18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 04:58:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail Station Improvement Survey  (Read 6059 times)
matt473

View Profile Email
« on: December 29, 2009, 17:27:35 »

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6063.aspx

I reccomend that if people have some spare time to fill in this survey as it will give Network Rail a general idea of what people think of it's stations. Having completed it I can say I am glad it asks for your opinions on smaller stations on the network which are usually overlooked if you state you regularly use these stations. This survey is only up until the end of Dec 31st though so hurry.

Btw there is a prize of an annual season ticket or ^2000 avaiable but I'm sure many of us here would fill out the survey regardless as we would all like improvements to our local stations
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 19:19:33 »

Thanks Matt.

I've done the survey for my regular commute but I did have a bit of trouble deciding how important it was to have a beauty salon/nail parlour at Nailsea and Backwell!  Huh  Wink

TLM

John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 19:21:22 »

Chris uses it all the time.  Grin Grin Grin
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 19:23:50 »

I was tempted to state there were not enough retail facilities in Temple Meads, but then I remembered the station is my safe place away from shops when friends visit me Tongue
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 19:36:30 »

I've filled it in too... I found the questions a bit restrictive though... Does anyone want to get their nails done whilst waiting for a train?  Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 19:42:57 »

At least the form gave a chance to have a rant make comments about two stations.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 20:04:59 »

Here's hoping the lack of a gym at Shirehampton will soon be rectified Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 00:53:40 »

"One is rather cross at the general lack of First Class facilities for one at Nailsea & Backwell."

Grin

(and thanks, John!)

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:27:23 »

In all seriousness, it's good news that Nework Rail are asking, and I have completed the survey.   I see that the results will be published on their web site during 2010, and I hope the views expressed and results will help guide future direction too rather that being "very interesting ... now let's go ahead with what we planned anyway"

For those of you who haven't see the survey yet (or perhaps it'll have gone offline by the time you get to this thread), here are Network Rail's stated aims ...

All our stations should aim to
   1. Be safe, secure and easy to use
   2. Provide the information needed for passengers to plan their journeys
   3. Allow quick and easy transfer to other forms of transport
   4. Attract people to use the rail network
   5. Have a positive impact on the environment

Our managed stations should also aim to
   6. Be places people want to work, shop and travel
   7. Showcase good British design and safeguard our heritage
   8. Provide a hub for other modes of transport
   9. Act as a catalyst for the development of our major cities
  10. Anticipate the changing and dynamic needs of our passengers

The top section applies to all 2,500 stations, the bottom section to the "big 18" which they manage, rather thatn having the TOCs (Train Operating Company) look after them.    It's curious that only the 18 should "safeguard our heritage" and that only the 18 should "anticipate the changing and dynamic needs of our passengers", isn't it?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:04 »

For those of you who have seen the posts about a nail bar at Nailsea, and wonder what the other ideas are ... here is a list of the facilities that we are being asked to rank for importance.

A passenger information service
Tourist information
A 'whats on?' guide for the area
A range of restaurants
High street coffee bars
A range of places to have a drink
Take away food outlets
A range of high street retail outlets
A range of exclusive high quality retail outlets
A bank
Cash point
Easy to use ticket machines
Rentable office facilities / business centre
Bureau de Change
User friendly ticket machines
Beauty salon/hairdresser/barber/nailbar
Seated waiting areas
Quiet areas to have a business meeting
Internet access
Post office
A gym or health club
Leisure activities (e.g. a range of electronic gaming machines)

The list is clearly restricted to Network Rail's agenda - I would have voted "very important" for an appropriate train service (not something that they asked about) and a ticket office (again, not even offered).

Question - what is the difference between "Easy to use ticket machines" and "User friendly ticket machines"?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 10:54:36 »

Question - what is the difference between "Easy to use ticket machines" and "User friendly ticket machines"?

Dunno the difference, but both are at their least friendliest when not working/not offering the ticket you want, forcing you to buy from the TM(resolve)/destination/not at all.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 15:06:56 »

Put down the same a t Furze Platt along withe urgent need for High St type retail outlets  Grin

Seriously the points I made were for improved security, diswade the little yobs and yobetts who lurk there smoking drink and making a mess and generally putting people off using the station.  Also the need for an improved shelter

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 17:30:35 »

Put down the same a t Furze Platt along withe urgent need for High St type retail outlets  Grin

Seriously the points I made were for improved security, diswade the little yobs and yobetts who lurk there smoking drink and making a mess and generally putting people off using the station.  Also the need for an improved shelter

Pretty much the same points I made for my local station, Shirehampton. It has seen some improvement with a CIS (Customer Information System)/PIS (Passenger Information System) screen and a lick of of paint. However, the shelter is a haven for the local toe-rags and I rarely sit in it, as eau de pisse is not my favourite of fragrances.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: