Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
12:55 Paignton to Exmouth
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
Delayed
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:58 London Paddington to Evesham
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:05 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
18:19 Moreton-In-Marsh to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:17:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Great British Railway Journeys - Michael Portillo's television series  (Read 141601 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2012, 20:55:16 »

From the Worcester News:

As seen on TV: the day Mr Portillo stopped by

A Malvern school will feature in TV series Great British Railway Journeys, hosted by Michael Portillo, on Tuesday, January 17.

The documentary series sees former Conservative politician Mr Portillo travel the length and breadth of the country by train, and Tuesday's episode comes to Great Malvern to examine the legacy of composer Sir Edward Elgar.

The programme will focus on Elgar^s connection with the railway, which he used to attend concerts and music festivals throughout the United Kingdom.

During filming last July, Mr Portillo visited Malvern St James, where he was entertained by Elgar's Chanson de Matin, performed by pupil Tamsin Elsey and music teacher Malcolm Forbes-Peckham. Tamsin and Mr Portillo also discussed the influence of Elgar^s music in her life and her interest in the composer.

Headteacher Patricia Woodhouse said: ^We were delighted that Mr Portillo was able to take in the rich heritage and history of Malvern, as well as experiencing the exceptional musical talents of the girls at Malvern St James. We are very much looking forward to seeing the programme.^

He also visits the home of Queen Victoria^s favourite bishop in Hartlebury, near Worcester, sniffs out the secrets of Worcestershire Sauce, and follows in the footsteps of Victorian health fanatics to the Malvern Hills.

Great British Railway Journeys can be seen on BBC2 at 6.30pm.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2012, 15:59:36 »

Iplayer is a right pain for me now. I found out about this new series on Monday evening (having missed Monday's episode) and only managed to watch the Iplayer clip yesterday evening because I had to borrow my brother's computer since mine won't play the audio and video at the same speed. It is fine with most videos, but not BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Iplayer ones.

It should give you the option to download for viewing on Windows Media Player, it's what I do when the stream goes a bit skewwiff.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2012, 17:42:43 »

It should give you the option to download for viewing on Windows Media Player, it's what I do when the stream goes a bit skewwiff.

That's what I do with BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) IPlayer, I download the 'for portable devices' video (which gives me a windows media format (.wmv) file) and play it in Windows Media Player. It used to work fine, then halfway through another TV series I was watching a while back Windows Media Player suddenly stopped playing it in sync. and the DRM stops me trying to use other media players.

I CANNOT stream from IPlayer, it will not buffer fast enough (0.5mbps internet connection speed out here, which is also why I tend to go for the portable devices download rather than the higher quality Windows Media version) so it plays a second or two of video then I have to wait ages for the next second.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2012, 19:53:21 »

*cough* http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36542/iplayer%2B
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 20:11:18 »

Just watched the latest episode. Won't spoil it too much for those yet to see except to say that I no longer share the same opinion of Newport Station as that stated by Mr P......

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2012, 02:30:04 »

Series 3 starting to find its way onto Youtube, much to my delight. And who should crop up in episode one but Adrian Vaughan, former BR (British Rail(ways))(W) signaller and railway author? Although in this case he was discussing the history of Somerleyton Hall in Suffolk.
Rob S

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2012, 20:45:58 »

I don't know if someone has already mentioned it but you can now buy a hard backed facsimilie of the edition of Bradshaw's guide used in the programme from Amazon. Smiley

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bradshaws-Handbook-Facsimile-Famous-Guide/dp/1908402024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327264597&sr=8-1

A bargain at ^5. I ordered mine on Friday evening after finally deciding to google it after all these episodes and noticed that only the day before the Daily Mail had printed this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089047/Bradshaws-Handbook-railway-guide-breaks-Amazon-bestsellers-list.html

edit....it looks like they are currently out of stock for now (maybe I got the last one as mine is already been dispatched) but in the meantime you can read it online thanks to these links (as its out of copyright)

http://lacithedog.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/michael-portillo-bradshaws-guide-and-great-british-railway-journeys/
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2012, 20:54:32 »

Except for the price, I'm not sure what is different between the issue mentioned by Rob S and this one: http://www.bookcascade.co.uk/search/1908174056 :?

I finally watched a few episodes today.  The continuity has certainly improved and the content as enjoyable as ever.  Now to download the rest of the series (thank goodness for 100mbps internet).
Rob S

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2012, 21:14:11 »

The difference is stated in a couple of the reviews for both versions of the book on the Amazon website.

The ^20+ version is a bigger sized paperback, published a couple of months earlier than the one I mentioned. It apparently has all the maps and the adverts of the original....the cheaper one is apparently the same dimensions as the original and a hardback. According to someone that bought both, the hardbacked cheaper version lacks the maps and ads. That said one of the reviews for the cheaper book says that it contains maps too.....so maybe there are fewer maps rather than no maps. When mine arrives I'll see.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 21:31:59 by Rob S » Logged
Rob S

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 17:39:57 »

Well it's arrived already...astonished given that I chose free delivery!! Shocked

It's fantastic....especially for ^5 Smiley

Regarding the maps and illustrations....there is a publishers note at the start that states that due to the size and condition of the original maps they have been unable to reproduce them in there entirety....they do include street maps of Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, Hull, Leeds, Glasgow & Edinburgh...the writing on the maps is tiny...there also a small selection of illustrations including a page of cathedrals, castles of England, views of Edinburgh, London (including the crystal palace) views of the Isle of Wight, abbeys of England, some Welsh bridges....and some adverts including insect destroying powder, a sewing machine, a glass and china shop in Oxford Street with prices.

Hope this helps
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2012, 19:10:12 »

Not the best of quality but series one and two, which feature the Swindon to Penzance trip, are available to watch FREE online from Michael's own website....

here ^..

WWW (World Wide Web).MICHAELPORTILLO.CO.UK (United Kingdom)
27-Jan-2012 @ 19:08

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 19:16:33 by RailCornwall » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2012, 20:04:01 »

An alternative source for Series 1 is this page on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GreatBritishRailway1#g/c/986822D8B854B8B8

Better resolution and correct aspect ratio than the videos on Mr P's website. Downside is each episode split into three parts, but queueing up clips using youtube's playlist function can overcome that.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 04:43:05 »

I know I witter on about this fairly frequently, but it never ceases to amaze me how someone who appeared so reptilian as a politician can come across so well and be so engaging as a TV presenter!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2012, 10:42:21 »

A rather dubious taste in jackets, however.  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2012, 13:45:08 »

Portsmouth's Evening News is reporting that Michael Portillo was on board HMS Dragon today to film for a new series of Great British Railway Journeys.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/now-i-m-sure-i-recognise-you-1-3767564
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: