16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:30:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Station - improvements, incidents and events (merged topic)  (Read 257483 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2023, 10:54:43 »

More concern for rail users are the following rail closure dates, mentioned in the NR» (Network Rail - home page) press release in one of those limks you refer to -

29 July to 6 August 2023 – Track work and prep work for new platform – rail services impacted. Alternative travel arrangements and advice will be publicised in advance

and

August 2024 – Four-day rail closure for bridge replacement.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 09, 2023, 16:39:45 »

Yep, due to be demolished any day now

I notice today that they have started to demolish the Youth Hostel.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #317 on: March 09, 2023, 17:00:50 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) have another drop-in session at West Oxford Community Centre (further down Botley Road on the right going away from the station) on Tuesday from 1 till 4pm
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2023, 14:15:02 »

*From Saturday 29 July until the early hours of Monday 7 August Network Rail will be working to upgrade the track just north of Oxford Station - installing new high speed crossovers. To the south of the station,  Osney Lane footbridge will be modified, moving one of the piers to make way for track layout changes. Work will also be carried out to adjust the coping stones on platforms inside the station.
[/quote]

Which of the piers are to be moved and where to?  None of them seem to be intruding far into operational railway land at the moment.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2023, 17:44:59 »

*From Saturday 29 July until the early hours of Monday 7 August Network Rail will be working to upgrade the track just north of Oxford Station - installing new high speed crossovers. To the south of the station,  Osney Lane footbridge will be modified, moving one of the piers to make way for track layout changes. Work will also be carried out to adjust the coping stones on platforms inside the station.

Which of the piers are to be moved and where to?  None of them seem to be intruding far into operational railway land at the moment.
The new down through line (platform 5) alignment starts a short distance south of the footbridge, so the present three tracks under it become four. My money is on the western pier being moved a bit further west.  I’ve subsequently found that’s definitely the case, it’s specifically mentioned in the TWA order inspectors report. 

Not much detail that I can find yet, but the track change extent is shown at the bottom of this drawing:

https://sacuksprodnrdigital0001.blob.core.windows.net/twao-oxford-corridor-phase-2/Environmental%20Statement/Volume%203%20-%20Book%20of%20figures/Ch%2002%20-%20Figure%202.1%20-%20Scheme%20Layout%20and%20Location.pdf

But is this the best place to discuss it, or should the question be moved to the main Oxford station thread?

Paul

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 18:36:16 by paul7575 » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 10, 2023, 16:14:00 »

Above two posts split from Nuneham Bridge thread and merged here

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2023, 14:00:39 »

That deepened road bridge is going to need a reliable set of pumps for when the Isis tops her banks.

I think the dip under the existing bridge is drained by a pump and if that's always been the case it's a shame that exactly what was the pump provision in the early days of the line will be something lost to time.

Ah, a map, surveyed 1876, and next to the bridge, a 'Pump room'.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/231278895

The pump room persists on later 25" mapping, though it might have shrunk. Works to replace the Botley Road rail bridge will expose and remove elements of these early installations.

Ah, 'Tales of the unexpected' emerged during the first half of July....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-66133325

Now wondering what it is they're discovering. Not really much detail in that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) item, which marks something different to the photos that appear elsewhere. For starters, if the dip beneath the bridge is below the water table, understandable to floor it out with an invert perhaps if only to ease the work if they drained it using something steam-driven.

Mark
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2023, 11:23:05 »

Network Rail saying the Botley Road bridge will not reopen this winter.

NR» (Network Rail - home page) said "This project is extremely complex and has been made even more challenging by the extent of the brick arch underneath the road. We’ve explored a number of options to deliver the works which included moving to working around the clock, but unfortunately with needing the infrastructure to be ready by the end of next year we have no choice but to keep the road closed until October 2024. "

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/network-rail-announces-continuation-of-botley-road-closure-after-unique-challenges-delayed-the-work-this-summer
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #323 on: September 19, 2023, 19:47:39 »

What's not at all clear is whether, having extended the work by over 6 months, there is need to work 24/7 beyond the original end date this year of end October. I can't believe that they've got *that* far behind.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 19, 2023, 20:03:26 »

I’d expect 24/7 working to cease as a result.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #325 on: September 19, 2023, 20:18:37 »

so would I, but zero mention of this. Surprisingly, as they really needed a softener for that news. The West Oxford traders are really suffering
Rostock0

View Profile Email
« Reply #326 on: January 03, 2024, 19:04:21 »

Seems weird that they discovered new problems as they went along. I mean, it's all above ground and easily inspectable before starting, no?

-> actually I've just seen that the problem was that they discovered an arch underground......
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 04, 2024, 09:17:30 »

Seems weird that they discovered new problems as they went along. I mean, it's all above ground and easily inspectable before starting, no?

-> actually I've just seen that the problem was that they discovered an arch underground......

It's a lovely illustration of the value of record keeping for underground structures, and the ability of major components to fade from memory once they're removed from the day to day narrative. Given that the builders gave the dip beneath Botley rail bridge a brick invert presumably to hold back the groundwater, and the dip still originally needed a steam-powered pump to drain it, it's surprising in a way that the presence of the brick invert faded from memory to the extent that it had to be rediscovered.

Mark
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2024, 12:03:32 »

Given that the builders gave the dip beneath Botley rail bridge a brick invert presumably to hold back the groundwater, and the dip still originally needed a steam-powered pump to drain it, it's surprising in a way that the presence of the brick invert faded from memory to the extent that it had to be rediscovered.

Hindsight is the only perfect science.  So the present station opened in 1852 that's over 170 years ago, or over 5 generations. Do you think you are being optimistic about what people might be expected to be remembered if there are no records?

Believe me you can do all the desk studies, reviews of old records, site investigations you like and you will still find surprises when you dig underground. Remember in this case it is almost certain that they could not dig extensive trial holes to locate services - especially those that were not on records. Perhaps there was once an old drawing with this culvert on it or perhaps it was what we used to call 'sort out on site'  with no design drawing ever made.

I have seen drawings which told me detailed construction of a particular tunnelled culvert and even the date (to the day) each section was built, but these drawings are rare and if they did exist are usually lost or thrown away at some point in the past. I have also seen what were thought to be record drawings that did not say whether the proposal was ever built and some did not even identify where they were. 

A famous tunnelling engineer was once asked  what the ideal site investigation was for a tunnel - his replay was to construct a tunnel along the route of the proposed tunnel at twice the diameter!

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2024, 18:08:52 »

One of the best bits of professional advice I received was that if you see a flat piece of ground, ask yourself who flattened it, when and how - because it tends not to happen of its own accord and goodness knows what can lurk beneath.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
  Print  

Jump to: