Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:24:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Strike ballot over rail rosters at Cardiff (18/11/2009)  (Read 15862 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 19:00:43 »

Welcome along, We apologise for..., and thanks for a detailed, reasoned and eloquent view of this one from the other side of the fence!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 19:01:41 »

Please may I echo the welcome to "We apologise for ..."; I'm delighted that discussions are resumed on the issues and case.

Railway signalling is one of those areas that's critical to the passenger's safety (and timekeeping), but something that few of us travellers know little about.   I travelled by train on Sunday and spoke with all the usual groups ... but not with signallers nor permanent way staff (again "as usual"). So this is an educational insite / thread.

Half a lifetime ago, I worked shifts ... and they started out as 5 x 8 hour shifts per week.  We (folks doing the job) got together and suggested that we switch to 4 x 10 hour shifts and indeed we did so ... 8 days on and 6 days off.  Quality of life much improved; reduced travel to work.  It was a hard physical job; by the 8th day it was "could do with a break" time, but we were always double manned on the Friday, with the fresh person coming on too for what was by far the busiest day of the week.  And whilst the job was not safety critical, it was ceratianly one in which errors could be very expensive indeed. I just add that to the melting pot ... just hope that something that works for everyone can be worked out.  And I'll probably make a few folks jealous as to how we managed to negotiate the shift pattern that suited everyone!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 23:33:22 »

You see this is unions are bad.

It doesnt matter what a company do, the unions will complain.

Unless its a massive amount more money, they object to any change!

I'd be interested to see if FA holds the same opinion now of unions under these circumstances?

Yes I do - I will do a detailed response to the arguments in the next half hour or so but, at the end of the day, in TODAY's economic climate, there are plenty of people out there unemployed who would be skilled and able enough to do the job without the bellyaching going on.

Edit - some of the points I have sympathy with to AN EXTENT - but I shall make comparisons to the non unionized vast majority of the workforce.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 23:48:21 »

This seems to be one of the few cases lately where industrial action is understandable compared to many other disputes on the railway recently. Lately we have seen unions going on strike without encouraging both management and employees to make sacrifices which has led to a large number of people to hate unions in the current climate, myself included. There is a mentality that people working on the railway deserve beter pay on conditions whilst the majority of people have to cope with the opposite to keep their jobs and are quite happy to do so when they look at the alternative which is being unemployed.

Back to the dispute however, this seems to be that staff have been open for discussion to come to an agreement that both parties are happy with as the signallers are willing to make some concessions to reach a suitable conclusion. I just hope something canbe sorted that means the signallers do not suffer but also cost saving and efficiency can be achieved which NR» (Network Rail - home page) must be after with the new system
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 00:23:11 »

The dispute involves between 70 and 80 signallers in the South Wales area, all of whom have one thing in common. They will be the first of many that will, within the next few years, be housed in the new "Welsh Assembly" led state of the art control centre in Cardiff. This will include all of those from North/Mid and West Wales as well, since it is the Welsh Assembly's stated aim to create Welsh Rail, where all parts of the rail network in Wales are controlled from Cardiff. The first part has already been achieved, when management of the North Wales coast route was transferred to Cardiff six months ago to join the existing South Wales control. Now they start on bringing all the signallers under the same roof, starting January 4th.

The Newport signallers are the first to be affected, with 6 being forced to transfer in January and the remaining 12 next October. I say forced, because although NR» (Network Rail - home page) will say that four volunteered to transfer, it was made quite clear that if no "volunteers" came forward, six would be chosen, and if they refused to go, they would be making themselves redundant. As it is, two have been forced to transfer against their wishes to the new location.

Not the companies problem.  They have decided to relocate the office - they can choose to do so.  They could relocate to outer siberia or the outer hebrides if that was appropriate - not their problem.  I know of people who have had to move to the other end of the country - literally - to keep a job because the office relocated.  If you don't want to work in the new office, you don't have a job.  Not the companies problem - its yours.  You clearly have much better prospects or opportunities elsewhere.

The staff in all of the larger South Wales signal boxes, together with the Vale of Glamorgan, have worked 12 hour shifts without difficulty for a number of years. In the case of Newport, they were introduced at the company's request 12 years ago. The majority of the staff working in Newport have joined the team since that time, on the understanding of the shift pattern. Many, like myself, have actively chosen the shift pattern after many years of working 8 hour shifts in various jobs. The average age of the staff in Newport is about 40. The majority of us have done jobs in the outside world, and know what it is like. Many have children, and the shift pattern lends itself to allowing a better family life, easier child care arrangements, less travelling, all things that this Government has been actively promoting over the past years.

All that the staff who are immediately affected by this impending move have ever asked, is that the upheaval of moving working locations is kept to a minimum. NR promised in fact, to ensure that this was the case when the move was first discussed. It is bad enough for the staff in Newport that they have to travel to probably the most difficult part of Cardiff to access from that direction. On match days and special events, access will be doubly difficult, and travelling time will often be extended. What NR is now demanding is that we also work on an additional 80 days a year, with all the costs and problems that it brings. This will have a devastating affect for many on ourselves and our families. More importantly, if NR are allowed to do it this time, they will have a precedent for all future openings and for removing the 12 hour facility from all other areas. This is why many of my colleagues nationally are watching events with equal interest and concern. The decision was made not to involve them in the ballot at this stage because it does not directly involve them. We chose to limit the effect to the immediate area so as to interupt the lives of as few as possible while proving our point. We apologise in advance to those who are affected.

If you google my user id - mainly the former one - you will see this is a common statement I make anywhere so is not related to this discussion.  Having children is a lifestyle choice.  If you want them, its your choice, you're problem.  Not your employers, not anyone elses.   There are too many people on the planet already.  I won't expand on having children and expecting others to deal with the associated fallout ......

It is not only the extra costs for travel amd loss of free time that this is about, it's about extra childcare costs, other family members having to change their working arrangements to fit in. At present, several wives of signallers work part time so that they can work when their husbands are off work. What effect does that have when the main bread winner is in work for two or three days a week extra, often at antisocial hours. From the outset of negotiations, which started seven months ago, NR have catagorically refused to budge on the issue of 8 hour shifts. They claim it is to save costs. At first it was ^1600 a man less per year, (although this disregards the additional costs paid under redundancy arrangements for travel because they are being paid by somebody else). Safety issues were never even mentioned. They even accepted that in terms of fatigue, the choice of 8 hours versus 12 hours was fatigue neutral. The latest figure quoted is ^136000 total additional cost, although where that comes from who knows. We've also been told that if we have 12 hour shifts, six others will have to lose their jobs, which is tantamount to blackmail.

We have tried to come to a compromise. We have even offered to allow spare capacity in Newport (which is built into the 12 hour roster that NR agreed with the remaining staff only two weeks ago) to travel to Cardiff to cover the one shift every 12 weeks that, under their table of organisation, makes any attempt to create a roster which is complaint with agreed principals impossible. At every turn, we have been rebuffed, deceived, and told outright lies. The strike action is the result of 7 months of outright frustration on the part of the staff . It could end tomorrow with one simple acknowledgement that we are entitled to retain what we already have. We're not asking for extra money, or less hours, or better conditions. Just to be able to keep what we already have.

This is the only bit I really have sympathy for.  I am used to working 10am to 6pm with no lunch - and even 10m to 8pm but only four days a week. Currently having to do 0830am to 5pm is killing me.  However I am gradually bringing them around to my way of thinking - by Feb I'll have it cracked.  

The staff who do the job have all accepted, when they joined the grades, that there are certain limitations on their social lives, which the job requires. This job does not just affect our lives for the 8 or 12 hours that we are in work like so many. We have to modify our social lives well before we actually start work. For example, few realise that to be safe, we are advised not to drink alcohol within 12 hours of starting work. Reporting for duty with any amount greater than the natually occuring level of alcohol in the bloodstream is a dismissable offence and we are subject to random screening. You can quite happily drive to work, get stopped and pass a breathaliser test with flying colours, and still be found under the influence at work and sacked, three hours after you've started work. This is not so bad if you have three days off between shifts, but imagine if this is your one day off in thirteen days. How many others would accept the imposition of that sort of limitation?

If it were a condition of keeping a job I wanted to keep, yes I would.  

That is why more and more signallers have chosen the 12 hour shift pattern, and the majority of those who cannot swap view us with a degree of envy. Almost all signallers who are on 8 hour shifts will tell you that in order to obtain any sort of quality time off (we are talking four consecutive days including a Sunday), they have to work strings of seven or eight consecutive shifts, often followed by one day off and another string of five or six days. I would ask what is safer, to work a maximum of four 12 hour night shifts, followed by three days off (as we currently do), or a run of seven late shifts, with a days off and seven nights with no guarantee that you won't be asked to work on your day off as well. The maximum number of shifts that a signaller can work in 13 x 8  hour shifts in a row before a day off and many have been asked to do that in the past, because of a policy of always maintaining vacancies for budgetary purposes.

So to get meaningful time off you need four days in a row?  I like my drink, but its not essential to having "meaningful" time off.  Unless drinking were my only hobby.

The matter of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report into the Westbury derailment was also raised. This has been jumped on by NR as a nice little deflection towards the safety aspect, even though the report actually said that fatigue COULD have played a part. (No absollute certainty there). If you read the report in full, it raises a few key issues. The member of staff concerned had a roster which saw him working six consecutive shifts. This was his sixth. In the past five, he had finished at midnight, 6am, midnight, 6am and midnight. It is no wonder that his body clock was all to hell with a pattern like that. The background of it was that it was decided that one man was all that was needed to operated the 80, or so miles of route that Westbury covered, after midnight, and so one of the night shifts was withdrawn in order to cut a post and save money. All well and good, and given the traffic which tends to be reasonably light early morning, they are correct. That is until something goes wrong and the workload rockets, mainly due to the number of phonecalls that you will recieve, often totally unnecessary. If you also look at the comparison between his base roster and his actual hours, you will find that in the previous month he had worked six addtional shifts, all because Westbury carried two vacancies. As already said, it is an NR policy to keep vacancies, because it is cheaper to pay overtime than incur pension and national insurance payments of another on the headcount. This has been going on for years.

I cant comment as I do not know.

Look - I do have some sympathy - even despite my hardline approach which is how many out there will view it.  

I just don't think that what is essentially a public service (I know its privatised but tell that to the travelling public) should hold the public to ransom.  Its different than if Ford go on strike - if the cars aren't produced you go buy a vauxhall.  If the signals are on strike - I cant get to work - there is no reasonable alternative.  If I don't get to work, at best I lose money at worst (as happened in 2007/08 but that was not strikes but FGW (First Great Western) unreliability) I lose a contract entirely.  However, I cannot force notwork rail to change - if I use the rail I use the rail.  A non service the customer can force a change by using a competitor.  In what is in effect a monopoly you cant.  

I WOULD support unions and strike action if there were different suppliers of signals and trains so that if, say signal company A went on strike, the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s could use signal company B.  I know it would not work in terms of rail signalling buy I'm trying to explain  as best I can.

The point is - this affects me but I can't do anything to affect the outcome so why should I suffer.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:19:29 by inspector_blakey » Logged

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 00:25:18 »

All my quoting went tits up

In a nutshell - I have sympathy but I have put the opposite arguments.  And I don't see why I who cant do squat about the outcome, should suffer f I cant get from A to B

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 03:30:47 »

FA, I've taken the liberty of editing your quoting so hopefully it's now tit-free: you need to use a forward slash rather than a back slash when you close the quote, then it'll work fine (i.e. [/quote] NOT [\quote]).

I find myself sitting on the fence somewhat with this one - I can see both sides of the argument, particularly as someone who is likely to be affected by strike action on British Airways in the next couple of weeks. I find the signallers' arguments rather more persuasive that those of the BA» (British Airways - about) cabin crew (which, quite frankly I think are largely specious).

And yet, in all probability, BA's cabin crew will vote "yes" to a strike next Monday. That strike can be called as early as 21 December. If it is, then having booked a flight home to the other side of the pond for Christmas months ago before any of this blew up, I am faced with having to spend a significant amount of money to book a last-minute ticket with another airline if I want to see my friends and family.

No doubt if a Christmas strike is called, the union will claim it was "forced into it by BA's intransigence" or words to that effect, and that they don't want to inconvenience passengers but had no alternative (garbage - the mandate to strike from a ballot remains good for 28 days so if they choose to they can miss Christmas entirely).

But my point, ultimately, is this: I am an innocent party in the argument between BA and its staff, and yet I and many others may end up not just inconvenienced but severely out of pocket to boot.

Likewise with a rail strike - as a customer, even though I really genuinely can see where the signallers are coming from, it's difficult to buy the suggestion that "we don't want to inconvenience passengers" when that's an obvious, necessary and unavoidable consequence of the action that will be taken.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:48 »

Having children is a lifestyle choice.  If you want them, its your choice, you're problem.  Not your employers, not anyone elses.

Commuting by rail is a lifestyle choice. If you want to do that, it's your choice, and your problem. Not the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), not anyone else's.

Now, what did I do with my devil's advocate smiley? I'm sure I've used it before. Ah...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
We apologise for...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 17:01:50 »

Well what can I say.

Thank you for the welcome, it was much appreciated. It was never my intention when I posted to try and change peoples minds or attitudes, so I take no offence if anyone disagrees with what I wrote, and they get no argument from me. I know that for many, the inconvenience suffered will over-ride any understanding of a situation because that is human nature. I suffer exactly the same myself. Sit in a queue of traffic for two hours, you tend to forget that the reason that you are sat there is that somebody has been severely injured in a crash, you only concentrate on the missed appointment that it's caused you. What I was truely grateful for was the obvious understanding that posters have since expressed.

I have no doubt that there will be trains running next week whatever we do. Already, we are having visits from managers who we have never seen before, and we are being told to go away while they spend an hour at our workstation under the observation of other managers. They will no doubt claim that the personel brought in to maintain the train service will be fully compliant with training legislation and will be able to provide documentation to back up this competency. However, we spend at least one month on each workstation training to be able to deal instantly with every one of the situations that can arise before we can be considered competent to work them alone, and another six months on probation after passing out. If anyone thinks back to Ladbroke Grove, the signaller there had 12 seconds from being aware that an accident may take place to possibly avert or greatly reduce the extent of the accident, and was criticised for not having done so, although the report was highly critical of the training that he had received in dealing with these situations.

None of the managers doing the training have worked in this signal box on a regular basis for at least five years. I will make no allegations, but leave it to everyone else's judgment as to whether this is suitable behaviour for a company charged with your safety.

The job itself is not difficult, and can often be quite mundain, that is until things go wrong. It's four o'clock in the morning, and everything is going smoothly when suddenly a bell rings out, then another, you start counting and get to six. You're hunting the panel to see which button has a small light illuminated above it, you've got four to choose from and just manage to catch a glimpse of it before it goes out. Within a second, you flick a switch and a signal goes back to red. You double check to make sure that no trains have passed it in the last couple of minutes, and that nothing is approaching it, even though you know in your head that there hasn't been one. Now you can relax a bit and pick up a phone and confirm that you have stopped trains. You realise just how fast your heart rate has gone up as the adrenaline pumps around your body.

It may read like a good novel, but all the best ones are based on fact. What I've just described is a scene that is very fresh in the memory. It happened this morning, and it was the first time in five years that I've ever received an emergency alarm without being first warned about it. The situation was real, and it is by good grace that no train from my direction was affected, otherwise the pressure really goes on. You have to stop that train. Sadly, the man in Cardiff was not so fortunate, because it was he that received the call from a driver to say that he had hit something in the Rumney area. It turned out to be two people, who both sadly lost their lives. The number of hours I had already worked did not affect my judgement, or my reaction times. I was 10 hours into my second shift, and after tonight, will be able to put the incident behind me for a few days. I find myself wondering if I would have been so responsive if I was six hours into my seventh shift out of ten, which is what the latest proposal that our management is suggesting we should work.

I am personally torn between the effects that this has on the public, and the effect that the proposed changes to my chosen personal lifestyle will cause. Having worked with the public for many years, including for a company not so far from your hearts, and spent a long time commuting on that same company's trains as you do, I can also sympathise with your own personal situations. Getting home from work at 2am in the morning instead of 11pm because of severe disruption is never a joke whatever the cause.

matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 18:00:03 »

I am personally torn between the effects that this has on the public, and the effect that the proposed changes to my chosen personal lifestyle will cause. Having worked with the public for many years, including for a company not so far from your hearts, and spent a long time commuting on that same company's trains as you do, I can also sympathise with your own personal situations. Getting home from work at 2am in the morning instead of 11pm because of severe disruption is never a joke whatever the cause.

You are the most sincere member of railway staff I have seen when it comes to affecting the public as sadly many see the public as an interference with them doing hteir job and getting paid. I really sympathise for you at the moment as many disputes on the network have led to the public haveing no sympathy for striking staff as a result of people like Bob Crow who use unions as a class war or a staff vs management dispute where no one really wins.

By the way I am one of the people who will be affected by the strikes but in this situation I am on the side of the signallers and agree a strike may be the best action in this instance. I hope everything turns out well however for the signallers and Network Rail so that both parties come to an agreement that benefits both parties and the travelling public before the strikes are due to take place.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 15:06:04 »

From Network Rail:

Quote from: Network Rail
STRIKE WILL NOT AFFECT MAIN LINE SERVICES OR SAFETY IN SOUTH WALES

Network Rail is assuring passengers that strike action, scheduled to take place in south Wales next week, will have minimal effect on rail services. The busy south Wales main line will remain open for business and train services will run as normal on the six days.

Chris Rayner, route director for Network Rail, said: ^We will not allow this unnecessary strike to cause major disruption to passengers. We have a tried and tested contingency plan in place. Trained staff will be standing in for strikers, so that passenger services run pretty much as normal. Safety will not be compromised ^ either in the arrangements for covering the strike or as part of the proposed roster that enables signallers to work shorter hours. We^re also providing support for any signallers who want to work.

^Our doors remain open to discussion and we urge the unions to meet us to find a sensible solution. This strike is a pointless distraction from giving the service that passengers want and is also hitting our people in their pocket just before Christmas. RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) needs to recognise economic reality and bring itself into the modern world of work.^

Network Rail staff, who have rallied round to lend their support, are qualified and experienced signallers. 

They have had additional training and are fully competent and able to carry out the task of signalling operation for the six days.

The action is in response to a consultation by Network Rail about improving roster hours to eight hours, providing more productive hours for employees. 

Half the signallers working in south Wales are already on the new roster.

The new practice is compliant to the national rostering principles, agreed by the unions in 2003.

Notes to Editors:

There will be no changes to services on south Wales main line, Pontypridd, Treherbert, Merthyr Tydfil, Aberdare, Maesteg, Ebbw Vale, Shrewsbury/Crewe/Manchester, Gloucester/Cheltenham, West Wales Mid and North Wales lines.

There will be a slightly altered service on the Coryton, City Line and Penarth to Rhymney Lines on 14 - 15 Dec only.

Passengers are advised to check the time-table before they start their journey.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 22:12:11 »

Rather predictably, the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) view is somewhat different.  From rail-news.com:

Six days of strike action

Rail union RMT today confirmed solid support for six days of strike action by a group of signalling staff in the Wales and the Marches Operations area ^ starting first thing Monday morning ^ over the imposition of rosters at the new South Wales Control Centre due to open in January 2010.

RMT warned today that managers from other parts of the UK (United Kingdom) are being brought in at short notice to try and run signaling services with union members reporting that they are receiving five hours of briefing for duties that would normally require a minimum of a month^s full training. RMT have raised the potential safety risks of trying to run rail signalling on such an ad-hoc bas in an effort to break the strike.

The strike action will run from 00.01 hrs on Monday December 14 through to 23.59 hrs on Saturday December 19.

The strike will involve RMT signalling grades members at the following NR» (Network Rail - home page) signalling locations in the Wales and Marches Operations Area; the new South Wales Control Centre, Newport panel, Vale of Glamorgan (Barry Box, Barry Relief, Aberthaw Box, Cowbridge Road Box), Rhymney Valley (Heath Junction, Ystrad Mynach, Bargoed), Cardiff panel and Port Talbot panel.

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said: ^Our members are rock solid in their determination to stop the bulldozing through of rosters at the new South Wales Control Centre which we believe are all about saving money and which unilaterally rip up existing agreements.

^This is nothing less than an attempt by management to impose working conditions that will allow them to shove staff around at will and force them to work up to 13 days back to back to cover for vacancies and save Network Rail money. That goes right to the heart of this dispute.

^RMT maintains that the existing 12 hour roster is tried and tested and that the 8 hour roster that Network Rail are trying to impose at the new South Wales Control Centre when it opens in January will have damaging consequences for both staff and the service. Work-life balance arrangements will be wrecked in a drive to make financial cuts.

^Rather than taking risks with safety by drafting in under-trained managers from other parts of the UK in an effort to break this strike it would make much more sense for Network Rail to get back around the table to negotiate a settlement to this dispute.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 23:07:32 »

I have a feeling I might personally know one of the NR» (Network Rail - home page) managers why is likely be drafted in to cover for signallers. The person I am thinking of has signalling in his blood, having spent his entire career working for the railways in that capacity. His knowledge and experience are, quite frankly, intimidating: if (and I admit, this is something of an "if") all of the "relief" signalling staff are of his calibre I would have no concerns about safety.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 23:21:01 »

His knowledge and experience are, quite frankly, intimidating: if (and I admit, this is something of an "if") all of the "relief" signalling staff are of his calibre I would have no concerns about safety.

That's a little bit like saying that a driver of 40 years experience of driving between London and Bristol would have no problems taking a HST (High Speed Train) down the ECML (East Coast Main Line) from London to Edinburgh after a couple of trips down there in the cab. Signalboxes, and the areas they cover, are by their very nature unique.

Whilst I can see what you're saying, and NR» (Network Rail - home page) certainly won't be exposing the public to genuine risk of the levels the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) would have you believe, there is no substitute for local knowledge and experience - if, God forbid, there was another incident like Ladbroke Grove, then NR would get an absolute carpeting!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 23:23:25 »

I should probably have clarified, but that signalling experience has been in South Wales!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: