Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:19:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Looe Branch Line - cancellations, engineering work, closures and incidents (merged topic)  (Read 64329 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 22:30:52 »

Wouldn't this scheme threaten the service from Liskard to Looe. People may just drive to the P&Ride car park and forget about the rail connexion.

What would happen to Combe junction?
It may inconvinience the two locals that use the line! They're called Sue and Steve!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 09:58:00 »

Are the trains timetabled to suit them by any chance?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 14:31:33 »

Wouldn't this scheme threaten the service from Liskard to Looe. People may just drive to the P&Ride car park and forget about the rail connexion.

What would happen to Combe junction?
It may inconvinience the two locals that use the line! They're called Sue and Steve!

What I really meant was that surely less trains would operate from Liskard, therefore making it harder for people who come by rail to the branch.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 17:27:44 »

It should be marketed as a park & ride to both Liskeard & Looe, really, I suppose.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 16:25:30 »

Me thinks any Park and Ride down in Moorswater area is going to cost Big Bucks.
Two platforms would be the answer so during the Summer months TWO trains could operate the Liskeard Looe service passing at moorswater.  Freight traffic can still operate.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 10:58:31 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

Train services between Liskeard and Looe are being disrupted due to a train fault. Short notice cancellations can be expected.

Road replacement transport will be in operation. Full service is planned to be reinstated from 11:50 onwards.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 20:48:58 »

There is a good deal of local enthusiasm for a park and ride at Moorswater but, as earlier posters have pointed out, there isn't a nice, easy straightforward scheme.

Firstly, freight would probably need to end (possibly not too much of an issue because, at a guess, it might be able to go elsewhere), then you need to fund a new platform and car park, be able to fund sufficient rolling stock to make a park and ride worthwhile (with platform extension at Looe as well) and finally work out how you are going to make connections between the main line and Looe.

On top of this, as mentioned above, you have the issue of coupled stock (apart from Cl150s) not being allowed between Coombe Jn and Liskeard.

Last Summer, having a Cl150 instead of a Cl153 largely coped with peak Summer demand and despite the terrible weather, the peak Summer four week period (mid July - mid August) was the busiest in the ten yers I have figures for.

We had a shop on the Looe platform (3) at Liskeard last Summer and counted car park spaces at 1PM (pretty much the peak). Even on the sunniest day, the car park wasn't completely full - there were still a handful of spaces left.  That car park could be expanded a bit and more spaces created.  Doing this and keeping the peak Summer 150 is probably the best answer for, say, the next five/ten years.

Making Moorswater work might mean running a Summer Liskeard - Moorswater shuttle, with through passengers changing at Moorswater for the Moorswater - Looe service.  I reckon you could run a half-hourly service between Moorswater and Looe and you could pretty much use anything on it if you lengthened the platform at Looe (by anything, I mean four coach DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)/Sprinter or even at a real pinch loco-hauled).

As you can see, it is all very knotty and expensive.  Would the break in through service be acceptable? I'm not at all sure.   That's almost certainly why BR (British Rail(ways)) didn't follow their Lelant Saltings success with Moorswater.

Richard Burningham
Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 21:08:39 »

We had a shop on the Looe platform (3) at Liskeard last Summer and counted car park spaces at 1PM (pretty much the peak). Even on the sunniest day, the car park wasn't completely full - there were still a handful of spaces left.  That car park could be expanded a bit and more spaces created.  Doing this and keeping the peak Summer 150 is probably the best answer for, say, the next five/ten years.

Of which I visited at least once...

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 21:17:05 »

There is a good deal of local enthusiasm for a park and ride at Moorswater but, as earlier posters have pointed out, there isn't a nice, easy straightforward scheme.

Firstly, freight would probably need to end (possibly not too much of an issue because, at a guess, it might be able to go elsewhere), then you need to fund a new platform and car park, be able to fund sufficient rolling stock to make a park and ride worthwhile (with platform extension at Looe as well) and finally work out how you are going to make connections between the main line and Looe.

On top of this, as mentioned above, you have the issue of coupled stock (apart from Cl150s) not being allowed between Coombe Jn and Liskeard.

Last Summer, having a Cl150 instead of a Cl153 largely coped with peak Summer demand and despite the terrible weather, the peak Summer four week period (mid July - mid August) was the busiest in the ten yers I have figures for.

Making Moorswater work might mean running a Summer Liskeard - Moorswater shuttle, with through passengers changing at Moorswater for the Moorswater - Looe service.  I reckon you could run a half-hourly service between Moorswater and Looe and you could pretty much use anything on it if you lengthened the platform at Looe (by anything, I mean four coach DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)/Sprinter or even at a real pinch loco-hauled).

As you can see, it is all very knotty and expensive.  Would the break in through service be acceptable? I'm not at all sure.   That's almost certainly why BR (British Rail(ways)) didn't follow their Lelant Saltings success with Moorswater.

Richard Burningham

Parry People mover comes to mind for the Liskeard shuttle! Although I do think you are right about expanding Liskeard instead, the timetable for Looe last summer was quite useful with plenty of connections.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 21:20:04 »

Richard Burningham

Parry People mover comes to mind for the Liskeard shuttle! Although I do think you are right about expanding Liskeard instead, the timetable for Looe last summer was quite useful with plenty of connections.

Was there not a gap of about 2hours on the Saturday though?

Cheers
Jim Smiley
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 21:22:13 »

In the winter timetable there are a few 1 1/2 - 2 hour gaps!
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 21:23:00 »

Was it not the same in the summer then?

Cheers
Jim Smiley
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 21:26:39 »

Was it not the same in the summer then?
No, there were about 5 "dated trains" that ran from June-September.
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 21:59:49 »

I think its best to keep it as it is but market it much better. The number of times last summer a group of four people were on the train and when told 'thats ^6 please' gave me ^24... 'No, its ^6 for the four of you', then came the utter amazement. Group save four is ^6 return Liskeard to Looe but to me it always seemed people were expecting to pay more, which means two things. 1) It could be more expensive :> and 2) its not marketed correctly. Where does it say all over Liskeard and the surrounding area that you can park free and take four people to Looe for ^6?? It doesnt!

On three return trips today we carried a total of ten passengers, off peak loadings are dire, as are what should be the 'peak' early morning trains. The commuter/student flow to/from Plymouth has virtually disapeared, shame, probably down to 18 months of a shambolic service.

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 22:51:23 »

I think its best to keep it as it is but market it much better. The number of times last summer a group of four people were on the train and when told 'thats ^6 please' gave me ^24... 'No, its ^6 for the four of you', then came the utter amazement. Group save four is ^6 return Liskeard to Looe but to me it always seemed people were expecting to pay more, which means two things. 1) It could be more expensive :> and 2) its not marketed correctly. Where does it say all over Liskeard and the surrounding area that you can park free and take four people to Looe for ^6?? It doesnt!

On three return trips today we carried a total of ten passengers, off peak loadings are dire, as are what should be the 'peak' early morning trains. The commuter/student flow to/from Plymouth has virtually disapeared, shame, probably down to 18 months of a shambolic service.

Thanks oooo - the Looe fares have been a bugbear of mine for sometime as (and you won't catch me saying this too often) they are too cheap, especially for groups of three and upwards.  I was in our office at Looe station one morning last Summer when someone came in and asked for six adults, three children day return to Liskeard.  With GroupSave, that is just ^13.00 - cue the same utter amazement as you see. 

You can never do enough marketing, but we do do a line guide (new edition out in mid February) and, once the Summer timetable begins, timetable leaflets, a leaflet promoting park and ride from Liskeard and a Days Out from Looe and Liskeard leaflet, all widely distributed througout South East Cornwall and further afield (especially the park & ride leaflet and line guide.)  All of these mention the GroupSave fare and how cheap it is - to be honest, I think people who see the leaflets just can't believe it.

Today was of course a terrible day weather-wise and this morning's cancellation of the service did not help.  Deep Winter has always been pretty quiet on the line.

We are going to launch a Looe - Plymouth Carnet ticket in the next few weeks to see if we can get some more regular commuters.   There will be a free trial too.   The commuting connections between Looe and Plymouth are pretty good, especially in the morning.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Richard Burningham

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 23:40:41 by RichardB » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: