Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:10:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Great British Railway Journeys - Michael Portillo's television series  (Read 141201 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2012, 17:01:43 »

The latest series of Great British Railway Journeys starts on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Two on Monday 7th January 2013 at 18:30 and runs every night Monday to Friday as before.

7th Jan High Wycombe to Stratford Upon Avon
8th Jan Birmingham to Stafford
9th Jan Stoke on Trent to Winsford
10th Jan Dudley to Bridgnorth
11th Jan Welshpool to Aberystwyth

It continues the following week but episode details are not available yet as far as I know.

Meanwhile a link from Michael Portillo's website gives details of a digital version of Bradshaws
http://lacithedog.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/michael-portillo-bradshaws-guide-and-great-british-railway-journeys/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 18:09:26 by bobm » Logged
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2012, 18:06:05 »

Thanks for posting this. I normally enjoy these programmes but as the first one goes through my home town of Banbury I will be paying particular interest.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2012, 22:56:34 »

Looking forward to seeing MP (Member of Parliament) on the Severn Valley Railway. He was there just a few days after my most recent visit. I believe he followed in my footsteps as well - visiting the Bridgenorth Cliff Railway.

I also got the chance to fire a locomotive at Bridgenorth SVR, albeit briefly and only whilst stationary. If MP doesn't do that then I can rest happy in the knowledge that I've gone one better than him.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2012, 07:51:12 »

Is it Bridgnorth or Bridgenorth?

The media handout I have includes an e - but I thought it was wrong and left it out.  If you go to SVR on Google the preamble includes an e but the actual website doesn't.

Having upset someone in Bridgwater by giving them an extra e once I'd be keen not to repeat the faux pas.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2012, 08:16:31 »

Is it Bridgnorth or Bridgenorth?

Bridgnorth ...

http://www.wellsteedphotography.co.uk/portfolio/railways/attachment/3/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2012, 11:31:52 »

My old favourites also include 'Oakhampton' and Barnstable'.  Perhaps a competition for citing wrongly-spelled GW (Great Western) station names could be started - it's Christmas and I only got one (that's 1 ) of the BNM quiz photos.  Angry   
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2012, 11:48:59 »

My old favourites also include 'Oakhampton' and Barnstable'.  Perhaps a competition for citing wrongly-spelled GW (Great Western) station names could be started - it's Christmas and I only got one (that's 1 ) of the BNM quiz photos.  Angry   

Thanks for that reminder about BNM's prize quiz - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11647 - and it really is worthwhile putting in an answer, even if you're only certain on one or two and have had to guess many of the others  Grin

I'm a very bad smpeller as member here know very well ... and I tend not to notice the most horrifabulous corruptions as long as the sense is there.  What really "gets my goat" is being asked to spell the name of the station I'm at when I press the button on the help point to ask a question.   You get a feeling that (a) caller ID should tell the person you're speaking to where you are calling from and (b) the person you're speaking to really should know the stations that he / she is providing customer service for well enough to recognise their names.

"M-E-L-K-S-H-A-M (and I don't suppose you've been there by train yourself to help you provide customer suppot from first hand experience!  Undecided ) "

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2012, 11:56:25 »

I am so ignorant, I did not know the river that flows through Taunton is the Tone.  How noble of those people to name their river after our ex prime minister.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2012, 12:11:37 »

Many a day, when I were nobbut a lad, was spent messing about on, in or near the Tone. Some good stretches for chub and pike fishing. Happy days.

Another misspelling you often see is Newton Abbott.

My apologies to the good folk of Bridgnorth for giving them a spurious 'e'. I should know better, having lived in Bridgwater for a few years* - the locals there can get very animated when you insert that extra vowel.

*Don't worry. I managed to escape.  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2012, 12:36:14 »

It's the Earl of Bridgewater and his canal wot dun it.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:47 »

Details for the second week of the latest series are now available

14th Jan Portsmouth to Gomshall
15th Jan Woking to Clapham Junction
16th Jan London Victoria to Abbey Wood
17th Jan London Kings Cross to Peterborough
18th Jan Spalding to Grimsby

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2012, 12:48:25 »

Be interesting to see if doing Dudley to Kidderminster he changes at Smethwick Galton Bridge and has a look at Telford's fine Galton bridge over the BCN New Line. Which unfortunately is now blocked in by the railaway bridge and  newish sewer pipe road tunnel.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2013, 19:27:18 »

A reminder that this weeks' series of five episodes feature, in large part, the area covered by this forum.

Michael is travelling from Paddington to the West via Hungerford, Westbury, Salisbury, Yeovil, Taunton, Minehead, Barnstaple, Exeter, Exmouth and finishing in Newton Abbot.

Broadcast on BBC2 6:30pm Mon-Fri and on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) iPlayer shortly after.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2013, 19:40:53 »

I enjoyed it - but then I suspect like a lot of others here I am biased! I am surprised by the jump from Hanwell to Hungerford but then I seem to remember did the reading bit a few series ago.

What with this program, the program about railways in Wales and the Dan Snow series I need a bigger ipad !
Wilf19

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2013, 21:52:54 »

The household authority has gone out this evening so have been working my way through several episodes of "Great British Railway Journeys". The children gave up and went to bed early in disgust (or was it despair?).

I've just watched Monday evening's Paddington - Warminster episode, I was intrigued by the editing/continuity  that allowed MP (Member of Parliament) to get on a Turbo at Hungerford, then showed him sat on an HST (High Speed Train) on his way to Westbury. Heading west from Hungerford I didn't think you could do that?

On to the next episode....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: