Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:15:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Leadership of the RMT - Bob Crow, succeeded by Mick Cash (ongoing discussion)  (Read 37549 times)
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2014, 07:57:27 »

It is somewhat of an irony that strong left wing union leaders like the late Bob Crow are successful in raising the living standards of their members to a point where many of them lead agreeable middle class lifestyles. I wonder whether this irony ever occurred to him?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:50 »

Indeed.

One of the greatest cost increases in the privatised rail industry has been the wage bill. Sadly, to the detriment of the travelling public.

Competition between TOCs (Train Operating Company) to retain staff after training, has pushed the wage bill up and up. Qualified drivers circa ^47,000 basic. Guards circa ^27,000 basic. Train dispatchers circa ^20,000 basic. Train controller circa ^35,000. Overtime pushes these basic salaries up considerably.

Short franchises of 5-7 years prevent the TOCs from going head to head with the unions over pay and conditions. One short strike and a TOCs small profit margin could be wiped out.There have been above inflation wage rises almost universally for drivers and guards every year since privatisation.

We see strong resistance from the unions against measures to reduce the wage bill, such as further roll-out of DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)).

The rail unions have done very well for their members. I don't think they've helped the passenger or the wider rail business though. Nonetheless, well done to them.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2014, 13:01:39 »

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) are one of the very few Unions with any more than symbolic power these days, and this is chiefly based on the fact that they can virtually bring London to a halt - this has been exploited via TFL (Transport for London) staff more than most and often the mere threat that there may be a strike brings rich rewards (remember the Olympics where Tube Drivers got a bonus simply for turning up for work because it was busy?) and there is a dispute threatened almost every Christmas.

Bob knew this and exploited it at every opportunity for often spurious reasons, he did indeed work wonders for his members, but caused a great deal of unnecessary inconvenience to the travelling public.

RIP anyway notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 14:40:22 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2014, 15:33:37 »

Indeed.

One of the greatest cost increases in the privatised rail industry has been the wage bill. Sadly, to the detriment of the travelling public.

Competition between TOCs (Train Operating Company) to retain staff after training, has pushed the wage bill up and up. Qualified drivers circa ^47,000 basic. Guards circa ^27,000 basic. Train dispatchers circa ^20,000 basic. Train controller circa ^35,000. Overtime pushes these basic salaries up considerably.

Short franchises of 5-7 years prevent the TOCs from going head to head with the unions over pay and conditions. One short strike and a TOCs small profit margin could be wiped out.There have been above inflation wage rises almost universally for drivers and guards every year since privatisation.

We see strong resistance from the unions against measures to reduce the wage bill, such as further roll-out of DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)).

The rail unions have done very well for their members. I don't think they've helped the passenger or the wider rail business though. Nonetheless, well done to them.

Wow, i'm quite surprised at your viewpoint BNM, but each to their own..

We have one of the safest railways in the World - who is that down to ultimately?  Managers and shareholders, or perhaps the staff and ultimately the jobs the unions protect and fight for?  Union subs are not just paid to get pay-rises.. on the contrary I could pull out of a union and still get the same pay-rise.

Does DOO save much once you pay drivers more to operate doors and still have salaries for ticket examiners or losing revenue unless you have barriers at every station - also requiring staff?  It certainly doesn't improve safety, as per previous point.  I'm sure it saves 'some' money, but enough to cause any sort of cut in fares?  I hope we don't have to find out, but i'd wager fares would not decrease.

For the last 2 years, pay has been at inflation levels  (Boris Johnson calls an inflation increase to TfL» (Transport for London - about) fares as a price "freeze", so I guess we've only had a salary "freeze", although i'm sure he'd argue differently).  In the previous 3 years to that, for Guards & West-Drivers at least, above-inflation pay-rises were only part of restructuring terms and conditions, ie. losing some of the terms and conditions that certain people are obsessed about us having - which the company claims need to be cost-neutral in the first place.  I'm not denying, that many could only dream of a RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) increase through the recession, but your statement as far as FGW (First Great Western) is incorrect.

Overtime is a red-herring - it's only paid because a shortage of staff exists in the first place, so salaries/pension/annual leave costs are being offset against the overtime bill.

Short-term franchises are squarely at the foot of successive Government failings.  Having said that, East-Coast haven't had strikes over pay, their staff get paid well and still a nice profit for the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) & taxpayer.

I do wonder how much of RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) and general public-sector union-bashing is down to jealousy, "well if I can't have an above-inflation pay-rise/final salary pension/benefits, then why should you?"

What about the cleaners who just want a living wage?  Those who grumble about strikes, will probably be the first to complain when these low paid workers decide benefits pays better.

Ultimately if all ^million/billion corporations were fair in their dealings with employees, then there would be no need for a RMT, so while I didn't always agree with what Bob said, I think he did more good than harm to the industry he served.

One final question, if all rail staff took a 5 year pay-freeze, do you honestly believe fares would not increase by the same RPI+% measure the Government currently uses?

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2014, 19:17:17 »

Wow, i'm quite surprised at your viewpoint BNM, but each to their own..

We have one of the safest railways in the World - who is that down to ultimately?  Managers and shareholders, or perhaps the staff and ultimately the jobs the unions protect and fight for?  Union subs are not just paid to get pay-rises.. on the contrary I could pull out of a union and still get the same pay-rise.

I put the massive improvement in safety over the last 15 years down to two factors. Firstly, the introduction of TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System), which has dramatically reduced the likelihood of a collision in the event of a lapse of concentration of a driver. Secondly, the abolition of Mk 1 stock and the progressive introduction of newer more crashworthy stock, so when an accident does happen, the consequences are less severe. It's now over 7 1/2 years since the last passenger fatality due to a train accident.

That's not to belittle the efforts that railway staff make to ensure the safety of all of us passengers day in, day out. Although to an extent, that should be a given if they are following the safety procedures that are an integral part of their job. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2014, 20:54:54 »

Compounded over the period since privatisation, drivers and guards salaries have been above inflation.

A driver's salary in 1996 was around ^22,000 fully qualified. For a longer working week than today, but with better staff travel facilities.

Today it is around ^47,000.

^22,000 in 1996 is now ^37,000 adjusted for inflation.

Guards salaries have not risen as much in that period but they've still easily outstripped inflation. As have those in retail, clerical, back office and train control positions.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 16:35:18 »

I knew I made the wrong career choice. Still, too late now.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2014, 19:30:40 »

As widely expected, Mick Cash has been elected leader of the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union.

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Mick Cash elected general secretary of RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) union

Rail, Maritime and Transport Union acting general secretary Mick Cash has been elected its leader following the death of Bob Crow in March.

The 54-year-old, who was Mr Crow's deputy for 12 years, said he was "proud and honoured" to be given the "enormous responsibility".

Mr Cash beat four other candidates to become general secretary of the union.

He has been a member of the RMT, and its predecessor the National Union of Railwaymen, for 35 years.

Mr Cash thanked RMT members for giving him an "overwhelming mandate" and said the union was "in fighting shape".

He said: "I am proud and honoured to have been given the enormous responsibility of now taking our fighting and militant union forwards, six months after the bitter loss to the Labour movement of Bob Crow.

"Let me make this clear. There will be no deviation from the industrial, political and organising strategy mapped out by RMT under Bob's leadership.

"Our fight on pay, jobs, working conditions, pensions and safety continues on every front and in every industry where we organise members."

'United and determined'

Mr Cash, who worked as a railway engineer before becoming a union official, thanked the other candidates for a "comradely and hard-fought campaign".

He added: "RMT stands united and determined in the on-going struggles we are engaged in on London Underground, on the railways, offshore, in the shipping industry and on the roads and buses.

"This union is in fighting shape for the battles that we know lie ahead."

Mr Crow died of a suspected heart attack on 11 March.

He had been elected general secretary of the RMT in 2002 following the death of former leader Jimmy Knapp.

Under his leadership, the RMT's membership increased by more than 20,000 to 80,000.

Earlier on Monday, the RMT announced plans for an overtime ban on the London Underground as part of its campaign against Transport for London plans to close all ticket offices and cut about 900 jobs.

The ban will take effect from a minute past midnight on Wednesday.

Personal comment:

Mr Cash said, "I am proud and honoured to have been given the enormous responsibility of now taking our fighting and militant union forwards..."

Plus ^a change?  Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2014, 20:12:36 »

A driver's salary in 1996 was around ^22,000 fully qualified. For a longer working week than today, but with better staff travel facilities.

Today it is around ^47,000.

^22,000 in 1996 is now ^37,000 adjusted for inflation.

Guards salaries have not risen as much in that period but they've still easily outstripped inflation. As have those in retail, clerical, back office and train control positions.
Not really an accurate comparison I'm afraid.

Drivers used to get paid all kind of out of salary enhancements such as DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) payments, mileage payments etc... these have all been absorbed in to the basic salary. I bet if you looked at a typical driver pay packet including basic pay along with enhancements from 1996 and compared to today (where these enhancements have now been absorbed in to the basic pay) there would not be much difference. In the days of BR (British Rail(ways)) it was impossible for a driver to take home a basic salary because of all the enhancements.

There is a lot of resentment to pay of railway staff, but anyone who thinks that this is the reason for continual ticket price rises are kidding themselves.

Did the price of your train ticket go down when DOO was introduced? No.
Did the price of your train ticket go down when the ticket office was closed/hours reduced? No.

Has a salary or headcount reduction ever led to the full saving being passed on to a customer?

So what about Unions and the bigger picture? The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) and TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) between them are very vocal at ensuring a fair wage for everyone in society. They're also out campaigning alongside other unions for better terms and conditions for teachers, fire crews, nurses etc...

I find it very sad that so many people seem happy to encourage a race to the bottom with pay and conditions. Some people seem to be happy to turn the average working person against each other, not just on the railway but in general. Did you hear about the train driver, cleaner, nurse, teacher, fireman that caused the banking crises/recession? Me neither.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 20:42:11 »

The figures I quoted were take home pay for BR (British Rail(ways)) staff taken from information provided by the Office of National Statistics. Current salaries are averaged from various online sources including recruitment advertisements, union publications and news items.

No online links to the historic salary figures unfortunately. They come through research at the National Archives, Kew.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2014, 00:23:36 »

Personal comment:

Mr Cash said, "I am proud and honoured to have been given the enormous responsibility of now taking our fighting and militant union forwards..."

Plus ^a change?  Roll Eyes

Plus c'est la m^me chose (^crit ^ titre personnel)

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2014, 10:52:01 »

http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/mick-cash-wins-election-for-rmt-general-secretary/

TRANSPORT UNION RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) confirmed this afternoon that Mick Cash has won the election for General Secretary.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:

^I want to thank the membership of RMT for giving me an overwhelming mandate as the newly elected General Secretary. I am proud and honoured to have been given the enormous responsibility of now taking our fighting and militant union forwards, six months after the bitter loss to the Labour Movement of Bob Crow.

^Let me make this clear. There will be no deviation from the industrial, political and organising strategy mapped out by RMT under Bob^s leadership. Our fight on pay, jobs, working conditions, pensions and safety continues on every front and in every industry where we organise members.

^I want to thank the other four candidates for what has been a comradely and hard-fought campaign that has engaged RMT members the length and breadth of the country.  RMT stands united and determined in the on-going struggles we are engaged in on London Underground, on the railways, offshore, in the shipping industry and on the roads and buses. This union is in fighting shape for the battles that we know lie ahead.^
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2014, 12:11:12 »

For the last 2 years, pay has been at inflation levels

Above, but only slightly. At least +0.5% and possibly slightly more. One reason why the RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))+1% was introduced, to cover the above inflation increases. With these RPI% fare increases, the Government are losing out on increasing their stated aim of the passenger increasing their contribution to covering the cost of running the railway....
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2014, 17:46:40 »

For the last 2 years, pay has been at inflation levels

Above, but only slightly. At least +0.5% and possibly slightly more. One reason why the RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))+1% was introduced, to cover the above inflation increases. With these RPI% fare increases, the Government are losing out on increasing their stated aim of the passenger increasing their contribution to covering the cost of running the railway....

Good grief, why let the facts get in the way?  The last 2 year increases have been RPI FIXED.  The fact that the company agree a deal which uses FEB RPI and the fares are based on JULY RPI is not the fault of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)/ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) or any other union. 

2014 increase 2.7% (Feb 2014 RPI).  (July RPI = 2.5%)
2013 increase 3.2% (Feb 2013 RPI).  (July RPI = 3.1%)

0.5% or possibly slightly more.

So that's 0.2% more this year and 0.1% more for 2013.

Any increase over this will be down to a restructuring deal, which as FGW (First Great Western) tell us, has to be "cost neutral".

You can argue until kingdom come whether or not any increase is justified, but at least do us the decency to get the figures correct first.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2014, 21:38:49 »

Ok, accept that maybe FGW (First Great Western) struck a better deal fir their oublic support than some others I can think of....

But how many get rises based on RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) (rather than CPI inflation) these days? The railway still doing far better than most. And fares or taxes (ie us) paying for it...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: