17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
10:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
11:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:24:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Looe Branch Line - cancellations, engineering work, closures and incidents (merged topic)  (Read 65343 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 22:49:44 »

It connects out of the 1725 service from Plymouth (which I believe RichardB and the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership are encouraging Looe commuters to use) so it will do for me  Grin

Any idea what went wrong, vacman?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 14:32:43 »

Not sure of the circumstances behind that one?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 09:17:09 »

Unit appears to have broken down this morning, with "train fault" cited on the FGW (First Great Western) website.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 12:01:22 »

153380 duff, went empty to Plymouth. 153373 sent empty to Liskeard from Plymouth to resume the Looe service. 153373 was booked to work the 12:55 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) to GSL......
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 22:00:54 »

From the Daily Mail:

Slow train to HEAVEN: One man's two-year, 30,000-mile quest to find Britain's most enchanting rail journeys

The ancient signal clatters down and there^s a friendly wave from the guard. It^s time to climb aboard the little branch-line train, pottering along an idyllic Cornish valley to a perfect seaside fishing village.
Here, through the train window, England^s green and pleasant land can be viewed in all her springtime finery. The morning sun is firing up the cherry blossom after the harshest of winters. The sea on the horizon is bathed in the brilliant azure light that can only mean summer is on its way.
Aboard the freshly painted carriages, with newly washed windows sparkling in the sun, the tickets are inexpensive and the staff courteous. In the station buffet, a jolly lady serves freshly cooked breakfast.
^Would you like me to stop the train for you at the next halt, sir?^ asks the guard.
Surely this must be some nostalgic fantasy. Maybe a Thomas the Tank Engine theme park? Or perhaps a jaded commuter^s Monday morning dream? Shhh! I^m going to let you into a secret. This lovely, little-known railway at the extreme fringe of Britain is as much part of the national rail network as the overcrowded and delayed trains that we have all come to hate.
Rip-off fares, unexplained delays, broken toilets, irritating announcements and indigestible catering on our national rail system have all become part of the lexicon of modern British life.
But not everywhere. I came across the Liskeard-Looe line ^ and many other secret delights of our often-maligned rail system ^ during a 30,000-mile odyssey around Britain to find the best rail journeys in the land, as the 50th anniversary of the infamous Beeching Report approaches.
There are few love affairs more intense than that of the British with their railways. As a nation we invented the passenger train, and pride in the great heroes of the Railway Age ^ Stephenson, Trevithick, Brunel ^ runs through our national DNA.
Yet somehow, it always seems to go wrong. No more so than back in 1963 when a plump, balding physicist with an authoritarian moustache and an obsession with the bottom line took an axe to a third of Britain^s rail network.
Richard Beeching had been recruited from the chemicals firm ICI to produce his infamous report, The Reshaping Of British Railways, and his proposals were draconian.
Most ^stopping^ trains ^ those that made slow progress through numerous small stations ^ would be discontinued. Some 2,350 stations would be shut, along with 5,000 miles of track. No area would be spared. Almost all of Devon, Lincolnshire, Cumbria, Wales and the Highlands of Scotland would be robbed entirely of their passenger train services.
The arguments about Beeching still rage on half a century later. Did he deploy his brilliant scientific background to drag an inefficient nationalised industry out of the steam age and into the modern era? Or was he, as the Daily Mail columnist Quentin Letts claimed in a recent book, a ^foolish slasher-and-burner^, who dumped our railway heritage into the bin, like cold leftovers? Either way, the wounds are still raw.
Fortunately for most of us, the Evil Doctor^s brutality did not always prevail, and like the villagers of Titfield in the famous Ealing comedy The Titfield Thunderbolt, communities across the land rose up, fought back and frequently won.
Branches such as the Liskeard to Looe line won a last-minute reprieve. Today many of the loveliest railway journeys across the most scenic and historic landscapes of Britain are still with us, to be enjoyed for the price of an often inexpensive day return.
Perhaps, though, we should not be over-sentimental, given the many frustrations facing modern-day rail travellers.
The train company that operates the delightful branch lines of Devon and Cornwall is the very same one that runs what are officially the most overcrowded trains in Britain.
I squeezed onto the notorious 07.42 from Reading to London Paddington, which regularly carries 300 passengers more than it is designed for. As one commuter observed: ^There are regulations for transporting sheep and cattle with enough room ^ why not for us?^
In my travels around the network, I encountered other annoyances. Train company websites can be so complex that you need a degree in computer science to get the cheapest fares. I^ve witnessed heartless ticket collectors who mug old ladies with hefty penalty fares when they have left their railcards at home.
I have been dumped with heavy luggage in the middle of nowhere to continue my railway journey by bus because of ^over-running engineering works^.
And why is it that the buffet car still always seems to close before trains heading north from London have reached Watford?
But none of this should be allowed to dim the joy of slow trains as an unrivalled means of getting to the heart of our beautiful land. As the days become longer and the sun gets higher, I^ll be back aboard those little carriages, rumbling through spectacular mountains and pretty seaside villages, through gritty industrial landscapes and gently rolling hills, where there are always new pleasures to be discovered through the train window.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 22:15:43 »

A nice article/review rather spoiled by the author's pandering to what he thinks the Daily Mail readership will want to read about the state of Britain's railways.

Oh, and very surprising to see a list of 'enchanting rail journeys' that doesn't include the West Highland Line.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 22:20:41 »

I did warn our readers that it was a Daily Mail article ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2011, 03:29:09 »

Anyone would think that Mr Williams had another book to peddle or something... Wink
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 10:55:28 »

A good article, however I feel looking at the definition of mugging might be useful for the author.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 21:05:16 »

Signal......what signal..............there are none on the Looe branch except Distant, Stop and Level Crossing signs Roll Eyes
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 22:44:44 »

i always thought there was a set for between coombe junction and liskeard?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 12:29:29 »

I think I know which signal he is referring to it's on one of the main platforms and you walk underneath it to get to the looe platform
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 15:20:54 »

i always thought there was a set for between coombe junction and liskeard?

There is a "guard-worked" set of points opertaed at a ground frame and a cabinet containing signalling eqipment (or maybe just a token) at the junction, but IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) no signal.  There is a traditional signal box at Liskard on the main line though and as Relex109 says when you walk from the London bound mainline platform to teh branch platform you walk under an old signal for mainlien trains. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 17:59:37 »

I think I know which signal he is referring to it's on one of the main platforms and you walk underneath it to get to the looe platform

Yes - isn't it the signal we have discussed previously, in another topic - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=4143.msg34791#msg34791

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 13:32:29 »

Is this the one?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: