Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:21:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPRE Call For Reopening Of The Teign Valley Railway  (Read 19100 times)
FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 22:25:53 »

I might be wrong; I am sure in dartmouth there is a plaque of a prosped plan rail route which went though Holden Hill, which joined the main line at South Brent
danregs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 13:18:39 »

Was there a report in the local press recently about some chap in the area who is fighting a proposal to block up one of the tunnels on this line with a million tons of concrete,or was that somewhere else? About 2 months ago,i think.

I didn't see the report in the paper, but the chap you speak of is probably Colin Burges, creator of teignrail.co.uk

I've been down to Christow station to chat to Colin, and what he had to say was very interesting indeed!

I actually live in Alphington where the line used to run through and then out of Exeter on towards Ide. I've spent the last 6 months collecting as much info as possible on the line, trauling the internet, reading books, visiting the remains of the infrastructure along the line, taking photos and documenting it. It's such a beautiful route and it would be fantastic to see it up and running again!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 13:53:29 by danregs » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 13:37:05 »

Welcome to the forum, danregs

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
danregs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 14:00:42 »

Welcome to the forum, danregs

Thanks! Smiley
woody

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 23:38:52 »

For those interested the 1935/36 Great Western Railway plans for a new route from Exminster to Newton Abbot bypassing Teignmouth and Dawlish are held at the Devon Record Office Archives at Sowton in Exeter under the following references.
Unfortunately the 2nd World War stopped these schemes progressing.

Great Western Railway (Additional Powers)  QS/DP/860  1935
Contents:
1) Railway No 1 (Newton Abbot and Dawlish): via parishes of Kingsteignton, Bishopsteignton, Urban Districts of Teignmouth and Dawlish; length 8 ^ miles; commencing and terminating at junctions with South Devon Railway.
2)Bridge, River Diversions and Lands at Exeter: parish of Upton Pyne and Borough of Exeter.

Included are sections of intended works and published map showing 1).
Scale: 25" to the mile
Surveyor: R. Carpmael (Engineer)
Plans (pen, ink) and book of reference

Great Western Railway.  QS/DP/868 1936                                     
Contents:
1) Railway No 2. (Dawlish and Exminster): via Urban District of Dawlish, parishes of Mamhead, Kenton, Powderham, Exminster; length 7^ miles; commencing at junction with railway No 1 (see QS/DP/860), terminating at junction with South Devon Railway; includes sections of railway and road diversions en route.
2) Lands at Totnes (and at Denham in County of Buckingham).
Scale: 25" to the mile
Surveyor: R. Carpmael (Engineer)
Plan (pen, ink) and book of reference
These documents are held at Devon Record Office

The Great Western Railway had also surveyed a new route onward from Newton Abbot bypassing Totnes as well as Dainton and Rattery Banks and re-joining the existing railway near Marley Tunnel to be engineered to a minimum 1 mile radius curvature for high speed.
  How times have changed
FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 17:48:01 »

Thanks very interesting article

Guy
danregs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 12:45:20 »

How much longer is it going to be before people realise the Teign Valley line needs to be reopened?!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8555272.stm
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 14:40:37 »

I have only just dropped a complaint into the post box relating this issue. It's not an issue with the sea wall, it's simply a terrible design of train.
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 15:05:55 »

Perhaps Cross Country's fleet of HSTs (High Speed Train), which seem to be presently surplus to requirements, could be moved to Exeter / Plymouth / Penzance to provide their services in the event of non-Voyager friendly weather affecting the line along the sea wall?
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 18:51:52 »

This forum actually has some pictures of Perridge Tunnel on the TVR, which suffered a roof collapse in the 1980s and is 829 yards long:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=39664

You can clearly see the tunnel was built for a single line only. Whilst I agree there needs to be a long-term alternative to the sea wall route, I can't see how a winding single track branch line with 2 single line tunnels is going to improve services beyond Exeter.

A photo of the blockage is a few posts down. There's also a photo of Culver Tunnel, 261 yards, which is in somewhat better condition.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: