Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:58:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Station - improvements, incidents and events (merged topic)  (Read 254791 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2019, 12:32:12 »

New PIS (Passenger Information System) going in at Oxford today - the white-on-black screens seen at other GWR (Great Western Railway) stations, with train formation graphics. The departure boards and (newer) displays on the Chiltern platforms appears to be unchanged.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2019, 15:02:36 »

Does anyone know when the entrance/exit from P1 and p2 are going to open? It seems to have been taking a very long time.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2019, 09:01:08 »

Does anyone know when the entrance/exit from P1 and p2 are going to open? It seems to have been taking a very long time.

I can answer my own question as the new entrance/exit from P1, P2 and P3 was open this morning (16th December).
Hopefully this will cause less overcrowding on P3, although extra platforms (and electric trains) are still required.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:51:32 by ray951 » Logged
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2019, 09:27:05 »

Plus extra toilets 😁
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2019, 10:03:28 »

I can answer my own question as the new entrance/exit from P1, P2 and P3 was open this morning (16th October).

Should that read December? Or has this post taken two months to get through the system?  Grin
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2019, 10:57:00 »

Plus extra toilets 😁

Just facilities full stop. There are no waiting rooms, refreshments, toilets, etc. on P1, P2 or P3, you have to go back through the ticket gates to find any useful facilities.

If Oxford could have just a fraction of the money spent on Crossrail stations it would be fantastic, maybe they should rename it London Oxford:-)
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2019, 10:58:21 »

I can answer my own question as the new entrance/exit from P1, P2 and P3 was open this morning (16th October).

Should that read December? Or has this post taken two months to get through the system?  Grin

Of course December, but even if the post had taken 2 months that is much quicker than the years it has taken to finally open these ticket gates.  Smiley
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2019, 11:32:23 »

I missed your original post, ray951 - but, yes, a target date of this year was planned and achieved today.  The gateline (which I believe came from surplus stock from Gatwick) took a while to arrive, but once it did it was a very quick process to get it installed and opened.  Will make a massive difference to queuing and congestion along platform 3 and in the concourse, but a proper redevelopment of the station can't come soon enough!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2019, 22:50:37 »

Following on from previous posts - is Oxford Station the most inadequate station for a town of its size in the country?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2019, 22:53:50 »

Following on from previous posts - is Oxford Station the most inadequate station for a town of its size in the country?

It certainly was before the new station building was built in the early 90s.  I remember thinking it was massive when I first walked inside the new concourse, but a huge increase in users makes it now look very inadequate again!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2019, 09:03:43 »

As someone who travels through Oxford every day the answer has to be yes, although this is of course completely anecdotal.

There aren't enough platforms and the space on those platforms is extremely limited and as mentioned above there are very few facilities on the platform side of the station.

Although I will add that there has been a reduction in delays since making P4 reversible, especially to 'Up' services.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2019, 09:27:03 »

I always wonder why Oxford station has never really been up to the job. Didcot is the size and type of station that Oxford needs but it has an equivalent of Prince’s Risborough instead. The space available for expansion is tight, so I’ve always wondered whether relocation to the south of Botley Road is the answer to Oxford’s capacity problems.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2019, 09:29:19 »

I always wonder why Oxford station has never really been up to the job. Didcot is the size and type of station that Oxford needs but it has an equivalent of Prince’s Risborough instead. The space available for expansion is tight, so I’ve always wondered whether relocation to the south of Botley Road is the answer to Oxford’s capacity problems.

I thought the masterplan produced a couple of years ago produced the right size of station without relocating it. Is there that much more space south of Botley Road or does it just look larger because it has not got a station on it? 

Edit:

The space at the North end of the station could be better used if it was possible to replace the deck of the Castle Stream bridge with an orthogonal deck so the tracks could be as close together as they are at the south of the station. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:37:39 by ellendune » Logged
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2019, 12:37:58 »

The antipathy of Oxford City authorities, and for a longer period the University in the 19th century to railways has had a long-lasting effect. All of the main stations through the years have been too small and cramped, and took years to get settled sites. The first terminus at Grandpont was a wooden structure, but maybe there was always a thought it would be replaced. The current station site at first just had two short platforms, ticket office, parcel office and waiting rooms for first and second class passengers only. The original overall Brunel roof didn't survive into the 20th century with the decaying buildings finally demolished in 1972 replaced by little more than a collection of prefabricated sheds.

Modern dithering has been over the potential move to Oxpens (on and off at least twice I think) and the awkward issues on the present area relating to the height of the Botley Road and relocation of the youth hostel that has said it will “resist moving as long as possible”. Since it is apparently the top-rated YHA facility in the country I suppose that isn't a surprise.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2019, 12:50:07 »

There was no shortage of people warning Railtrack at the time (2001) that allowing the youth hostel to be built there would eventually bite them on the... station approach.

(The YHA's behaviour was fairly galling at the time, too - they paid to hang a vintage punt from the roof in the hostel at the same time as they were closing swathes of the rural hostel network.)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: