Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:41:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[87] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[72] Return of the BRUTE?
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Station - improvements, incidents and events (merged topic)  (Read 254878 times)
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2021, 09:00:29 »

Good news and looks like it is finally happening, Oxford Station is to be expanded. Smiley
https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/boost-to-oxford-rail-travel-following-gbp-69m-funding-confirmation

New Western Entrance
New platform
Extra Tracks

No mention of electrification but look at the artists impression.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2021, 09:13:00 »

Now, hold on there ... what has been announced (and I can't find it from DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) is:
The funding will progress the next stage of development work ...
and then ...
As part of the plans the road network will also be improved near to the station as Botley Road bridge will be replaced and the road lowered to enable standard double-decker buses to pass underneath for the first time. As part of the new design, a four-metre wide cycle/footpath will also be installed on each side to encourage sustainable transport and improve safety.
Early consultations about the proposals have taken place with local residents ahead of the plans being formally submitted to Oxford City Council. Further funding is required for the full implementation of the scheme and the Full Business Case for the project will be submitted to DfT later this year, with a decision on final funding expected in spring 2022.

But it is a big step along the way.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2021, 09:18:15 »

That deepened road bridge is going to need a reliable set of pumps for when the Isis tops her banks.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2021, 09:19:30 »

Now, hold on there ... what has been announced (and I can't find it from DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) is:
The funding will progress the next stage of development work ...
and then ...
As part of the plans the road network will also be improved near to the station as Botley Road bridge will be replaced and the road lowered to enable standard double-decker buses to pass underneath for the first time. As part of the new design, a four-metre wide cycle/footpath will also be installed on each side to encourage sustainable transport and improve safety.
Early consultations about the proposals have taken place with local residents ahead of the plans being formally submitted to Oxford City Council. Further funding is required for the full implementation of the scheme and the Full Business Case for the project will be submitted to DfT later this year, with a decision on final funding expected in spring 2022.

But it is a big step along the way.
Sorry I was so surprised by the annoucement that I missed that  Wink

But also it says 'Botley Road bridge will be replaced and the road lowered to enable standard double-decker buses to pass underneath for the first time' but last time I looked standard double-decker buses already go under the bridge.
And there is already a western entrance although it is only open during peak hours.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2021, 09:35:11 »

But also it says 'Botley Road bridge will be replaced and the road lowered to enable standard double-decker buses to pass underneath for the first time' but last time I looked standard double-decker buses already go under the bridge.

There's several standard heights for buses. Two of the commonest are "full" at 4.4 m and "low" at 4.2 m. The bridge is plated at 4.0 m (13'0"), so what goes under it now must be an even lower sort of standard.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:38 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) version of this announcement doesn’t even mention the word Oxford. For some reason they are spinning it as a Southampton to Midlands freight solution.  Huh

“…and £69 million of improvements to increase freight capacity between the Port of Southampton and the Midlands will boost economic growth.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/401-million-investment-into-upgrades-to-deliver-brighter-rail-future

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2021, 23:27:06 »

This is an unusually long-running thread on the same topic, and there are some previous plans for the station rebuild in it. There was a public engagement exercise earlier this year, presenting the latest version of what Network Rail think they are going to do. It looks as if today's announcement does start that Phase 2 programme as described there, even if the postal order sent to NR» (Network Rail - home page) will need to be followed by some much bigger ones.

There is a presentation as a PDF, and a video of it as given at the "virtual public meeting".
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2021, 20:06:35 »

And, for those who think there's a problem with finding a suitable road profile under the new bridge and into Frideswide Square, here's how that was done. Could it have been done just as easily by drawing it on paper (real or virtual)? I imagine so, but that wouldn't have made a video, would it?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 02, 2021, 10:39:37 »

The Oxford Rail Corridor study has been published, at least in part on the Network Rail Site. Press release here and summary here and more detail here. Have to wonder though if it has been overtaken by recent events since much of the background appears to be based on the situation in and foreseen from 2018.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2022, 19:00:06 »

The Transport for Works Order is expected to be signed off before the summer & application to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for funding soon after..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2022, 17:50:33 »

The Transport for Works Order is expected to be signed off before the summer & application to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for funding soon after..

Announced that Kier has won the contract for that (GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 5) part of the project:

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/kier-wins-enabling-works-on-oxford-station-upgrade-16-03-2022/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2022, 10:51:17 »

Can someone remind me, is the present track layout already designed for the addition of P5, so in principle altering the track and signalling should be a relatively straightforward job?

It will presumably be the Botley Rd bridge and new subway that’s the most significant in terms of possessions?

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2022, 10:57:34 »

Yes, that’s right Paul.  Even some of the signals already have route indications into what will become Platform 5.

There are some new high speed S&C (Settle and Carlisle )’s going in between the Walton Well Road bridge and Oxford North Junction as well, but again, signals are already ready and waiting for that.

The Sheepwash bridge replacement at the north end of the station will be quite a big project, but nothing compared to the Botley Road bridge works.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2022, 11:52:01 »

Yes, that’s right Paul.  Even some of the signals already have route indications into what will become Platform 5.

There are some new high speed S&C (Settle and Carlisle )’s going in between the Walton Well Road bridge and Oxford North Junction as well, but again, signals are already ready and waiting for that.

The Sheepwash bridge replacement at the north end of the station will be quite a big project, but nothing compared to the Botley Road bridge works.

I was fairly sure that would be the case;  I also thought you’d posted a track layout including P5 somewhere, but I’m not having much success finding it…

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2022, 12:25:48 »

I was fairly sure that would be the case;  I also thought you’d posted a track layout including P5 somewhere, but I’m not having much success finding it…

I’ll try and repost it later.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: