Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:59:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Named Trains.  (Read 26352 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2009, 21:43:32 »

I've just purchased my copy of the new FGW (First Great Western) Network Timetable (^3.00 from all good FGW ticket offices!) and amongst the wealth of information therein are a couple of pages of information on the named trains that FGW run, with a little history behind the name.

It is nice to see a little bit of tradition, harking back to the days of GWR (Great Western Railway) (with a nod to SR(resolve) in one case). Whilst today's HSTs (High Speed Train) may not have the romance of steam days of yore, it is still nice to refer to your journey by the name of the service you used.

Here is the information as printed in the timetable (with a little editing on my part). All timings Mon-Fri, unless stated.

The Pembroke Coast Express (Summer Only)
The Pembroke Coast Express runs between London Paddington, Swansea and West Wales, and serves towns on and around the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, that was established in 1952. It is the only park in the UK (United Kingdom) designated because of its spectacular coastline of rugged cliffs and sandy beaches, and covers a total area of 240 square miles.

The Royal Duchy
1206 Paddington to Penzance
1400 Penzance to Paddington

The Royal Duchy is named after the Duchy of Cornwall, one of only two Duchies in the UK. The eldest son of the reigning monarch inherits the title upon birth or upon his parent's succession to the throne.

The Cathedrals Express
0643 Hereford to Paddington
1822 Paddington to Hereford

The Cathedrals Express is named after the three cathedral cities on the route between London and Hereford. Oxford cathedral (established 1542), Worcester cathedral (est. 743), and Hereford cathedral (est. 676).

The Red Dragon
0730 Carmarthen to Paddington
1745 Paddington to Carmarthen

The Red Dragon (Welsh: Y Ddraig Goch) is named after the mythical beast that appears on the Welsh national flag. Although the flag was only granted official status in 1959, it is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use, however the origins are now lost in history and myth.

The Mayflower
1106 Paddington to Plymouth
1500 Plymouth to Paddington

The Mayflower is named after the ship that transported 102 Pilgrims and crew from Plymouth on a 66 day voyage to the new world of America in 1620.

The Bristolian
0649 Weston-super-Mare to Paddington
1800 Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads

The Bristolian was inaugurated in 1935 by the Great Western Railway as an express service between London and Bristol. The name has been in use ever since, a tradition continued by First Great Western.

The Atlantic Coast Express (Summer Only)
The ACE was first introduced by the Southern Railway in 1926 running from London Waterloo to several resorts in Devon and Cornwall. The service now operates, in the summer, from London Paddington to Newquay.

The Cheltenham Spa Express
1148 Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
1431 Cheltenham Spa to Paddington

This service was named in 1923 by the Great Western Railway. It was the first train in the world to be scheduled to run at over 70mph when, from September 1932, it covered the 77.25 miles between London and Swindon in just 65 minutes.

The Cornish Riviera
1006 Paddington to Penzance
0844 Penzance to  Paddington

The Cornish Riviera was named by a public competition announced in the August 1904 edition of the Railway Magazine, the prize being 3 guineas (^3.15). The name (originally The Cornish Riviera Limited and referred to simply as 'The Limited' by railwaymen and women) has applied to a morning service between Paddington and Penzance since 1904, ceasing to be used only during the two world wars, making it the oldest surviving named train in the country.

The Night Riviera
2350 Paddington to Penzance (Mon-Fri)
2145 Penzance to Paddington (Mon-Fri)
2345 Paddington to Penzance (Sun)
2115 Penzance to Paddington (Sun)

The Night Riviera was named in the 1980s to complement the Cornish Riviera day service and coincided with the introduction of new air-conditioned sleeping cars. First Great Western refurbished the carriages for this train in 2008.

The Merchant Venturer
0730 Paddington to Penzance (via Bristol Temple Meads)
This service is named after the Society of Merchant Venturers, a private entrepreneurial and charitable organisation that was formed in 13th century Bristol. In the 19th century the society helped to fund the building of Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge and members of the society also helped establish the Great Western Railway.

The Golden Hind
0505 Penzance to Paddington
1803 Paddington to Penzance

The Golden Hind was first introduced in the summer of 1964. The launch broke the then record for the time of a Plymouth to London journey. The train encouraged one commuter to buy the first ever 1st class annual season ticket from Taunton to Paddington.

The Saint David
0745 Paddington to Swansea
1128 Swansea to Paddington

This service is named after the patron saint of Wales (Welsh: Dewi Sant). St David was born sometime between 462 and 512 and was official recognised as Wales' patron saint in 1120.

The Torbay Express
1000 Paddington to Paignton (Mon-Fri)
1415 Paignton to Paddington (Mon-Fri)
1630 Paddington to Paignton (Sat)
0720 Paignton to Paddington (Sat)

The Torbay Express runs between Paddington, Torquay and Paignton and was introduced by the Great Western Railway as one of its premier holiday trains to the popular resorts of Torbay.

The Capitals United
0558 Swansea to Paddington
1645 Paddington to Swansea

The name 'Capitals United' was originally used between 1956 and 1963 by British Railways and has been reintroduced by First Great Western to highlight the continuing importance of the rail link between the capitals of England and Wales.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 22:54:04 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 22:27:03 »

Did not know there were that many!

I only knew of the rivieras, the red dragon and......

...I apologise........

the cathedrals (non)express

Can they be done under the trades descriptions act?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 22:35:48 »

As we're in the lighter side

The "You were up HOW early"
05:19 Gloucester to Southampton

The "Via Melksham - can you spell that?"
17:02 Worcester Foregate Street to Southampton

The "You'll be able to stop for breakfast before you go in to work"
07:02 Westbury to Cheltenham

The "Marginal time"
19:35 Westbury to Cheltanham

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 22:52:46 »

Thank-you grahame. I was actually going to end my post with suggestions for other named trains that FGW (First Great Western) (or its passengers) might consider. So in the spirit of what grahame has started, over to the forum.....

(Oh, and in the timetable book The Merchant Venturer is also listed as running; 1600 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance. Shome mishtake shurely....)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 23:08:17 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 22:55:31 »

As we're in the lighter side

The "You were up HOW early"
05:19 Gloucester to Southampton

The "Via Melksham - can you spell that?"
17:02 Worcester Foregate Street to Southampton

The "You'll be able to stop for breakfast before you go in to work"
07:02 Westbury to Cheltenham

The "Marginal time"
19:35 Westbury to Cheltanham

Thank-you grahame. I was actually going to end my post with suggestions for other named trains that FGW (First Great Western) (or its passengers) might consider. So in the spirit of what grahame has started, over to the forum.....

0517 Malvern to Paddington
The (not) right on time

1751 Paddington to WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)
The whats the point

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 23:00:18 »

Just a gentle reminder, if I may: could we please all use 'reply', rather than 'quote', whenever possible ... ?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 00:16:10 »

Bit cheeky pinching the ACE name especialy as it was the Western Region which closed all the SR(resolve) lines west of Exeter.

Is Brass A..... still used for the Golden hind?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 00:32:45 »

Just a gentle reminder, if I may: could we please all use 'reply', rather than 'quote', whenever possible ... ?

Point taken!

Its a bad habit........

dooby13

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 08:44:18 »

The Squalid Hunk of Junk
All FGW (First Great Western) trains headed west of Plymouth of an evening.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 10:05:43 »

The Squalid Hunk of Junk
All FGW (First Great Western) trains headed west of Plymouth of an evening.

Or perhaps even more appropriate in this case:

"The perhaps if the Passengers didn't treat the train like a rubbish dump, dooby13 wouldn't have to moan all the time about the state of his trains and be forced to go have a love-in with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))"

Or does it need shortening a bit?  Cool

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
dooby13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:10:30 »

So passengers only treat Worst Late Western trains like rubbish dumps - funny that...
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 11:46:05 »

passengers treat all trains like rubbish dumps and have been doing so since time began

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 14:13:00 »

So passengers only treat Worst Late Western trains like rubbish dumps - funny that...

No, Cross Country do it for you  Cheesy
dooby13

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 14:21:38 »

No, Cross Country do it for you  Cheesy

Doesn't really make sense but WHATEVA
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 15:29:57 »

Polite request to all concerned, please can we keep this discussion good-natured?

There are plenty of other discussion boards all over t'interweb where you can troll to your heart's content. This ain't one of them!  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: