Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:07:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Major delays at Cardiff today - line incident, 9 December 2009  (Read 14028 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 15:53:22 »

Still think cow catchers would have been the better idea!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 18:05:03 »

A further update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Four arrested after quad bike deaths on Cardiff railway

Four people have been arrested after two men believed to be fleeing the scene of a burglary were killed when a quad bike was hit by a train.

The men, three in their 20s and one 34, were arrested following a ^40,000 raid at an outdoor pursuits store on Newport Road, Cardiff, on Wednesday.

Two other men believed to be making their getaway were killed when the quad bike was struck on tracks at Rumney. They have been named as Trevor Davies, 20, and David Cooper, 24, of Rumney.

Officers believe the arrested men may be connected to the incident. South Wales Police said they were being detained at Cardiff Bay police station.

Officers have confirmed that one quad bike was stolen. The other quad bike remains unidentified.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 18:06:06 »

Apparently ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) 158886

I don't think you will find there is any such 158. Not with ATW anyway...

Trundling gently round the SW
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 18:09:18 »

824 in fact.
dmutony

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 18:51:37 »

Apparently ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) 158886

158886 is currently run by SWT (South West Trains)

Edit note: Post amended to clarify quote marks. CfN.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 23:53:07 by chris from nailsea » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 14:56:39 »

An update on this incident, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Two charged after Cardiff railway line quad bike deaths

Two men will appear in court to face charges following a raid on Cardiff outdoor clothing shop, after which two others died on quad bikes.

Trevor Davies, 20, and David Cooper, 24, were killed during an apparent attempt to flee the scene.

The quad bikes were hit by an empty passenger train near Newport Road.

Two men, aged 23 and 21, will appear before Cardiff magistrates next Tuesday, charged with burglary and endangering lives on a railway.

There are accused of stealing ^40,000 worth of jackets from the Go Outdoors site last December.

Following the raid, quad bikes carrying Mr Davies and Mr Cooper were struck by an empty passenger train on nearby rail tracks.

Another two men who had been arrested and bailed as part of the investigation have been told no further action will be taken against them.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 19:53:59 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Cardiff quad bike deaths 'accidental'

Verdicts of accidental death have been recorded on two men struck by a train while riding a quad bike on the main Cardiff to London railway line.

Trevor Davies, 20, and David Cooper, 24, of Rumney, Cardiff, died in the early hours of 9 December last year.

Their deaths followed a ^40,000 burglary at Cardiff's Go Outdoors store after which two men were charged.

The inquest in Cardiff heard Mr Davies' and Mr Cooper's quad bike was almost ripped in two in the 70mph collision.

Their bodies were later found by paramedics down the line from the clothing warehouse outlet in Newport Road, which was targeted in the raid and which is next to the railway.

CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) showed four men leaving the scene on two quad bikes through a fence and onto the railway line.

Liam Xeureb, 22, and Anthony Thomas, 23, both of Cardiff, were charged with burglary and endangering safety on the railways.

Both deny all charges and are due to stand trial later this month.

The two men were questioned by Cardiff coroner Mary Hassall during the jury inquest but both refused to reply, claiming their right not to answer her questions on the grounds that they might incriminate themselves.

"My concern is not a burglary or potential burglary or any matters relating to criminal prosecution," she told both men individually.

"My concern is how David and Trevor came by their deaths. Can you tell me how you know David and Trevor?" the coroner asked.

However both answered: "I have been advised to say nothing at this moment in time so I will not be answering any questions."

The inquest jury, of eight women and two men, returned their verdicts after hearing lengthy evidence regarding the findings of the investigation into both deaths.

The jury heard that the driver of the train which hit the pair had not seen them, and that as the bikes would have been noisy, it would have been impossible for them to hear the train until it was upon them.

The coroner's court also heard that there was a considerable risk of the collision derailing the train and endangering the crew.

The inquest was told that two other men then tried to raise the alarm with nearby residents saying that their friends had been killed.

One in particular was described as "frantic".

They showed paramedics to the scene but when the paramedics reached them, they could find no signs of life.

Shortly after that, the two other men had left the scene.

Post mortem examinations on the recovered bodies showed that Mr Cooper died of head injuries and Mr Davies died from multiple injuries.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 21:48:35 »

Update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Pair jailed for Cardiff fatal quad bike burglary

Two burglars have been jailed for three years at Cardiff Crown Court for a raid which left two of their gang dead after being hit by a train.

Liam Xuereb, 22, and Anthony Thomas, 23, and two friends stole ^7,500 of ski jackets from a store in Cardiff last December.

They used two quad bikes to escape along a railway line but Trevor Davies, 20, and David Cooper, 24, were killed.

Xuereb and Thomas had admitted burglary.

Prosecutor Julian Greenwood told the court how the four men, on quad bikes, were caught on CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) cutting a hole in the back fence of the Go Outdoors store's compound.

"Once inside they grabbed rails full of jackets and clothing and loaded them onto the bikes," he said. "They were escaping along a railway track when there was a collision with a train."

The court heard the train was an unscheduled locomotive travelling at 68 mph on the London Paddington to Swansea line.

Mr Greenwood said: "The driver Graham Sparshott remembers a flash of white light and a massive jolt as the train lifted itself off rhe tracks. He stopped and radioed for help. The police arrived and found Davies' and Cooper's bodies in undergrowth next to the line."

An inquest jury returned verdicts of accidental death on Davies and Cooper earlier this year.

The court heard the four friends from Llanrumney, Cardiff, planned to make "easy money" by selling the stolen jackets in the run up to Christmas 2009.

The train driver is still on stress-related sick leave nearly a year after the incident on the main Cardiff to London rail track.

Xuereb and Thomas pleaded guilty to burglary and endangering the safety of rail passengers at an earlier hearing.

Judge Patrick Curran QC told them: "The two young men killed were your close friends. The dangerousness of your conduct was demonstrated by the loss of their lives."

Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 09:36:01 »

As my computer is a piece of junk and will not let me highlight parts of the above quote Angry
Since when is an 158 a locomotive?Huh?
And most important, yes the driver is STILL on the SICK
Thanks Chavs for ruining a colleagues life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could have been me!

PS The thread on this subject on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) is quite amusing Wink

Edited due to spelling mistake Shocked
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:23:27 by Toiletdriver » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 09:58:21 »

Poor driver is what I thought too.  Hope he/she can move forward with their life soon even if that means leaving the rail industry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: