Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:00:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains 'too costly' for rail firm  (Read 7606 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 17:04:32 »

I'm afraid, just as the bit I quoted said, sentimentality is taking over from sense. Most people want to get from A to B, in a sensible combination of speed, comfort and price - not many want to read a book, or whatever, on route. Look at the figures, people vote with their feet (wheels) - even on long distance journeys the car wins on popularity, hands down. Journeys of 350 miles +: Cars 42%, Air 39% and train 12%. On shorter journeys, air drops hugely to 5%, trains increase to 14%, coaches are at 8%, the car is at 72%.

Another problem with the rail network is that 70% of journeys are made within London and the South East. These numbers are then used within the UK (United Kingdom)-wide context and give exaggerated and skewed figures.

On the subject of deaths, you are not comparing like with like. If I decide to commit suicide by standing in the middle of the M4, that is a "road death" and is added to the 3000 odd that die on the roads every year.
If I stand in the middle of the main line from Paddington, that doesn't appear as a "passenger" death (which you quote), it probably doesn't even appear as a railway death of any sort except in detailed figures.

"Every year about 200 people choose to die on the railways - a further 50 kill themselves on the London Underground." (RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) figs)

Rail is about 6 times safer than travelling by car - BUT air is 10 times safer than rail. Strong argument to fly more ?

Perhaps most telling all - an excerpt from Hansard 16 Jan 2001:

"Railway Accidents

Mr. Bradshaw: To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what the annual average figure was of serious injuries and deaths on the railways per passenger mile travelled in the two decades preceding privatisation; and what has been the annual average figure since privatisation. [144823]

Mr. Hill: This information can be provided only at disproportionate cost."

This would appear to make even the passenger death figures somewhat suspect.

Before we start tossing statistics around, you need to be absolutely clear what you are using as your measure of "safety". In particular, when comparing rail versus aviation safety, are you referring to deaths per passenger mile or per passenger journey? This is a vital distinction - because of the sheer length of most journeys taken by air, the "deaths per passenger mile" statistic for aviation is very low. Further, you also need to be absolutely clear about the time-period to which your statistics refer, since they may not reflect current rail safety performance (which has improved hugely in the last ten years or so).

I'd find it pretty startling if you're claiming that aviation is ten times safer than rail on the basis of deaths per passenger journey.

Flinging those sorts of numbers around is a dangerous game, especially when you don't actually explain what figures you're quoting or give enough information for them to be critically evaluated and put into a context.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 18:14:34 »

Before we start tossing statistics around, you need to be absolutely clear what you are using as your measure of "safety".

Flinging those sorts of numbers around is a dangerous game, especially when you don't actually explain what figures you're quoting or give enough information for them to be critically evaluated and put into a context.

Thank you  Inspector -  that was exactly my point with Tim's previous post, I quote:-

"3000 people die every year on UK (United Kingdom) roads.  About 3000 passengers have ever died on the UK's railways" (my highlighting) - hardly a realistic comparison.

Even you are doing the same to some extent:- "rail safety performance (which has improved hugely in the last ten years or so" Not on level crossings it hasn't ! As Chris from Nailsea pointed out quite recently it has got markedly worse since 2003.

You are quite right about air safety - my figures were per million passenger miles (lies, damned lies and statistics !); but as I said, most rail journeys (70% in SE) are of relatively short distance, but by quoting absolute figures or deaths per journey the end figures are distorted.
Aviation must be unique, in that the longer the journey, the safer you are, using some methods of calculation.

By the way, I didn't raise the subject of rail deaths in the first place - just commenting on a book that raised some interesting points about transport in general.

Finally: would anyone have commented had I just said that rail was 6 times safer than a car and left out the bit about air ? I am inclined to think not    Wink
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 19:17:50 »

Thank you  Inspector -  that was exactly my point with Tim's previous post, I quote:-

"3000 people die every year on UK (United Kingdom) roads.  About 3000 passengers have ever died on the UK's railways" (my highlighting) - hardly a realistic comparison.

Even you are doing the same to some extent:- "rail safety performance (which has improved hugely in the last ten years or so" Not on level crossings it hasn't ! As Chris from Nailsea pointed out quite recently it has got markedly worse since 2003.

The point is - in a car, you are somewhat in control of your own destiny - on a plane, bus or train, you trust the driver.  I cannot be a passenger in a car - I'm not noticeably anxious but unless I am sitting behind the wheel, I get very very very sick.  Its a control thing. 

Now - apart from passengers who are non-participating - I would guess (although it is non PC) that 99.9% of other deaths on the railway only have the deceased to blame.  So these can be discounted from the figures.

Fatality - dont jump
Level crossing - use common sense
Mashed brats - learn railways are dangerous before its too late

In 99.9% of cases, it is NOT the railway that is the cause but the deceased - although I guess telling the parents of a squished teenager they only have themselves to blame is probably not done therefore will skew the figures as someone else has to be blamed.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 19:32:09 »

The point is - in a car, you are somewhat in control of your own destiny - on a plane, bus or train, you trust the driver. 
Not quite true, as a driver of a car you are reliant on the other drivers to do what you think they should be doing and them not misinterpreting what you are doing - - - all very random

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 19:42:30 »

The point is - in a car, you are somewhat in control of your own destiny - on a plane, bus or train, you trust the driver. 
Not quite true, as a driver of a car you are reliant on the other drivers to do what you think they should be doing and them not misinterpreting what you are doing - - - all very random
]

But you have the ability to react to it!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 18:57:42 »

Now - apart from passengers who are non-participating - I would guess (although it is non PC) that 99.9% of other deaths on the railway only have the deceased to blame.  So these can be discounted from the figures.

Fatality - dont jump
Level crossing - use common sense
Mashed brats - learn railways are dangerous before its too late

In 99.9% of cases, it is NOT the railway that is the cause but the deceased - although I guess telling the parents of a squished teenager they only have themselves to blame is probably not done therefore will skew the figures as someone else has to be blamed.

I totally agree with what you are saying but you seem to be missing the point.

The original statement was NOT comparing like with like -  road "people" are NOT rail "passengers".  In 2007 the total killed on Britain's road was 2964 - for a start, 646 were pedestrians, to re-use your statement "so these can be discounted from the figures". BUT these were NOT discounted in the original quotation - so it would be quite correct to include suicides, level crossings etc in the rail figures to obtain a valid comparison.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 14:57:52 »

Ok statistics are a mess and distorted by what you are measuring (deaths per mile, per hour, per journey) and FA has made a good case for discounting suicides and people who kill themselves by being down right stupid (although I dislike her arguement that risk in a car is lower because the driver is in control - you only have an illusion of control and i'd much rather hand my life over to a well trained train driver (and accompanying safety systems such as signalling) than trust my own limited car driving abilities and those of teh otehr idiots on the road. 

The air vs rail comparison is also misleading I think because IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the air industry only counts deaths of passengers during flights whereas if you fall down an escalator at a station and kill yourself you will be counted as a railway death.  According to Eurostat in 2004 1,450 people were killed on the EU» (European Union - about)'s railways 9excluding suicides).  But only 62 of them were passengers.  Most of the rest were trespassers, level crossing (ab)users and track workers and shunters. 

BUT whatever way you slice the stats, air and rail are safer than road and a reducion in road traffic and an increase in rail traffic would be expected to save lives.  Lives saved are considered when analysis cost-benefit of buildig a new (safer) road or upgrading a dangerous road.  the same consideration shoudl be factored into rail investment.   
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 15:03:02 »

When BR (British Rail(ways)) brought new stock it was depreciated in their accounts over a fixed period of time (typically 20 or 30 years). 
BR were not allowed depreciation by the DoT they BR had to fund the full cost of new stock, but having said that BR did have spare stock, the current franchise system does actively encourage the only just enough stock after all the share holders will only fund to the point where they get the maximum return

You are right when it came to buying new trains.  but am I not correct in thinking that when carrying out a C:B analysis for an proposed new service, BR ignored the capital cost of the stock if teh proposal involved using old stock that was regarded as already "paid for"?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: