Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:11:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[80] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[59] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[44] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[34] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[32] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Station - improvements, incidents and events (merged topic)  (Read 254939 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2014, 18:09:59 »

There won't be as many terminating trains as now if they join EWR services with existing FGW (First Great Western) terminating services across Oxford (as planned).   It is quite possible that with through trains using the new west side loop platform the existing down platform will be able to deal with reversals OK.  Hasn't this been discussed earlier in the thread?

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2014, 19:43:58 »

I wonder - that "masterplan" diagram should reflect a plan of the structure and track that was given to the arstist(s).

What it shows is both platforms extended over Botley Road, and in both cases there's a track (and presumably platform face) on the outer side too. Both also have a hole in them over the bridge, the significance of which is that there has to be a separate single-track bridge each side of the main bridge, and the platform doesn't fully span the gap across the bridge. (No, I don't understand why either.) 

There is also a separate platform for the short track to the east.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2014, 12:11:19 »

Certainly a far more ambitious project that I would have expected a couple of years ago when the redevelopment was first announced.  A mini-Reading in many ways with a similar style 'transfer deck' and areas formerly used for buses being turned into public squares at the front of the station, and a new proper west end entrance is added.  The extra through platform being confirmed is excellent news and it appears the ambition to extend the current Platform 3 (and the new Chiltern bay platform) will be realised following the demolition of the current concourse.  I'm assuming that all three through platforms will be bi-directional as per previous plans.

On the west side of the station, Roger Dudman Way, the strangest street I know, getting spliced into Cripley Road is a good idea as that creates room for all the new staff buildings and western entrance.  In some ways it's a shame the Youth Hostel has to go as it was only built 20 years ago - it's not clear, but perhaps it will be rebuilt into one of the three commercial development blocks in the masterplan diagram?

The bus interchange on Becket Street taking up part of the current car park is an interesting idea, though it's not clear how many buses that currently use Gloucester Green will migrate to this new facility - it should be remembered that the Railway Station is not situated in the City Centre, so some routes might be better off avoiding the station and serving the city instead.  As usual the CGI (Computer-generated imagery) video has a very sparse number of buses, cars and pedestrians compared with what will eventually be the reality!

The extra level on top of the transfer deck will be the first thing to go if money needs to be saved I'd have thought.  Let's hope that this ambitious plan goes through all the various hurdles quickly and gets built as soon as possible.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2014, 12:25:34 »

I agree with II in general. However I do not think the promotors would describe the existing presentation as a "master plan". It is, I believe, their ideas of what the final project should look like and include. Looking at the internet presentation, it left a lot of question marks in my mind and I therefore hope to attend one of the consulation meeings to be held next Friday and Saturday at the Westgate shopping centre where I hope a little more detail may be available.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2014, 15:04:12 »

I think it's an exhibition & Q&A with staff rather than a meeting as such, and hopefully more detail....

It is a consultation, so things I'm sure can & will change. The YHA is under compulsory purchase, so they will need to be found a home or it'll cost a lot of money that could otherwise be spent on the scheme.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2015, 18:02:36 »

From the Oxford Mail:

A MULTI-MILLION-POUND expansion of Oxford station is planned in order to create a rail link to challenge the A34.

Network Rail has submitted plans to Oxford City Council that would see longer platforms built to allow Chiltern Railways^ extended trains to stop there.

It is forecast that 3.3 million more passengers will pass through the station each year by 2026 compared to 2011.

The Chiltern trains would have nine carriages instead of four to cope with the extra demand, and would run from Bicester, Banbury and the new Oxford Parkway station in Water Eaton to London Marylebone.

The extended platforms at Oxford would allow the new extended trains to stop there and create a direct link from Didcot to Bicester.

City council leader Bob Price said: ^We are extremely happy at the way in which railway improvements will make it easier to get to London and the way in which they put Oxford at the centre of the rail network. I think it will have some effect on congestion and we certainly welcome that. It will ease pressure on Woodstock Road, Banbury Road and so on. Rail investment is really important for tourism and for the business economy because all the research shows that railways are vital in improving the attractiveness of Oxford."

Network Rail would not reveal the cost of the expansion project but a similar scheme approved in October 2010 but never implemented would have cost about ^12.5 million.

The company^s planning statement for the scheme said: ^East West Rail [a wider project to link East and South West England] will enable half a million new rail trips, and provide a direct Didcot-Oxford-Bicester link to rival the A34.^

Rail user^s group Railfuture, which campaigns for better train services, said the scheme would not just benefit people who use trains regularly.

Thames Valley representative Andrew McCallum, from Banbury, said: ^I would like to see the dominance of the A34 challenged. The congestion is getting chronic and something needs to be done. This is not the whole solution but it is a big part of it. The trains could keep going down to Didcot and even the South Coast. It will benefit those who use the train, those who will still have to use the roads and those who currently use the roads but will be able to take the train.^

The project would also see the one-storey staff accommodation block beside the station demolished and a temporary two-storey building built in its place.

Network Rail said it could be there for up to ten years as part of the station masterplan if that scheme goes ahead.

The masterplan, supported by the city council, Oxfordshire County Council, and First Great Western, would see ^75m spent to redevelop the station.

The platform extensions are not officially part of the scheme but would be the first stage of redevelopment of the station.

Susanna Pressel, city councillor for Jericho and Osney ward which contains the station, said the plans for a temporary accommodation block concerned her.

She said: ^I share the concern of some residents who would be seriously affected by these proposals. I have seen their tiny back gardens and I hope it will not be necessary to put a new two-storey building right up against them. This would cause them to lose a lot of sunlight. We need to make sure that anything that is built does not cause more noise pollution or light pollution.^

A consultation will run until Monday, February 16, and the city council will be asked to decide whether to approve the scheme by March 9.

Oxfordshire County Council cabinet member for transport David Nimmo Smith said: ^The changes planned at Oxford station are welcome. It is already a very busy railway station and there is more passenger and freight traffic to come in future years. The extra capacity that is planned is very timely and I look forward to seeing work getting under way. It is important that local people are able to see that there are positive plans in place for the future.^

Details of the planning application submitted by Network Rail can be found at Oxford City Council's website planning portal. The application reference is 15/00096/PA11.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 18:09:49 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2015, 19:27:32 »

Would this be better added to the existing thread at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=593.0
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2015, 19:59:34 »

I'm not sure what this is about:
The Chiltern trains would have nine carriages instead of four to cope with the extra demand, and would run from Bicester, Banbury and the new Oxford Parkway station in Water Eaton to London Marylebone.

The extended platforms at Oxford would allow the new extended trains to stop there and create a direct link from Didcot to Bicester.

The report does say that this "application" is only for the building, not the track and platforms, but planning authority approval is required for new bridges. There is no new bridge here, so the track has to fit into the existing one, and the platforms in any case within the railway boundary. So the new platform "4"  will be only 4 or 5 cars long, and P3 can't really be any longer than it is. That is what the plans show (though they do not extend to the end of P3).

And why would a direct service through to Didcot, which isn't envisaged until East-West Rail anyway, need these new bay platforms?

All rather confused. And as for this:
Network Rail said it could be there for up to ten years as part of the station masterplan if that scheme goes ahead.

The masterplan, supported by the city council, Oxfordshire County Council, and First Great Western, would see ^75m spent to redevelop the station.

The platform extensions are not officially part of the scheme but would be the first stage of redevelopment of the station.

Surely this first step is really a stop-gap, and will all be redone come the big remodelling. Obviously the building is temporary as it will not be part of the masterplan, not because it is.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2015, 22:54:03 »

So the new platform "4"  will be only 4 or 5 cars long, and P3 can't really be any longer than it is. That is what the plans show (though they do not extend to the end of P3).
That's not quite right - the track's being extended at the other end, by nearly 40 m. So P3 could reach nearly 180 m, but with the required gap behind the buffers that's barely 8x23 m car lengths. And "P4" looks like about 150 m, less the gap.

In any case, what trains are Chiltern likely to come up with in the next 10 years?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2015, 23:57:36 »

Chiltern have already organised the 9 x 2 car 170s from TPE (Trans Pennine Express) that will apparently be converted to 168 standard, AIUI (as I understand it) they get the first 5 in a few months time.

Rumour is that all of Scotrail's 170s also come up for grabs next year, (less those already moving to Southern in July).

Paul
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2015, 01:21:04 »

Chiltern have already organised the 9 x 2 car 170s from TPE (Trans Pennine Express) that will apparently be converted to 168 standard, AIUI (as I understand it) they get the first 5 in a few months time.

Rumour is that all of Scotrail's 170s also come up for grabs next year, (less those already moving to Southern in July).

Paul
It's not quite next year. The Scotrail class 170s will be released when the shortened High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train))s take over their duties, and electric  Glasgow-Edinburgh services commence. And the High Speed Train (HST)s won't be released until the Intercity Express Programme (IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.))s start services.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 15:58:49 by VickiS » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2015, 10:40:31 »

Would this be better added to the existing thread at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=593.0

A good suggestion, ellendune - I've now moved and merged both discussions here.  CfN.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2015, 15:58:21 »

In any case, what trains are Chiltern likely to come up with in the next 10 years?

I guess what I really meant was: what train/unit lengths could be put onto the route, if the demand is there?

A few existing platform lengths:
P3: 142 m (TPR (The Pensions Regulator)) or 106 m (Sectional appendix)
"P4" (Dock) 68m (TPR only)
Parcel Dock (to be removed) 45 m (TPR only).

By the way, are the old parcels vans in the Parcel or East Dock (if they are still there) going to a good home?

Looking at the milestones set out in the CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) Enhancements Delivery Plan, there is not a lot of time for this work. Noting that:
As stated above, it is proposed to deliver East West Rail in two phases:
Phase 1, between Bicester and Oxford, will deliver both the infrastructure required for
Chiltern^s Evergreen services to London and the incremental works required for the later
introduction of East West Rail services.
  under East West Rail Phase 1 (Oxford only), we find:

MilestoneDescriptionDateStatus
Oxford GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 3 completion   Single option selectionSeptember 2014   Complete
Oxford GRIP 4 completionSingle option scope defined  January 2015Indicator
Oxford GRIP 6 startStart on siteSeptember 2015Indicator
Oxford GRIP 6 completionInfrastructure ready for use  March 2016Regulated Output

The first two have been met. Given the time left, you can understand that the option chosen was close to "do minimum" to run trains. The canopy design and manufacture can presumably be cloned from elsewhere (perhaps Reading).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 17:34:45 by stuving » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2015, 17:25:20 »

Don't forget that pl 3 will become a new through up platform before either Chiltern or East West can readily reach Cowley/Didcot/Heathrow/Swindon.

There maybe paths to get the odd train off East/West onto Oxford current Up platform, but there aren't sufficient to run a regular timetable, especially in the down direction where they will block all lines north of Oxford to get across to East West.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:51 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):
Vote launched to help decide revamped Oxford station design

Members of the public can vote for which Oxford Station design they would like to see

Designs for a revamp of Oxford station have been unveiled and the public will be able to vote for their favourites.

They show ideas for an estimated ^125m redevelopment of the train station and regeneration of the surrounding area.

Six architects were asked to submit designs as part of a competition backed by the city and county councils.

City council regeneration director David Edwards said an expert judging panel would also have a say before the final design is unveiled.

Members of the public can vote from Friday by visiting Oxford City Council's website.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: