27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:53:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 was a busy year - and 2010 could be busier. Happy New Year  (Read 4793 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 31, 2009, 19:05:08 »

We've still go a few hours to go, but I'm posting here to wish everyone a happy New Year, and to thank you one and all for making this forum as busy as it is.

Cancellations have dropped, trains run much more on time, and overcrowding is now much less of an issue than when this forum was set up.  So it's all the more remarkable that we what started as something of a 'protest' site has grown, and continues to grow, even with the improved timetables and performance on most (but not all) services. 

Past Decembers have always been months when timetable changes have boosted our posts early in the month, but then the Christmas break has seen so many people away that the month has ended quietly, and the total post count for the month has been low.  This month has bucked that trend ... as I write, this has already been the busiest month this year ... for posts, for new members, and for new subjects too, even though there wasn't the big chance of times and stock that we've seen in previous years. 

Calendar MonthNew ThreadsNew PostsNew Members
December 2009  217 2162659 262447
November 2009 205 2302 40
October 2009 156 2032 43
September 2009 158 1876 35
August 2009 141 2150 43
July 2009 175 2065 32
June 2009 182 2493 20
May 2009 141 2328 44
April 2009 142 2010 23
March 2009 110 1770 32
February 2009 102 1741 39
January 2009 163 2499 31

Why the difference, then?  I feel that I'm now amongst old friend here (I mean "longstanding" not "ancient", of course!) and I know that some others feel the same.  Touching wood, our servers have run very well ... and yet I know that if there's an issue I'll get an email to let me know from certain people.  And a comment like "this is the first place I check in the morning" warns my heart, even from someone I could pass in the street and neither know nor take a second glance at.  We seem to have become a real community of friends.

Last month, the GWRUS (Great Western Route Utilisation Strategy) responses went in, yesterday I urged you to complete a Network Rail Station Survey and earlier today I submitted a response to the Wiltshire Core Strategy.

There's a need to keep vigilant - to keep saying "hey - this isn't in the travellers interest", and "no - you can't cut that service" ... to keep a watch for a cancellation of new trains for a line, or a consultation that's going to threated a current service or a promised one.

Looking in an insular way (though Wiltshire is not an island!) I feel that we have turned a positive corner in the last seven months; we still have a journey ahead that will, perhaps, be long and tough until we have an appropriate TransWilts service.  But the corner turned means that all parties are working for it far more, and there's not the suspicion that there's a lot of fillybustering going on (there IS, though, tough negotiation and continued brinkmanship where certain organisations look after other interests to the detriment of the passenger) - so I'm more optimistic about the next year or two.

Over a wider picture, I would be unwise to predict - except to predict an interesting year.  The promises of funding and new schemes are better than they have been in my memory of being involved with rail campaigning (but that's only a short time), but the threat to those schemes, and existing services too, from an economy that's been squeezed and an incoming government, or whatever party, that may have or need to have a very different agenda, is great.

Perhaps I'm the last one still at work this evening (I'm awaiting guests checking in to our hotel, who have phoned to say they're running late) ... but please do follow up, anyone else who is still earning their 2009 money. And I'll be here early in the morning too as I'm on breakfast dury for the "hangover crew".  I hope they can remember how to get back in when they come back from their party, or all be up in the early hours too. So my thoughts on New Years eve are with rail staff on duty, and my message for them is "even if you'r not passenger facing, thank you for what you do to make the passengers' journeys possible."

Edit ... to update numbers to include posts and topicd from those final hours of 2009. Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:22:56 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 19:24:38 »

...and a Happy New Year to you Graham, and thank you for all your work in 2009 facilitating the Coffee Shop in all the ways you do. Thanks also to all the Moderators for all their work behind the scenes.

And Happy New Year to everyone. Gosh, where did that decade go?Huh
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 20:50:51 »

i would like to thankyou Graham for all the time and effort you put into this
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 21:52:29 »

Happy New Year to all. Thanks to all the moderators and administrators, for making this such a friendly and resourceful site for rail info AS WELL AS campaigns. Hopefully the next decade can be a real success for the railway once the credit crunch has gone away.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: