Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:03:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Great British Railway Journeys - Michael Portillo's television series  (Read 139592 times)
macbrains

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2015, 11:52:47 »

With regard to the new title sequence, does any one have an idea which station Mr Portillo is standing on as the "Horsham" train approaches?  It's possible to catch a distant glimpse of the station nameboard and it's possibly "B.... and W......." but where? Is this all TV trickery?

I've been looking through a railway atlas but my detective work has yielded precisely... nothing!

One of the many experts on this site must know! Shocked

rgds
Rob
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2015, 12:08:42 »

Not seen the sequence, but Boxhill and Westhumble would be logical for "Horsham"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
macbrains

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2015, 12:30:23 »

That's it! Smiley

Thank you grahame...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2015, 11:57:28 »

Week four of the series (w/c 26th Jan) goes from Pembroke Dock to Cambridge.  Includes the North Coswold Line and Oxford.
NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2015, 16:00:03 »

Did anyone notice from the episode on the 19th January there was a shot of a train (a 158 I think) approaching Grantham with it's red tail lights on.  On rewinding and watching again I couldnt see a driver so perhaps the clip was being played backwards?
Or were my eyes just playing tricks on me?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 19:14:16 by NickF » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2015, 16:50:24 »

Not the first time Portaloo's production team have done that. I seem to remember from an earlier series a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) coming out of Standedge Tunnel, backwards and driverless.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2015, 17:26:19 »

On double track it appears the train is running wrong line!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2015, 20:33:17 »

Did anyone notice from the episode on the 19th January there was a shot of a train (a 158 I think) approaching Grantham with it's red tail lights on.

It does happen in real life, too: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12141.msg128464#msg128464  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2015, 22:40:50 »

Week three of the series (w/c 19th Jan) takes him from Derby to Lindisfarne - via Grantham, birthplace of his former boss Margaret Thatcher.

Much to my surprise, Mr. P. didn't get down on his knees to pay homage to Mrs T whilst in Grantham.  Probably didn't want to spoil his snazzy slacks.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2015, 23:36:10 »

Week three of the series (w/c 19th Jan) takes him from Derby to Lindisfarne - via Grantham, birthplace of his former boss Margaret Thatcher.

Much to my surprise, Mr. P. didn't get down on his knees to pay homage to Mrs T whilst in Grantham.  Probably didn't want to spoil his snazzy slacks.

Certainly, he was an ardent fan of the "Iron Lady", and was said by some to have some traits that were more Thatcherite than Thatcher. He coined the phrase "clear blue water", and was tipped for the Tory leadership until unexpectedly losing his seat in the 1997 election. There may indeed have been a bit of quasi-papal dirt kissing, therefore, but off-camera to preserve the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s stance of neutrality (during licence fee negotiations at least).

His love of railways can be traced to his early ministerial career, when he claimed to have rescued the Settle and Carlisle route whilst in charge at transport. It is by no means his first foray in the heady world of professional television. In 1961, the star of a Ribena advert was none other than an 8-year-old Michael Portillo Blyth. (I was 5 at the time, and changed my cold beverage of choice to dandelion and burdock, experimenting briefly with Tizer, until I discovered beer. O, to be 13 again!)

TV pays better than politics. It is much easier, and if people don't like what you are doing, you don't have to worry about them voting you out. The bonus of getting to ride around Britain, stay in fine hotels, and eat the best food available locally, then charging the tab to expenses, is common to both professions.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 23:22:52 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2015, 08:42:22 »

Certainly, he was an ardent fan of the "Iron Lady", and was said by some to have some traits that were more Thatcherite than Thatcher. He coined the phrase "clear blue water", and was tipped for the Tory leadership until unexpectedly losing his seat in the 1997 election. There may indeed have been a bit of quasi-papal dirt kissing, therefore, but off-camera to preserve the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s stance of neutrality (during licence fee negotiations at least).

His love of railways can be traced to his early ministerial career, when he claimed to have rescued the Settle and Carlisle route whilst in charge at transport. It is by no means his first foray in the heady world of professional television. In 1961, the star of a Ribena advert was none other than an 8-year-old Michael Portillo Blyth.

TV pays better than politics. It is much easier, and if people don't like what you are doing, you don't have to worry about them voting you out. The bonus of getting to ride around Britain, stay in fine hotels, and eat the best food available locally, then charging the tab to expenses, is common to both professions.

If there was a 'Like Very Much' button I would have pressed that!

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2015, 12:18:36 »

Having not seen any reports of Michael Portillo been seen out and about filming this summer, I emailed his website to ask if there was another series in the making.

It seems he has been very busy!

This summer I am working on the seventh series of Great British Railway Journeys, the fourth of Great Continental Railway Journeys and the first of Great American Railroad Journeys, all of which will be shown on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) 2 between November 2015 and February 2016.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2015, 14:17:28 »

The seventh series begins at 18:30 on the 4th January 2016 on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Two.

Mr Portillo (and his blazer) sets out from Carlisle and during the first week passes through Penrith, Carnforth, Windemere, Preston, Swinton, St Helens, Knutsford and Macclesfield.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2015, 07:55:57 »

Week two (starting 11th January 2016) goes from Dover to Porthcurno via Lewes, Newhaven, Worthing, Littlehampton, Beaulieu, Lymington Town, Exmouth and the Royal Albert Bridge.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2015, 09:20:46 »

Michael Portillo's still doing it?

I heard they'd asked Bignosemac to take over, but there were some questions over the validity of his tickets?  Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: