Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:39:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Great British Railway Journeys - Michael Portillo's television series  (Read 139594 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2013, 21:59:10 »

then showed him sat on an HST (High Speed Train) on his way to Westbury. Heading west from Hungerford I didn't think you could do that?

There are three westbound HST services per weekday that call at both Hungerford and Westbury.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2013, 22:17:45 »

The household authority has gone out this evening so ....

Lucky you!  Cry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2013, 02:55:53 »

then showed him sat on an HST (High Speed Train) on his way to Westbury. Heading west from Hungerford I didn't think you could do that?

There are three westbound HST services per weekday that call at both Hungerford and Westbury.

Don't believe we have any direct services from Southall to Hungerford though Smiley

On a different note: Watched Miranda this evening. Showed her at Marylebone attempting to get a Chiltern Railways service to... WICK!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2013, 08:53:11 »

Watched Miranda this evening. Showed her at Marylebone attempting to get a Chiltern Railways service to... WICK!

AND the Passenger Information Screen showed that same destination with Brora scrolling underneath.  I wonder if this was an edited in from another programme or they had one of Marylebone's especially programmed.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:09 »

Yes - the continuity is interesting, but not really of relevance to 99% of the viewers. Last night he was shown descending the footbridge onto platform 1 at Cary. the camera then panned to show him going up from plats 2/3. At our recent 'Steampipes' film show in London we showed a film (circa 1960's) of the Flying Scotsman train, showing its development over the years. The conclusion was that '. . . and today The Flying Scotsman still leaves at 10am for its high speed run to Edinburgh. . .' accompanied by film of a Blue Pullman.Much appreciated by the audience.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2013, 19:55:31 »

Yes - the continuity is interesting, but not really of relevance to 99% of the viewers.

Although I get irritated by the continuity issues I totally agree with this. Having watch the Dan Snow program I found the Portillo programme tired BUT this weeks has been good because its a part of the world I have connections with. I haven't been on the west Somerset railway for many years I would to do the full journey through to minehead
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2013, 05:33:27 »

Learnt something new about my home town Taunton in Wednesday's episode. I never knew the tower of St Mary's Church swayed when the bells pealed.

Also really nice to see Michael visit one of my favourite places in the whole world, The Valley of the Rocks near Lynmouth.

Watching cricket there on a summer's afternoon is my idea of heaven! A more stunning location for a cricket ground you'd struggle to find.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2013/jan/25/worlds-most-beautiful-cricket-grounds

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:14 »

Agreed. It's a bit 'Down your Way' though isn't it?  Nevertheless I always think of those who are housebound, or bedridden; for those it's like a day out.  We love Taunton and i used to attend meetings there and with the journey over the Blackdowns and then down through Corfe with the Tone Valley (river named after our ex-PM)... magnificent..
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2013, 10:25:27 »

Great - someone else who remembers Down Your Way - and with Brian Johnston as presenter there's another link with the cricket.  My father recorded some of them on reel to reel tape when they were broadcast.

Having watched all the series I have been encouraged to visit a few of the places mentioned that I have not been to before.   The problem the programme has is he has covered most of the main lines so he is having to dart about to fill in the missing bits.  For example this week he is travelling to Newton Abbot - which he covered part of in the first series when he went from Swindon to Penzance.

Be interesting to see if there is another series in the future and which parts he will travel to next.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2013, 14:25:02 »

Rail enthusiasts have to remember that these programmes have to appeal to a wide audience, most of whom are not enthusiasts. The rail journey is just a means of linking a number of disparate items together. What I enjoy is that although I have visited many of the locations in the past, most items relate to something I have not seen or only vaguely noticed and would probably have not thought anything about. I just smile at the artistic licence taken that sometimes shows Michael getting on one type of train but getting off from a different type. It all adds to the entertainment.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2013, 17:17:21 »

One other thing I think I've noticed is lot of wrong line running especialy with aerial shots. I am also fairly sure the 170 arrived wrong line at Whittlesea. Must re-run my recordings.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2013, 18:23:52 »

It's not wrong line running: they're running the film backwards for a better effect.  If you have the programme where he visits Tintern Abbey there's a wonderful helicopter zoom-in shot of the ruins.  Only problem is the first moments of the shot clearly (or perhaps not too clearly) all the traffic and walkers are moving backwards!  I re-ran it because I couldn't believe my eyes. The editing is only irritating if you are aware of the tricks and know that there is no such thing as simply 'a train' which is true of most of us in this forum.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2013, 20:24:17 »

I thought I'd spotted the odd instance of trains approaching the camera with tail lights rather than head/marker lights illuminated, glad I wasn't imagining it!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2013, 10:56:09 »

Just been catching up on some old viewing and stumbled across "The Restoration Man" series on Channel 4.  The episode last Thursday (31st Jan) was based on converting the water tower at Settle station into a three storey home.  Also has a bit of the history of the line and an appearance by Michael Portillo.  Will be on 4oD for a while.  Worth a watch.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2013, 17:08:08 »

After the turkey and tinsel have gone, Michael Portillo will be back with his fifth series of Great British Railway Journeys.

The first week of the series will be broadcast on BBC2 between the 6th and 11th January 2014 in the usual 6.30pm timeslot.  It takes him from Manchester to Chesterfield by way of Birkenhead, Southport, Leyland, Preston, Rochdale, Haworth, Huddersfield and Honley.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: