Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:28:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Passengers injured as bus toppled by railway tracks (16 December 2009)  (Read 2615 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 16, 2009, 17:28:05 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Three people were seriously injured when a double-decker bus crashed on to its side after colliding with a lorry carrying rail tracks in London.

Fire crews had to cut three passengers out of the bus after the metal tracks smashed through its windows in Battersea at about 0830 GMT. The driver of the C3 bus was among those seriously hurt. Another 12 people were treated for minor injuries.

The lorry driver has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.

About 30 passengers were on the bus when it crashed at the junction of Plough Road and St John's Hill.

Eyewitnesses said the sections of railway track were protruding over the front of the lorry as it emerged from a junction on to the main road.

Investment banker Rory Withfield, 31, who was on board, said: "I was standing near the front of the bus when I saw the truck approaching. It was carrying metal pylons which struck the bus and were ripping the side of it."

He said the driver appeared disorientated and the bus then mounted the pavement and toppled over.

Describing the moment the vehicle crashed on its side, Mr Withfield said: "It was leaning over and then it seemed to fall in slow motion. People were screaming and everyone's bags were falling down one side. After it fell over everything was quiet as everyone had realised what had happened."

He continued: "There were one or two people trying to help the rest. The driver seemed unconscious but he came to. We were stuck in there until the emergency services arrived."

Billy Song, 29, an operations manager who lives nearby, saw the crash. He said: "I heard a bang and saw the bus knocked down. Metal poles were all over the ground."

Mr Song added: "People ran to give some help and I called 999. I saw a passenger on the top deck very clearly and he looked injured."

London Ambulance Service spokesman said: "Fifteen patients were treated at the scene and transported to hospital. Three patients were taken as a priority - a 27-year-old woman and a 30-year-old to St George's Hospital, and a 45-year-old man to Chelsea and Westminster. Twelve patients were transported to hospital with minor injuries - six to Chelsea and Westminster, four to St Thomas' and two to Charing Cross."

The driver's injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Insp Dave Toms-Sheridan, of the Metropolitan Police's collision unit, called the crash "dramatic". He told the BBC: "The rails from the lorry have hit the side of the bus with such force, it has sent the bus on to its side. Anybody sitting on that bus this morning would have been in a very frightening situation - we are fortunate injuries aren't far more serious."

The road is cordoned off and police told motorists to use other routes.

A Transport for London spokesman said: "The police and emergency services are attending the scene and we are working closely with them. There will be a full investigation into this incident."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 20:16:41 »

I am absolutely flabbergasted at the sheer stupidity of the driver of the lorry. Looking at the pictures submitted to the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), (http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8416000/8416246.stm) it is totally the wrong sort of vehicle to be transporting a load of that length. A couple of poorly placed warning triangles certainly don't make the load acceptable. 

I hope the book is thrown at the haulage firm responsible.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 00:22:26 »

I hope the book is thrown at the haulage firm responsible.

Saw it on London news looked quite horrendous. Rails just seem to have been laid any how over lapping cab and rear of lorry without any fastenings or warning flags I could see.

If it hadn't have been this am you might have thought the crane driver was drunk when the rails were loaded.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: