Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:31:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: (Not Very) First Class Service  (Read 4733 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 22:17:56 »

1630 Padd to Taunton very busy this evening. First class still pretty crowded beyond Taunton with the majority of seats taken.

Yet the Customer Host chose to hide away at the rear end of Coach H with her trolley, doing, well not particularly much actually.

So, already displeased at why she's not doing her job, I approach her and ask for a cup of tea. "Sorry, I can't sell you anything".  I explain I don't want to buy anything, I just want a cup of tea. "I'm afraid I can't give you one - these are complimentary items for 1st class passengers".

I explained that I was indeed a first class passenger, and I wasn't sure why she thought I wouldn't be. Oh well, I've just sent a couple away who were standard passengers. (No buffet on this set - just a trolley at the far end of standard.)

I didn't bother to point out that if she actually took the trolley through the train like she's supposed to then she would soon identify which were first class pax as they would be the ones sitting in the seats, as opposed to the occasional passenger from standard looking for a cup of tea..

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 22:31:15 »

Hmm.  I'd be inclined to send in a formal complaint to FGW (First Great Western), John.

I had a chat with a very knowledgable member of FGW staff at lunchtime today: the impression I got was that there are problems with catering on FGW.  If passengers do complain, where appropriate, hopefully those problems will be addressed?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 22:33:30 »

Hmm.  I'd be inclined to send in a formal complaint to FGW (First Great Western), John.

I had a chat with a very knowledgable member of FGW staff at lunchtime today: the impression I got was that there are problems with catering on FGW.  If passengers do complain, where appropriate, hopefully those problems will be addressed?

I can attest to that

I remember (not knowing at the time) one of FGW management was on a return train and helping out - I complained that there were no sellables on the first trolley anymore and we had to queue with everyone else if we didnt ant anything free.

Very quickly after, the sellables returned.

it may have been a coincidence but I'd like to think someone acted....

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 22:35:56 »

Think some FC(resolve) hosts are agency staff?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 22:37:04 »

Sorry to hear your experience John. I note you say it was pretty crowded, would the Customer Host still  have been able to get the trolley through?

I would hope that once the refurbs for the mini buffet then catering should be back to it's more efficient self.

An example is recently I was on a 2+7 (no buffet) and the set was being used as the 20:35 from Paddington - Plymouth. Granted it was a last minute swap due to a failure of another train, but it's an example of some of the issues created by the buffet refurbishment.

Hopefully some of this post makes sense, if not I'm sure Chris can tell me off.
roganguk

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 22:37:17 »

John - one of my colleagues will be very interested in this when I tell them tomorrow. This is not what FGW (First Great Western) is about! If I get any feedback later, I will let you know
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 23:00:09 »

Definitely worth a complaint I think. I had a vaguely similar experience some while ago where a customer host on a weekend refused me complimentaries on the basis that "you've already had three" - at the time this was a restriction applied to weekend first upgrades, but not first advance tickets which is what I had.

To their great credit, FGW (First Great Western) were extremely gracious when I complained and sent me a voucher for a free first-class return journey.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 23:07:09 »

John - one of my colleagues will be very interested in this when I tell them tomorrow. This is not what FGW (First Great Western) is about! If I get any feedback later, I will let you know

Thanks. In fairness she did pass through again between Bath and Bristol by which stage the train was much quieter (and curiously was still on board after Bristol - very rare), but it was the attitude I didn't like.

In answer to Ollie's question, there wasn't anyone standing in first or the vestibules so she could easily have passed through.

I was expecting someone to ask whether I looked like I might have been a stray from the other side, but I was booted and suited as normal.

Oh, and when she did finally serve me a hot drink it was coffee instead of tea.  I couldn't be bothered by that stage so just took it.   
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 23:14:34 »

Maybe an off day, but still as others have said, write or e-mail Customer Relations.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 11:10:29 »

1630 Padd to Taunton very busy this evening. First class still pretty crowded beyond Taunton with the majority of seats taken.

You say still busy after Taunton when the train terminates there.  Did you mean Reading perhaps  Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 11:43:55 »

Sorry, I meant Swindon, which is my usual joining point. Hope this hasn't invalidated any of the earlier discussions.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 13:53:17 »

Sorry, I meant Swindon, which is my usual joining point. Hope this hasn't invalidated any of the earlier discussions.
I spotted that, but decided to let it go seeing as I know where you join the train.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:56:49 »

John,

If this was a Paddington to Taunton service, why was First Class still crowded BEYOND Taunton?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 12:04:07 »

See the previous couple of posts!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 16:13:00 »

John,

If this was a Paddington to Taunton service, why was First Class still crowded BEYOND Taunton?

Full of staff returning to home depot...?  Cheesy Cheesy

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: