No 'On This Day' events reported for 23rd Apr

Train RunningDelayed
06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 10:48:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[130] "Mayflower"
[100] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] Where have I been?
[34] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[22] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: About time First Great Western upgraded lighting at Coombe Junction Halt?  (Read 11752 times)
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« on: December 21, 2009, 19:05:04 »

Coombe Junction Halt, on the Looe Valley Line has no lighting. This makes the station very dangerous especially during the festive period. Because of this the winter timetable has seen trains at certain points in the evening not being able to call.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 19:12:29 »

Hmm. Don't want to sound too cynical, but based on the 2007/2008 station usage statistic of 54 passenger journeys originating from or terminating at COE good luck making the business case for that one!
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 19:20:19 »

I understand that however surely every station deserves lights? And people who have done some festive shopping to Liskeard, Looe and other places can't get back by train because of this.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 19:22:33 »

Even one that only has an average of one return journey every two weeks?
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 19:25:26 »

I believe so. Every passenger matters!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 19:26:32 »

Far cheaper to provide a taxi for that illustrious passengers, no doubt the passengers numbers are fudged anyway...
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 19:32:24 »

Just think though if somebody special to you is leaving a train at Coombe during the dark hours, and the lights are not up. This person can't see, and slips over. Then nobody finds her until the next morning. I think you will want the lights up then!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 19:33:25 »

Just think though if somebody special to you is leaving a train at Coombe during the dark hours, and the lights are not up. This person can't see, and slips over. Then nobody finds her until the next morning. I think you will want the lights up then!

You've answered your own question;

Because of this the winter timetable has seen trains at certain points in the evening not being able to call.
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 19:37:55 »

Yes but why don't fgw put the lights up and then the trains can call at Coombe? Passanger usage is small however every station deserve's light and well trains.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 22:58:49 »

Yes but why don't fgw put the lights up and then the trains can call at Coombe? Passanger usage is small however every station deserve's light and well trains.
Are you actually familliar with the local geography? Coombe is pointless, you can run from Coombe to Liskeard quicker than the train, it was just a platform that was built in steam days for loco's to run around their train to change direction, when I was based in Cornwall I never saw one passenger join or alight there as there is no population nearby at all!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 00:21:34 »

Coombe (Junction (Halt))  maybe an anachronism because of the topography of the line to Looe, but it still gets a better service than some places on the FGW (First Great Western) network I could mention. Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:41:13 »

Are you actually familliar with the local geography? Coombe is pointless, you can run from Coombe to Liskeard quicker than the train, it was just a platform that was built in steam days for loco's to run around their train to change direction, when I was based in Cornwall I never saw one passenger join or alight there as there is no population nearby at all!

Indeed Vacman - like me, you have probably met people who used to travel by train from Looe to Liskeard Grammar School in the days of steam who, if they just missed the train at Liskeard, prided themseles on being able to run down the hill and still catch it at Coombe.  As the crow flies, Liskeard - Coombe is probably only 3/4 of a mile.

It really is one of the few stations anywhere which just isn't used.  Money spent on lighting would just be a waste.  It's a very unusual situation.

Richard Burningham
Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 14:21:09 »

As a further point, does it even have an electricity supply? Having to run a mains supply to it or provide some sort of generator or battery arrangement would make the whole affair even more ridiculous.

Edit: as an afterthought, there are lots and lots of roads and footpaths all over Cornwall and the rest of the country that don't have blazing streetlights. Would you like these all to be lit as well on the ground that "every passenger matters"?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 14:41:53 by inspector_blakey » Logged
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 18:11:51 »

As a further point, does it even have an electricity supply? Having to run a mains supply to it or provide some sort of generator or battery arrangement would make the whole affair even more ridiculous.

Edit: as an afterthought, there are lots and lots of roads and footpaths all over Cornwall and the rest of the country that don't have blazing streetlights. Would you like these all to be lit as well on the ground that "every passenger matters"?

Theres an information noisy box so theres obviously electricity supplied. Have NR» (Network Rail - home page) even bothered to repair the platform yet? Its a shame if they are leaving it because its a lovely area!

BTW (by the way), if anyone here can run up from Coombe to Liskeard faster than the train, I would pay for the lights myself!  Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 18:16:18 »

I don't understand how it is a halt if trains have to stop and reverse there.

Anyway, what is the point on wasting money on keeping the station open if* it serves no use? Just axe it and spend the money somewhere else! I'm sure 50 passengers a year can struggle 3/4 miles to their alternative.

*I don't know the area, so it may do. If so, ignore my comments.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: