I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:11:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Station - improvements, incidents and events (merged topic)  (Read 254843 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2018, 10:34:12 »

More traffic in the summer?

Even with the increase in tourists (usually coached in and out though), the level of traffic drops in & around Oxford in the summer. No universities, schools to work at neither school runs.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2019, 11:22:31 »

I have heard that Network Rail have recently (Dec 2018) been in discussion with Oxford City Council about replacing the Botley Road bridge in 2019. When I asked my source whether this meant applying for planning permission in 2019 or actually replace the bridge in 2019 they were adamant that it was replacement and not just the application. Apparently they are planning to dig a deeper road so I assume they want a wider bridge so that they can add additional platforms to Oxford station.

This is good news for users of Oxford station, but I am deeply sceptical that it is possible to replace the bridge this year given the fact that the replacement bridge probably hasn’t been built and the amount of consultation that will required given the amount of disruption this will cause in Oxford. For those not familiar with Oxford replacing this bridge effectively cuts off west Oxford from the city centre without any obvious way to mitigate the closure.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2019, 11:28:55 »

For those not familiar with Oxford replacing this bridge effectively cuts off west Oxford from the city centre without any obvious way to mitigate the closure.
But replacing it with a wider bridge (both to road traffic and to rail) which is what Oxford City Council (OCC) want, would by the same count have tremendous benefits for road users.

I am sceptical that any such project could take place in summer 2019.  There would be a huge amount of preparatory work to minimise the duration of the road closure.  Starting in 2019 for a closure in 2020 would seem much more likely. 

One abutment would need widening and the other rebuilt completely in a new position further south. The road improvements underneath could then take place after the replacement bridge deck is in place with the new lower alignment built one side at a time.  A Christmas 2019 replacement would be possible. 

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 16:31:39 by VickiS » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2019, 12:03:29 »

I'd be amazed if it was replaced in 2019, though fairly advanced plans are in place.  I believe the Westgate Hotel and a couple of other smaller old railway buildings will be demolished in order that the bridge can prepared on site to be slid into place to reduce the length of the disruption.  Part of the Youth Hostel will go in order to provide the extra platform.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2019, 13:05:42 »

I believe the Westgate Hotel and a couple of other smaller old railway buildings will be demolished in order that the bridge can prepared on site to be slid into place to reduce the length of the disruption.  Part of the Youth Hostel will go in order to provide the extra platform.

In that case 2019 seems a non starter.  Even if the Youth Hostel does not need doing just to do the bridge. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2019, 13:39:50 »

Indeed, though perhaps the Westgate Hotel will be demolished this year?  I see the little corner shop that was attached to it closed a few months ago.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2019, 14:52:03 »

Indeed, though perhaps the Westgate Hotel will be demolished this year? 
Its website suggests it it still trading with no hint of closure.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2019, 14:53:20 »

It's such a major project that it would need funds allocated to it from CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) well in advance, and this hasn't yet been done. Unless OCC are paying 100% for it, but I can't see that happening. But yes, that wouldn't have been first discussions - it's been talked about for over a year now.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2019, 16:39:20 »

Sounds like a long Christmas break job to me, I hope the team that made such a good job at Caversham Road Reading are still around to deliver!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2019, 19:35:35 »

I hope it doesn't turn into another Cow Lane Reading affair. Just dig a bit out one side at a time. Cycled through yesterday and they still have a lot of work to do.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2019, 20:09:30 »

If the road here is to be dug down further do you think it would require a sump for water collection similar to the Vastern Road bridge at Reading?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2019, 22:48:02 »

If the road here is to be dug down further do you think it would require a sump for water collection similar to the Vastern Road bridge at Reading?

It will as I think its as near to the river than Vastern Road Bridge
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2019, 10:44:19 »

It will as I think its as near to the river than Vastern Road Bridge

That's not how it works, is it? If anything the opposite: assuming the watercourse you want to put the water into is below the drain invert under your bridge, if it's close then gravity may suffice but if it's further you may need to install pumps. Also, if the local road drains are higher, then even if a steady fall would be possible you would need to lay a new drain - and the cost of that might still be more than for using pumps. And of course it's the pumps that matter, and the reason for needing a sump. You may remember that this came up in the discussion of the bridge at Gypsy Patch Lane in Bristol a little while ago...

Of course if your local river is likely to be above your road level, and at a probability high enough that you have to cope with it (there's always a level above which you accept defeat), distance doesn't matter. The Environment Agency puts Vastern Road (most of it - not just under the bridge - and Caversham Road likewise) in their lilac flood risk band: 0.5% to 1.33% risk per year. This small area near the roundabout between the railway bridge and Reading Bridge should at least be getting plenty of thought in the current flood relief planning process - it contains Thames Water's head office and the local headquarters of the Environment Agency, both sites liable to flooding.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2019, 19:34:45 »

Sorry I wasn't very precise in my description.

What I meant was that both sites are near to rivers that flood, that is near both horizontally and vertically. Indeed I suspect that Oxford is nearer the river level than Vastern Road. What I meant was that there was no way it could drain by gravity into the river and possible not into the sewer. 

So yes you do need a sump in those cases because the only way you are going to be able to get rid of the water is to pump it out! I assumed that Reading General's use of the term sump was referring to the wet well of a pumping station. 

Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2019, 22:06:20 »

Yes. The Vastern Road bridge has a large sump underneath for floodwater to collect in heavy rainfall as it's below the water table (also below the river level) the water is then pumped away. The service entrance to the pumps can be seen in the middle of the roundabout to the south of the bridge. Last year at some point the pumps failed and the road way was completely impassable in both directions, so it is definitely needed. The Botley Road already appears to be below the river level as it runs under the railway now and the Osney area between the city centre and Botley is clearly marshland as the Thames runs across this land in several courses. I always thought to myself that digging down any further here would be taking it to extremes. Not so much what happens when water courses burst banks but drainage of water on marshy land.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: