I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:10:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of Hayle station  (Read 33409 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 22:14:53 »

Another 'bargin' on the railways at ^811K...where DO they get these prices from?? But glad of some improvement at Hayle TBH (to be honest)

The disused harbour branch simply needs a bit of "gardening" and "weeding" so assume the big cost isn't involved in making that a footpath.
The underpass again just needs cutting back, so I can only assume the big cost is in building a ramp.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 12:47:18 »

From The Cornishman:

Passengers advised to leave extra time leaving from Hayle railway station

Passengers are being advised to leave extra time to access Hayle train station from tomorrow when the foot crossing is closed.

As part of the ^800,000 works at the station, the railway crossing is being replaced with a north-south link via the existing underpass and footbridge.

Passengers will have to access the station via the underpass when the path closes from 6.30am tomorrow.

First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) is reminding customers to allow an extra 10 minutes to their travel plans.

FGW Hayle station manager, Sara Rogers, said: "FGW prides itself on putting our customers first and supporting the communities we serve. We recognise the key role that rail travel has in supporting the local and national economy and we are delighted to be able to unveil this scheme.^

The joint scheme involving Network Rail, First Great Western, Cornwall Council and Sustrans is designed to create greater safety at the railway station following a fatality and five near misses in the past four years.

Work is expected to be completed by May.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2014, 12:42:27 »

I'm waiting at hayle now, the improvement looks great, clean and fresh, however they've not touched the underpass which looks a rusty mess. I walked from north Quay and it was great having the old freight line as a footpath, saving the walk the long way round to foundry square and up. Overall looks great other than the underpass

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:20 »

From the First Great Western press release:

First Great Western celebrate completion of ^800k station enhancement scheme

On 23 August 2014 First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)), Cornwall Council, Sustrans and Network Rail celebrated the completion of an ^811,000 improvement project at Hayle station.

Work to the station now provides for safer access for passengers and increased opportunities for the local community wishing to train by train. 

Welcoming guests on behalf of FGW Property Project Manager, Tony Cole. said: ^We recognise the key role that rail travel has in supporting the local and national economy and we are delighted that this improvement work has been completed, improving access to Hayle station for all of our customers. During the previous franchise over ^85 million was invested across our network of 210 stations, by working with industry partners, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and local authorities.^

The project has replaced the existing footpath crossing while the disused Harbour Branch railway line has been turned into a footpath and cycleway. New access to the south west of the station car park links the rear of platform 2 to the underpass via a ramp.

John Pollard, Leader of Cornwall Council, said: "This is another excellent example of partnership, co-operation and project management. I would like to thank everyone from First Great Western, Network Rail, Cornwall Council, Sustrans and the contractors for their positive approach and excellent work. The railway has been important to Hayle since we first built a line in 1837. I hope these improvements mark a new stage in better facilities and greater usage for this vital link."

As part of the celebrations Sustrans organised cycle rides on the new cycle path with some experienced cyclists and volunteers.

Sustrans Area Manager, Simon Murray said: ^We were delighted to be able work with our partners to deliver these local station improvements. Increasing opportunities for more integrated travel will be essential for residents and visitors to Cornwall if we are to encourage sustainable development at the same time as supporting economic growth. We hope the new cycling facilities and pedestrian access improvements are the first of many to benefit Cornish Stations and the growing interest in train travel for commuting purposes.^

Patrick Hallgate, Network Rail^s managing director for the western route, said: ^Safety on and around the railway is a top priority for us, which is why we have pledged to close a further 500 crossings across the UK (United Kingdom) by 2019. Successfully closing a level crossing is often a complex, lengthy process. I thank First Great Western, Cornwall Council and Sustrans for the help they have given us at Hayle to meet our safety target, and I look forward to continuing to work with them as we progress our closure programme and further improve safety across the South West."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: