Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:59:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Station - improvements, incidents and events (merged topic)  (Read 254772 times)
Rostock0

View Profile Email
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2022, 10:42:45 »

I must admit I'm surprised Oxford City Council are prepared to allow such a long full closure of Botley Road to cars.  They cycle and footpath routes are going to be very busy!

Oxford City Council probably asked for it to be as long as possible. No-one hates their residents more than Oxford City Council. I think the secretary of state for transport ought to step in here, though. Whatever the benefits are delivered by the railway improvements cannot possibly be worth the devastation caused by closing the only road into Oxford from the west for a year.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2022, 12:59:18 »

Oxford City Council probably asked for it to be as long as possible.
My thoughts also. If they are anything like Bristol City Council then nothing would surprise me at all. I like going to Oxford for work but given the impending disruption that this will cause I am glad I don't live there!

Dave
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2022, 15:13:00 »

My thoughts also. If they are anything like Bristol City Council then nothing would surprise me at all. I like going to Oxford for work but given the impending disruption that this will cause I am glad I don't live there!

Dave

The City Council is planning authority, which deals with the bridge but has little to do with the road underneath it. That belongs to the County, as the local Highway Authority. I'm not sure whether they will be doing some rebuilding of Botley Road outside Network Rail's own project, but they are in any case closely involved with that:
Oxfordshire County Council, as the local Highway Authority, is a key stakeholder in this project. The scope of the project includes highway works in addition to railway works. Whilst the developer Network Rail proposes to replace its existing rail bridges over Botley Road, it will also address:

the vehicle headroom issues below the bridges (by lowering Botley Road)
    the historic local flooding incidents (by improving the drainage provisions)
    the Active Travel issues (by providing new pedestrian and cycle ways)

The County Council has supported this project to date, with oversight, and is included in the current Detailed Design stage and Traffic Management Planning for Network Rail’s overall delivery process.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 16:22:45 by stuving » Logged
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2022, 19:18:17 »

The bridge needs replacing regardless of the station works. It's sufficiently low that the bus companies need a special fleet of low-profile double-deckers to fit through it, it's unpleasant for pedestrians and downright lethal for cyclists.

The road won't be "closed", of course, just closed to motor traffic. Pedestrians can still get through and so can cyclists (if they dismount). It might make a few people think twice about driving into Oxford, and as a resident of an Oxfordshire town I know there are plenty of people who could take the direct bus, Park & Ride, or train, but don't. There will be those for whom it's a genuine inconvenience, of course, but I believe the improvements to the bridge for non-private car users - and to the railway, of course - will be worth it in the round.

(Oxford is getting a massive new fleet of electric buses in a couple of years... I presume these will be too tall to fit under the old bridge?)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2022, 07:14:11 »

the Active Travel issues (by providing new pedestrian and cycle ways)

I assume that there will be more cyclists using the old Gas Works bridge as the Grandpont bridge will probably still be closed.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 07, 2022, 09:17:27 »

The City Council is planning authority, which deals with the bridge but has little to do with the road underneath it. That belongs to the County, as the local Highway Authority. I'm not sure whether they will be doing some rebuilding of Botley Road outside Network Rail's own project…

There will be quite a lot of work done on Osney Bridge (on Botley Road over the Thames) as some temporary repairs have been in place for a year or so.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 07, 2022, 12:14:32 »

I must admit I'm surprised Oxford City Council are prepared to allow such a long full closure of Botley Road to cars.  They cycle and footpath routes are going to be very busy!

Oxford City Council probably asked for it to be as long as possible. No-one hates their residents more than Oxford City Council. I think the secretary of state for transport ought to step in here, though. Whatever the benefits are delivered by the railway improvements cannot possibly be worth the devastation caused by closing the only road into Oxford from the west for a year.

Interesting to contrast these two comments. Although IndustryInsider expresses surprise at the length of the closure, they are presumably open to the possibility that the authorities have considered all the options and decided that this is the least worst. Rostock0 on the other hand seems to think they are actively trying to antagonise the people who vote for them.

Which is more likely?

Dave

My own experience dealing with Bristol City Council (councillors and officers) is that they have an extremely difficult balancing act to perform, on a shoestring budget. I don't envy them. They are very rarely able to make a simple choice between a good and a bad option; they almost always have to choose between a range of options all of which are bad for someone. And they can't just keep things as they are: populations grow, usage and travel patterns change, infrastructure wears out and local and central policies shift for one reason or another.

It takes time and effort to respond to the consultations they put out before starting projects like these, but it's probably the best way to make your voice heard if you genuinely think a mistake is being made. Too late for this scheme though!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2022, 11:50:14 »

There are updates from both the Coiunty Council Highways & NR» (Network Rail - home page) this morning

From OCC

The updated part
The council recognises that there would be challenges implementing the six trial traffic filters during the works for the replacement of the rail bridge and the closure of Botley Road as a result. If the council’s cabinet agrees to implement the trial filters, there would be a further recommendation that this should happen after the Botley Road reopens.

And NR

Community drop-in event – Thursday 17 November
The next community drop-in event is due to be held on afternoon of Thursday 17 November at the West Oxford Community Centre on Botley Road.

Members of the project team will be in the Mary Town Room between 13:00 and 17:00.
Rostock0

View Profile Email
« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2022, 08:07:31 »

The Botley Road closure was supposed to start on January 9th, but that's been delayed now.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2022, 10:26:41 »

First report said that NR» (Network Rail - home page) weren’t ready to start work on January 9th, further reports said that they were working to reduce the closure time.

Having issued the contract to Keir, it seems as it is they that aren’t ready? And as it’s Keir, presumably not caught yp in the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) NR disruption?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2022, 10:53:50 »

First report said that NR» (Network Rail - home page) weren’t ready to start work on January 9th, further reports said that they were working to reduce the closure time.

Having issued the contract to Keir, it seems as it is they that aren’t ready? And as it’s Keir, presumably not caught yp in the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) NR disruption?

NR have put a different slant on this:
Botley Road closure update

Replacing the bridge over Botley Road to facilitate a new platform, western entrance and road improvements is an incredibly complex project, which needs to be completed by the end of 2024 in time for the start of East West Rail services.

With it not only being vital for local transport provision, there are also multiple key utility services connecting to west of the city running both beneath the road and over the top of the bridge. So there are a number of significant challenges to overcome before work on the bridge can start.

We are working with partners to refine our plans for the delivery of the works to enhance the station and do not now need to start the full closure of Botley Road in January.

Part of this review is looking at how to reduce the impact of our work on the local community. Further details will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Kier have been digging holes, to find out what's where, for a couple of weeks now. They have also been doing their own thinking about how best to organise the work. So I'd guess they have said to NR not only "we need more time for preparation", but also "we don't need such a long road closure if we do it this way...".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 16:19:11 by stuving » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #311 on: December 10, 2022, 15:17:16 »

There's a report due to go into the City Council about the revision on December 14....
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2023, 10:13:19 »

Now reported by Network Rail that Botley Road will be closed from 11th April until October.

I notice this morning that they have started wrapping the old Youth Hostel in plastic presumably to stop debris/dust etc falling onto the surrounding area.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2023, 10:23:12 »

Yep, due to be demolished any day now
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2023, 10:30:24 »

Now reported by Network Rail that Botley Road will be closed from 11th April until October.

This is Oxfordshire's announcement about the work, which contains links to other sources.
  • 11 April 2023 to the end of October 2023: Botley Road closure for through traffic for utility diversion work.
  • March 2024 - October 2024: Botley Road closed to through traffic for highway work.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23
  Print  

Jump to: