Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:47:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of Hayle station  (Read 33407 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 12:09:58 »

Dont get me wrong, vacman, I do think your point about usage has merit.

Let's look again at the Appleford/Culham example, where the following quotes set a similar tone to that at Hayle:

Quote from: Dr Angela Jones
^We feel frustrated, angry, let down and worried that we might lose all our services.

^We think this is a move by the company to cut services to us altogether in the long term and that really worries us.^

^It^s an outrage. We would be cut off if we lost the station.^

Quote from: Stuart Fisher
^FGW (First Great Western) have been awarded the franchise to operate this service, not to change it to an express service or to provide an ever-deteriorating service so passengers are driven away, justifying the next stage in the closedown.

FGW's response was as follows:

Quote from: FGW (First Great Western) Spokesman
^We have no plans to stop running trains from Appleford and Culham stations.

^We^re required to operate a minimum level of service within our contract, which we are currently exceeding.

^The number of people who wrote in to comment about the removal of these stops vastly exceeds those using the services regularly.

^This is a particularly congested part of the network and the timings of trains are very tight. Although the changes will inconvenience a small number of people, we have to balance this against the positive impact it will have on the vast majority of our customers^ journeys.^

When I read that, I honestly thought that FGW were going to ride out the storm.

They didnt though, and Appleford/Culham have been given a second chance, along with what effectively amounts to a "use it or lose it" challenge. It is now imperative that they get people onto their restored services to justify their inclusion in the timetable, as indeed the Hayle folks will have to if they gain/regain services.

You can bet that's what we will bust a gut to do when we get a proper service on the TransWilts.

On the issue of improved journey times/less stops on Cornish services, the concern would be that we could end up heading for the following scenario:

"HST (High Speed Train)/IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services will now only serve St Erth, Camborne, Redruth, Truro, St Austell, Par, Bodmin Parkway and Liskeard between Penzance-Plymouth. Dont worry though, the other stations will continue to be served by the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) services."

Whilst that might sound reasonable, it would have quite a negative impact on services at stations such as Hayle, Lostwithiel, St Germans and Saltash.
I think FGW have realised that Saltash is now one of the "main" stations, there is one extra service from December, a lot of this is thanks to Richard Bickford's efforts to actually get people onto the trains.

At the end of the day you have to draw the line somewhere with the amount of stops on "Express" trains, and long distance srvices in general, look at the 1406 Pad-Pnz, it stops at 13 stations on the 79 miles between Plymouth and Penzance, but only 7 stations between Pad and Plymouth!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 12:18:12 »

hi vacman maybe if anybody bothered to do tickets from hayle then we might get a true picture of how many people use the station. Angry
only just seen thic post, it is actually the responsibility of the passenger to buy a ticket and have on many accasions seen a few people get on a t Hayle and if not challenged for a ticket happily walk out of the station at Penzance without paying, if people of Hayle are really that concerned then they need to do their bit aswell.

You are right, but IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) Hayle doesn't even have a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), so I expect the attitute of many passengers (perhaps even the majority of passengers, certainly more than the scrote minority) is that "if they can't be bothered to sell me a ticket on board then why should I pay"  If you leave the train at Penzance without a ticket you should queque up at the window and buy one on your way out of the station.  But I think you have an unrealistic view of human nature if you think that more than a few upright citizens will do that. 

FGW (First Great Western) does have a responsibility to the payer and fare paying passenges to encourage ticket purchase.  Would checks on exiting Penzance not pay for themselves?
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 12:24:09 »

Not sure we are classified as 'main' yet, but we want to be. The population of the town and surrounding area has the potential to provide significant passenger growth.

You are right we do gain an extra service in December. The 1755 from Plymouth will call which strengthens the commuter offer. You will note the minimal impact a Saltash stop has on the timetable. I think its a minute later at Liskeard, but even thats gets absorbed by Truro or Redruth.

My main drive at the moment is to get even more on the service we have, and get Network Rail to do something about the up platform gap.
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 12:30:34 »

hi vacman maybe if anybody bothered to do tickets from hayle then we might get a true picture of how many people use the station. Angry
only just seen thic post, it is actually the responsibility of the passenger to buy a ticket and have on many accasions seen a few people get on a t Hayle and if not challenged for a ticket happily walk out of the station at Penzance without paying, if people of Hayle are really that concerned then they need to do their bit aswell.

You are right, but IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) Hayle doesn't even have a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), so I expect the attitute of many passengers (perhaps even the majority of passengers, certainly more than the scrote minority) is that "if they can't be bothered to sell me a ticket on board then why should I pay"  If you leave the train at Penzance without a ticket you should queque up at the window and buy one on your way out of the station.  But I think you have an unrealistic view of human nature if you think that more than a few upright citizens will do that. 

FGW (First Great Western) does have a responsibility to the payer and fare paying passenges to encourage ticket purchase.  Would checks on exiting Penzance not pay for themselves?

I was looking through a publication on the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) website, regarding station facilities, available from

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/passenger/stations/betterrailstations/pdf/report.pdf

This report was commisioned by Lord Adonis after his week long tour regarding station facilities. in the report under figure 8 there is a list of what is expected at different classes of stations. The report classifies Hayle as a grade F1 station and states that there should be a ticket machine, unless derogartion or paytrain operation. It also classifies Saltash as an F2 station which is a lower classification, and no ticketing facilities to be expected.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 15:41:17 »

They didnt though, and Appleford/Culham have been given a second chance, along with what effectively amounts to a "use it or lose it" challenge. It is now imperative that they get people onto their restored services to justify their inclusion in the timetable, as indeed the Hayle folks will have to if they gain/regain services.

I think that the new timetable is a sensible compromise for Appleford and Culham. The village of Appleford getting a 2-hourly service for its residents, with Culham getting a service aimed at the Science Centre commuters (who I would estimate make up 90-95% of the stations business), but with an additional early afternoon train for anybody working a half-day.

Good to see you posting again, Lee.

Thanks Industry Insider  Smiley I'd go along with what you said.

Not sure we are classified as 'main' yet, but we want to be. The population of the town and surrounding area has the potential to provide significant passenger growth.

You are right we do gain an extra service in December. The 1755 from Plymouth will call which strengthens the commuter offer. You will note the minimal impact a Saltash stop has on the timetable. I think its a minute later at Liskeard, but even thats gets absorbed by Truro or Redruth.

My main drive at the moment is to get even more on the service we have, and get Network Rail to do something about the up platform gap.

I'd certainly agree that SRUG (Saltash Rail Users Group) have done an excellent job promoting the Saltash rail service. Some of their publicity material, for example, is inspiration for what we'd like to do on the TransWilts when we actually get a service worth promoting.

I hope that Saltash (as I believe is the 5th largest town in Cornwall, correct me if I am wrong) is considered more highly than it used to be in the station heirachy. I note, though that the extra stop, while very welcome, is in a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)-operated service, so Saltash may still not be considered quite ready for full "main station" status.

Good luck with your drive though, Richard. I'm certainly rooting for you  Smiley

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 18:29:55 »

I think Saltash is #6 or #7, depending on whether you count Camborne-Pool-Redruth as one or two. The others ahead of Saltash are Sanozzle,Trura, Newquay and P'nzance. Helston (population 10k) is the largest Cornish town with no railway connection, though part of the former branch line is currently being resurrected by a dedicated group of preservationists, who are making impressive progress. 

richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 18:43:32 »

6th. I count Truro as a City!

We also potentially serve much of the Western and Northern part of Plymouth, especially for westbound travel, but we have some that come here for easy access to HST (High Speed Train) services to London.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 19:38:46 »

Fair enough. I've found a quote from former town mayor Bob Austin putting you at number 6, so it must be true  Grin

Do you have any figures on how your passenger numbers break down, in terms of those from Saltash and those from elsewhere, such as the Western and Northern part of Plymouth?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 21:19:27 »

6th. I count Truro as a City!

We also potentially serve much of the Western and Northern part of Plymouth, especially for westbound travel, but we have some that come here for easy access to HST (High Speed Train) services to London.

Smiley fair enough Richard. In any case, Saltash's importance is likely to continue growing with the population in the SE corner of Cornwall and the western fringes of Plymouth. I've occasionally wondered (dreamed?) whether a Tamar area "metro" network encompassing Tavistock/Gunnislake/SE Cornwall <Plymouth North Road> Friary/Plympton/Derriford (via Marsh Mills/the Plym Valley line) would be a feasible long-term aim.
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 09:17:44 »

No real figures. I do know there are some, because I have met quite a few on the station.

Back to the Hayle thread, do any FGW (First Great Western) staff have a feel if there are many that do travel on the St Ives branch with Hayle - St Ives tickets because they are cheaper? Or is it just myth..
jester

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 16:26:06 »

Mostly passengers who have walked in one direction and get the train back will be sold a hyl-siv single, or passengers who have bought advance tickets from cross country who seem to charge a premium for adding any branch line fare to their tickets.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 22:30:04 »

I'm quite deliberately resurrecting this rather old topic here, with some welcome news - from the Falmouth Packet:

^811,000 scheme to improve access and safety at Hayle station

A joint scheme of around ^811k aimed at improving the access to Hayle station has been unveiled by Network Rail, First Great Western, Cornwall Council and Sustrans.

It aims to provide of a safer alternative north-south link for both passengers and the public travelling through Hayle station via the existing underpass and footbridge.

The new link will also replace an existing footpath crossing ^ Hayle level crossing - which will eventually be closed when the new scheme completes.

As part of the improvement, the disused Harbour Branch railway line will be turned into a footpath and cycleway, new access to the south west of the station car park will be created.

New access with a ramp to the rear of platform 2 to link the underpass to platform will also be built, with plans to provide bike hoops to the rear of platform two, resurface the footbridge to the north east of the station and improve the lighting.

Councillor Bert Biscoe, Cornwall Council portfolio holder for transport and waste, said: ^It is good to yet again see the partnership between Cornwall Council and Network Rail in action. Let us hope that this small step for safety will lead to a giant leap in usage of the railway station and will improve connectivity within Hayle for its residents and visitors.^

Councillor John Pollard, Cornwall Council leader and local member for Hayle North, said: ^This is an excellent scheme creating a safer and much needed access to the station from the North. The additional works to the old railway cutting will also enhance the area and establish a pedestrian route to Platform 2. I would like to thank Network Rail and particularly Philip Boorman of Cornwall Council who has negotiated, developed and championed this scheme and brought it to fruition.^

Network Rail says that over the past four years, there have been five near-misses reported at Hayle level crossing with one fatality in 2009.

Adding that the replacement of the crossing with the new access will "significantly help improve the safety in the area, protecting the lives of passengers and the community".

Work is set to start this month and is projected to complete by May 2014.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:37 »

I didn't realise there was an existing underpass or a foot bridge and I lived in Hayle for 3 years. It's been baffling me since I read the story yesterday.

There is a pedestrian foot crossing with warning lights.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
molinnis

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 20:19:23 »

I didn't realise there was an existing underpass or a foot bridge and I lived in Hayle for 3 years. It's been baffling me since I read the story yesterday.

There is a pedestrian foot crossing with warning lights.

The underpass is west of the station virtually under the pedestrian foot crossing, used as car access to rear of houses along Penpol terrace. The bridge is at the east end of the station. was originally I presume a road crossing but now just used as a footpath.
ACE

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 20:20:54 »

Another 'bargin' on the railways at ^811K...where DO they get these prices from?? But glad of some improvement at Hayle TBH (to be honest)

Western Region Rocker
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: