09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 11:07:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Food free carriage as well as quiet carriage? Thoughts?  (Read 4077 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: November 09, 2009, 18:06:38 »

Not being a morning person and not being one who eats much before lunchtime, it has not escaped my notice that it can be quite nauseous sitting in a train for nearly two hours whilst smelling cooked food! 

A bit like offices who have a no hot/smelly food at desk rule.....

Non starter? 

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 18:08:50 »

Suggest you contact your union rep.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 19:28:26 »

there has to be a line somewhere otherwise everyone would have there own Carriage
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 19:37:20 »

there has to be a line somewhere otherwise everyone would have there own Carriage

Can I have a carriage that stops at the nearest station to my home (and the homes of 22000 others) a few times between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. please?  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 20:03:04 »

Never mind "a few times", even a train that stops once at Melksham during daylight hours would be a start *sighs*

As it happens I do sympathise with F.A. (as in Fallen Angel ; not the usual meaning of F.A., obviously, as that would only serve to indicate that I don't have) any sympathies at all, which would be patently untrue...)

- back when my employer used a booking system which would give us first class users an actual choice of seats, I would always specifically ask for a seat in coaches G or H, as sitting in coach F was just torture. Not that I minded the smell ; it was just that I already had more of a coastline than a waistline and the temptation was too much to bear!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 20:04:34 »

In the good old days, trains had a "restaurant car" in which food was served, which many enjoyed.
Those who did not wish to dine and who disliked the smell of food, simply had to avoid the restaurant, and possibly the adjacent coaches as well, into which cooking/food smells might permeate.
Most trains now have no proper meals, but instead some have toasted sandwiches in each coach, Its called progres !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 21:56:04 »

The trick is to give everyone a free glass of wine...everyone gets on superbly then. Just try sitting opposite a stranger in the restaurant car (sorry forgot we don't have them now) and I guarentee you'll be swopping business cards, phone numbers, email address's before the journey's out, because unless you've just been let out of an asylum you'll find something in common...discuss Roll Eyes
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 22:07:59 »

No - on an 8 car train I dont think the following is unreasonable......

Standard
* One family carriage
* One quiet/food free (has to be food free rather than not smelly food free otherwise its subjective) carriage in standard - no audible noise from any electronic device, no loud children, no food, no people talking loudly - maybe call it the library carriage - this could be A so that people are not disturbed by people going to and from the buffet
* Three normal carriages

First
* One library carriage - this could be H meaning fry ups do not have to be carried through the others
* Two normal carriage - kids allowed in but not expected to treat it like an adventure playground

Think that would probably satisfy the majority!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 23:19:22 »

You've reminded me of a journey I made some time ago (back in the days of Virgin XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), anyway) where I ended up sitting opposite two loud and militant vegans on their way to a convention in Birmingham. These two characters spent much of the journey complaining at high volume about what people were eating around them, and announced to the world in general that they thought meat products should be banned from trains.

Now, I have absolutely no issue with vegans or vegetarians. I'll always respect their right to choose not to eat meat, and conversely would expect them to respect my right to do so. To cut a long story short, it was breakfast time, I was hungry and sitting near the shop. What could I do? No bacon sandwich I have ever eaten before or since has tasted sweeter than it did that morning. Remembering the looks on their faces still amuses me now!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 23:57:53 »

... and I enjoyed one of the best ever breakfast-time toasted bacon sandwiches, on an HST (High Speed Train) between NLS and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - I was so impressed, I posted about it at the time, here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2604.msg19646#msg19646  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 00:51:42 »

Not being a morning person and not being one who eats much before lunchtime, it has not escaped my notice that it can be quite nauseous sitting in a train for nearly two hours whilst smelling cooked food!

A bit like offices who have a no hot/smelly food at desk rule.....

Non starter? 
Suggest you contact your union rep.  Lips sealed

Nice one Chris  Grin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 00:58:39 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 14:23:27 »

I don't think this should ever happen, for starters if you choose to sit in a quiet carriage, does that mean you are not allowed to eat on the train unless you movefrom the quiet cariage? My main concern though is if you were to inroduce such changes, then you will have people demanding carriages for those many reasons and why should for example a family carriage only for use by families (which the family carriage is not as it is open for all to use) not be allowed but carriages where you can not eat food are? Let's face it, the quiet carriage is hard enough to keep that way sometimes so this is causing potentially more problems for staff than it is worth.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 16:49:17 »

No - on an 8 car train I dont think the following is unreasonable......

Standard
* One family carriage
* One quiet/food free (has to be food free rather than not smelly food free otherwise its subjective) carriage in standard - no audible noise from any electronic device, no loud children, no food, no people talking loudly - maybe call it the library carriage - this could be A so that people are not disturbed by people going to and from the buffet
* Three normal carriages

First
* One library carriage - this could be H meaning fry ups do not have to be carried through the others
* Two normal carriage - kids allowed in but not expected to treat it like an adventure playground

Think that would probably satisfy the majority!

rolls eyes ... then back onto the other issue of how many times have you sat down in the quiet coach to ring ring HELLO YEH IM ON A TRAIN or the old classic TOMMY BEHAVE YOUR NORMALLY SUCH A GOOD BOY which once is acceptable.... 20 TIMES IT SHOULD BE OBV THAT THE BADLY BROUGHT UP LITTLE MISFIT IS NOT GOING TO SHUT UP infact all its doing is showing that repatition is a good thing so he keeps misbehaving.... anyway my point is even if there was a no food coach it would be ignored and if they were to put one or two in thats would be 3 coaches out of use to the majority of the passengers... maybe adding your idea with the quiet zone? i hate the sound of crisps russling in the bag!!

rant over
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 18:12:05 »

It is the 'majority of other passenger' that are the problem anyway.  If we could remove them travel by train would be much improved.

I'll drink to that (with complimentary drinks in First Class!)

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 19:35:23 »

It is the 'majority of other passenger' that are the problem anyway.  If we could remove them travel by train would be much improved.

I'll drink to that (with complimentary drinks in First Class!)

Lol to be honest if I'm on a hst for less than 30 mins I stand near the door anyway... One reason it's nice and quiet and two for some crazy reason I like the feeling I get from knowing someone else will get a seat .... I always was a strange boy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: