Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:05:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable Theft Bridgwater (19 December 2009)  (Read 3948 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:31:53 »

Lots of disruption. From the FGW (First Great Western) wesbite:

Saturday 19th December 2009.    Time: 11:55

Signalling problems are continuing in the Taunton area. First Great Western services between Bristol, Taunton, Westbury and the West, in both directions are being have been disrupted.
Customers are advised that limited rail services are operating. Customers are advised to expect an extended rail journey until at least mid afternoon today.

A limited Road Replacement service will be in operation between Weston-Super-Mare and Taunton,in both directions,via Bridgewater and Highbridge & Burnham.

South West Trains will accept First Great Western customers on services from Exeter and Westbury via Salisbury to London Waterloo.

Further updates to follow.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:42:07 »

Just updated:

Saturday 19th December 2009.    Time: 12:40

The earlier signalling problems in the Taunton area are now in full operation. First Great Western services are starting to return to advertised timetable.Customers are advised that some delays may still occur in the short term.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 14:25:12 »

The title of this thread answers my question as to what was behind this mornings signalling problems in the Taunton area. Does anyone know how this ever increasing crime can be stopped?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 15:53:05 »

It is a constant battle the quicker we come up with making new equipment and cables secure the toerags move onto more remote sites, last weekend in the East Clandon / Merrow area (near Guildford) of SWT (South West Trains) thieves attempted to steal a cable unfortunately for them is was a LIVE 33,000 volt cable they must have been injured but there was no evidence of serious injury or death, the cost to NR» (Network Rail - home page) was in the order ^100,000 to repair the damaged cable, there was also the reported cable theft in the Colchester area which caused a fire.

In a lot of incidences these thieves put their lives at risk but more worryingly they put the lives of railway staff at risk especially when the earthing conductors at substations is stolen as there is then a danger that substation metal work can rise to a lethal voltage with respect to the mass of earth.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 16:57:44 »

Does anyone know how this ever increasing crime can be stopped?

Use wireless technology and in-cab signalling?  The only wires left being the 33Kv ones ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 00:38:43 »

It got worse... there was a points failure at Cogload Junction (near Taunton), which bought the mainline back to a standstill.

Friday's 2145 Pad-Exeter got back at around 6am in the morning due to the cable theft!  (Passengers were taxied when it became clear that they weren't going anywhere).

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 18:18:24 »

Yes... I wondered what caused the delays mid - late afteroon...

I was in Taunton planning to catch the 16:53 to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)... but that was delay by 25 mins.. Pretty much everything heading South of Taunton was showing as Delayed... I ended up on the 15:51 Service which ended up leaving a good 40 mins late Shocked

After speaking to some of my friends who were heading to cornwall... some of them arrived in Plymouth a good 100 minutes late...!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 13:11:02 »

Does anyone know how this ever increasing crime can be stopped?

Use wireless technology and in-cab signalling?  The only wires left being the 33Kv ones ...

That would help to an extent since there would no/far fewer signaling cables to steal.
The use of fibre optic data cables also helps to an extent since these have no scrap value.

The main problem though is the theft of power cables, these contain a lot of metal and are valuable to thieves.
Thieves can and do steal cables carrying lethal voltages, and as pointed out above,  the theft of substation earthing conductors is a growing problem.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: