an hour from Merthyr.  At Pontypridd two more trains an hour join from the Rhondda so there are 6 trains per hour south to Cardiff Queen Street where 4 more trains an hour join from Caerphilly.

Adding 10-15 minutes for the additional trip to Hirwaun would not fit the pattern unless the line speed north of Abercynon can be greatly increased to reduce the journey time.

Nice if it happens though.
bambam

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 18:24:10 »

I know the area around Bangor fairly well.

It seems a waste of money for the scheme on Anglesey. Llangefni isn't a big place, if there were DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s spare they would be better used to strengthen services, like ones into Leeds and Manchester or in Wales to give the Cambrian an hourly service
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 02:49:24 »

I know the area around Bangor fairly well.

It seems a waste of money for the scheme on Anglesey. Llangefni isn't a big place, if there were DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s spare they would be better used to strengthen services, like ones into Leeds and Manchester or in Wales to give the Cambrian an hourly service

From The Daily Post

Railway enthusiasts hope the removal of a vital bridge struck by an lorry last week will not affect their plans to revive a disused line.

The overbridge at Llangefni carries the former Anglesey Central Railway.

The bridge was badly damaged when a truck carrying an oversized got stuck underneath it for several days last week.

Network Rail engineers brought in two heavy cranes at the weekend to allow the vehicle to drive away and the remains of the bridge to be lifted.

It is currently being stored at a yard on the island and Network Rail are currently considering their next move.

[Article Continues]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 06:52:59 »

Passenger lines axed from the rail network under the Beeching reforms in the 1960s could once again see trains.

The Welsh Assembly Government has asked Network Rail to conduct feasibility studies on two former track stretches. The lines are on old sections between Llangefni on Anglesey and Bangor, and between Aberdare and Hirwaun in the Cynon valley in south Wales. In both cases, while the routes were closed, the disused rail tracks still remain in place.

"This could provide an economic stimulus for Anglesey and further proposals to extend passenger traffic between Llangefni and Amlwch," responded the leader of Anglesey council, Coun Clive McGregor.

The "Restoring your railways" outline case may be found (here) under Freedom of information, our mirror at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/mirror/atisn16965doc3.pdf ... full FOI (Freedom of Information) via https://www.gov.wales/atisn16965

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 18:01:38 »

The case for reopening Amlwch has always seemed highly tenuous to me and the report doesn't change my mind. £144m is a lot to spend on such a lightly populated area with no significant commuter flow. Generally I'd love to see railways reopened, but I can't believe anyone would be suggesting this were there not some very rusty rails already down.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 22:11:46 »

The case for reopening Amlwch has always seemed highly tenuous to me and the report doesn't change my mind. £144m is a lot to spend on such a lightly populated area with no significant commuter flow. Generally I'd love to see railways reopened, but I can't believe anyone would be suggesting this were there not some very rusty rails already down.

I agree. My partner is from Anglesey so we have spent many weeks staying up there over the years. Compared to similar rural areas, Anglesey has a fairly good bus service, with a regular and quite frequent service between Amlwch and Bangor. I think it also has a service from Amlwch to Llangefni, though at a much lower frequency. The bus services in the west of the island, where the existing line to Holyhead runs, is much poorer (just one infrequent service serving the south-western villages, as well as the Holyhead to Bangor service which if I remember correctly misses out those places served by the train until it reaches Valley). I suspect the number of users of a new rail service to Amlwch would be very few, but enough to impact on the bus provision.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: