Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:52:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: A Christmas quiz - twelve days of Christmas  (Read 50678 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2009, 18:30:36 »

7. is an MGR coal wagon, "HHA" if i remember correctly. Presumably it's between Trowbridge and Bristol as the Westbury Cement Works - Somewhere in Wales still uses these, my guess is therefore Bradford On Avon.

I'll take your word for the wagon type.  You didn't have a chance on this picture to give me a "where"; it is Wiltshire, but not between Westbury and Bath / Bristol.  There is the prceeding picture on my film:

which is still not an easy location to get, I don't think.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 18:48:22 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2009, 01:51:55 »

(2) Is on Hampton Marshall Level Crossing
(Cool Is a locomotive bogie on the Blue Ridge Scenit Railroad in Georgia

All the rest ... you clever folks got!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2009, 01:54:46 »

It is said that men do much better than women ... with keeping to their new year's resolutions; women only manage to keep to theirs, on average for five days.  There *are* ways, ladies, of improving your persistance - making the targets attainable ones is a good start, and having something like a serious health issue behind a more major change is a darned good way of encouraging you to stay with the change; sorry - that's not lighter side, but personal experience of making a life change..  Oh - you're probably wondering how long a man lasts on average (with his new year resolutions!).  It's six days Wink

7. What railway related new year's resolutions will you / should you be making for 2010?  If you're a commuter, will you be saying a cheery "good morning" to your fellow travellers each morning?  If you're ... no - I'm going to let you make the suggestions!

I am posting this in spite of Chris's "New Year Resolution" thread as his relates to the Coffee Shop specifically

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2010, 09:47:15 »

Happy New Year, everyone!

8. Can you answer these?

a) If a train starts from Swearword & Ethanol, does it end at Methanol Theta? Explain!
b) Where would you find Eel Story, Hog Statue, Burst Racoon and Owl News South?
c) How about Cow Danced, Cock Ness and Setter Stew?
d) What colour gets you from Apt Nodding to Written Mess?

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2010, 10:05:16 »

a) If a train starts from Swearword & Ethanol, does it end at Methanol Theta? Explain!
Harrow & Wealdstone to Tottenham Hale?  Answer is no as there are no direct trains on either LU or NR» (Network Rail - home page).

Burnley Manchester Road, Milton Keynes Central, Paisley Gilmour Street, Walton (Merseyside) and Waterloo (Merseyside)
New Southgate
Ardrossan South Beach or Gainsborough Central
Walthamstow Queen's Road

I'll leave the rest for someone else  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:38 »

Harrow & Wealdstone to Tottenham Hale?  Answer is no as there are no direct trains on either LU or NR» (Network Rail - home page).

Yes, that's correct ... I was actually looking at the underground names there.

Burnley Manchester Road, Milton Keynes Central, Paisley Gilmour Street, Walton (Merseyside) and Waterloo (Merseyside)
New Southgate
Ardrossan South Beach or Gainsborough Central
Walthamstow Queen's Road

Well, yes, you could but I had something in mind where you might find them much closer together than that.  I don't suppose the service from Walthamstow Queen's Road to Gainsborough Central is going to be particularly brilliant ...

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2010, 11:00:06 »

Eel Story : Osterley
Hog Statue : Southgate
Burst Racoon : Barons Court
Owl News South : Houndslow Wes

Apt Nodding to Written Mess direct would be Yellow

(Paddington - Westminster via the Circle line)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:07:45 by plymothian » Logged

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:23 »

Yes ... that's Piccadilly line and Circle line.    I wondered if there was a political joke / comment in the fact that Westminster is an anagram of "Written Mess".

Leaves just (c) unanswered ...

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2010, 12:55:25 »

Yes ... that's Piccadilly line and Circle line.    I wondered if there was a political joke / comment in the fact that Westminster is an anagram of "Written Mess".

Methinks you picked up the LU station anagrams from this map.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2010, 13:31:06 »

Methinks you picked up the LU station anagrams from this map.

So ... where are Cow Danced, Cock Ness and Setter Stew?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2010, 14:13:47 »

They be on the Clockwork Orange (SPT (Signal Post Telephone) Subway, Glasgow). Although there be more than one dancing cow!

Cows Danced - Cowcaddens
Cock Ness - Cessnock
Setter Stew - West Street

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2010, 08:38:55 »

Cows Danced - Cowcaddens

Oops - sorry about that.  How about "each platform is a Cowcadden ... add them up and you get two Cowcaddens".  OK - it was my mistake ... special "well done" for getting it anyway.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2010, 08:42:36 »

If I get the first train from "A" to "B", stop there for at least an hour, then get the first train back, how long am I away from "A" and how long do I ACTUALLY spend in "B"?  We'll call this time "B" the minimum layover

9. For a journey that starts on the first available train after 05:00 on Monday, 11th January 2010, what is the longest minimum layover time you can find (lines with FGW (First Great Western) services)?  I'm going to allow you one change of train along the route as you return, and a maximum outward journey time of 90 minutes, as this is really a commuter question!

Background and example

I was surprised last year to be told that timetabling studies take little account of the layover times at destination, and instead concentrate on the flows or projected flows at peak time, with scant consideration to the effect on the other flow. But it can be critical ... a 10 hours 58 minute minimum layover (as we have from Melksham to Swindon) is 60 to 90 minutes too long, and restricts traffic. Just yesterday I was hearing of yet another person who commutes by car to Swindon and would love a practical alternative ...

See http://www.wellho.net/mouth/2457_Railway-Arithmetic.html where I have delved even deeper into this

Yes, I already know of cases that are worse that the one I have quoted ... can YOU find them?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2010, 08:29:16 »

Christmas is feeling a long time ago now, in spite of us still being in the "12 days". Or perhaps my question was obscure or too boringly (for some readers!) TransWilts based.  Actually we only come in "Third worst" although our lousy commute is between 2 towns, 6 miles apart, with populations of over 20,000 each.  The others are smaller places and / or a special case just for January.

3. Melksham (4th largest town in Wiltshire) to Trowbridge (the county town) ... travel by train, and you'll arrive in Trowbridge at 06:50, and not be able to leave again until 19:37 for a 19:47 arrival back in your home town.

2. Pilning to Severn Tunnel Junction.  You can't leave until 15:41 on Saturday, 16th January ... and you then spend just a few hours short of a week at Severn Tunnel Junction ... the return train gets you in at 08:32 on Saturday, 23rd January

1. Menheniot to Liskeard.  Surprisingly, the first train westbound doesn't call until 08:44 (08:51 at Liskeard) and the return train(s) ... are not calling at all until 1st February. So you'll get back (with my 'rules') at 07:34 on 1st February, having set out on 11th January. 

The footbridge at Menheniot is being replaced ... only westbound services calling from this week until 31st January - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=4547 . As I researched this, I was a bit surprised to find just how sparse the westbound service is - 08:44, 16:25, 17:34 and 18:45 - has it always been this low a service?

The advise on the web page quoted is for passengers from the West to Menheniot this month to travel one stop beyond - to St Gernams - and get a train or bus back.  No advise is offered online for people who wish to join trains such as the 07:34 to get them to Plymouth by 08:05; is there any advise posted at the station?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:15:49 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2010, 08:31:38 »

An much easier one for today ...

10. What is the oldest train (piece of rolling stock) that FGW (First Great Western) operate, and what is the newest?   When were they built? Do they operate anything (not a train) which is older, and if so, what?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:13:13 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: