Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:12:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Great British Railway Journeys - Michael Portillo's television series  (Read 139557 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2016, 19:37:10 »

I'll ignore that.  Roll Eyes

Having  been raised in that part of Somerset, the Battle of Sedgemoor and the wider Monmouth rebellion is something I've read extensively about. A fascinating period of British history.

Related to that period is one of my favourite novels. Lorna Do one. Written in the 19th century but set in the period immediately after the Battle of Sedgemoor. It's referred to as a 'Romance of Exmoor' but it's certainly more than just Jane Austen with a wesscundry burr.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2016, 19:47:47 »

Thought you might put Your 'Oare' in.....
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2016, 20:26:30 »

Lorna Do one. 

Love it! Poor old Lorna, always the scapegoat.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2016, 21:28:33 »

Not quite read it yet, but I have visited the church. My daughter has by now stopped telling me "Dad, it's not Laura Dune!".

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2016, 22:05:40 »

Lorna Do one. 

Love it! Poor old Lorna, always the scapegoat.

Oops. New phone and should have checked. Old phone went swimming. I of course meant Lorna Doone.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 22:15:38 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2016, 22:13:33 »

Thought you might put Your 'Oare' in.....

Nice one! A pun lost on many I suspect.

Been there and seen the layout. Carver really should have got a fatal shot in. Dramatic licence from R.D. Blackmore.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2016, 11:50:06 »

If you liked last nights episode, especially the Royal Albert Bridge section, and thought the handsome 'expert' was erudite and charming, then please post your glowing comments here.  If otherwise, then email Mr P that his production team should be more selective in who they ask to appear.
 Wink Grin
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2016, 22:28:15 »

I genuflect in respect for the post immediately above from Pb_devon before making my own observation on this weeks programmes.  Grin

I noted that while on the Southern Railways South Coast line from Brighton a GWR (Great Western Railway) train appeared a few times.  I don't know if they had been warned, but a 3 coach 158 was turned out, which is a respectable train for such a long journey.  I believe it is not unknown for a lowly 150 to trundle its way all the way from Great Malvern to Brighton, perhaps not reflecting the image wanted for long distance travel.  I know no-one in their right mind would go all the way (but a train buff might!) but long distances are covered by individuals, I'm sure.

The usual reversing of the film, and expansion of the trains from between 2 and 8 coaches between shots (eg over the Tamar Bridge) peppered the most informative programmes.  If they are for dramatic effect it was certainly working in my house as I dramatically announced the types of units in each shot.  Fortunately, there was no-one to listen.

Looking forward to next week.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2016, 23:33:30 »

A three car 158 is the norm to/from Brighton with GWR (Great Western Railway).

The evening return can be a very busy service as it fulfills the role of a commuter service on the West Coastway. Somewhat to the detriment of longer distance passengers. I once made the mistake of turning up at Brighton just a few minutes before departure, on a journey to Bristol. I had to stand as far as Chichester.

Subsequent use of the service has been with a seat reservation.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2016, 07:47:12 »

A three car 158 is the norm to/from Brighton with GWR (Great Western Railway).

The evening return can be a very busy service as it fulfills the role of a commuter service on the West Coastway. Somewhat to the detriment of longer distance passengers. I once made the mistake of turning up at Brighton just a few minutes before departure, on a journey to Bristol. I had to stand as far as Chichester.

Subsequent use of the service has been with a seat reservation.

The morning run into Brighton - around 7 a.m. from Portsmouth - is pretty busy too, I understand (reports would be welcome). It has always struck me as a bit ironic that a GWR diesel train is being used in the peak to provide an extra peak commuter service on a frequent-service electric railway way beyond the normal franchise "territory".   The one Monday to Friday though service from the heart of GW (Great Western) territory to Brighton, and the two through services back from Brighton to GW territory, are greatly loved trains (if not as crowded all the way as the peak ones / Brighton end) and much has been argued that they encourage traffic to make this journey on rail that would not otherwise use rail if it had to change somewhere in the Solent area.  On that basis, I suppose, a neat matching up of needs - but a bit of an interesting oddball train for timetabling through some places like Southampton as an "extra".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2016, 22:29:50 »

You didn't.  You 'liked' it.  And so did I.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Having been raised in that part of Somerset, the Battle of Sedgemoor and the wider Monmouth rebellion is something I've read extensively about. A fascinating period of British history.

I agree - and recommend 'Monmouth's Rebels - The Road To Sedgemoor 1685' by Peter Earle (ISBN 0 297 77384 4) as a good introduction to the subject.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2016, 23:25:08 »

You didn't.  You 'liked' it.  And so did I.  Wink Cheesy Grin

I was actually referring to the preceding post from TG. I posted around the same time as chuffed but was actually responding to TG's rather off colour remark about the parentage of Somerset folk. Hence the rolling eyes.

Just couldn't be bothered to go back and edit my post to include a quote of TG.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2016, 23:27:33 »

Oh, sorry.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2016, 19:04:43 »

Not sure what was more Shocked on tonights episode....Mr P's organ or his hairy legs ! We have to thank Mr William and Sir Rowland Hill for the  unforgettable pairing of sights for sore eyes.
Given the previous clip about the production of the Acme Thunderer, I was surprised he didn't pick up on John Knox's thunderous  comment on the pipe organ as 'a kist o' whistles !' Grin
Think the programme could be summarised as Shrill, Hill, Hill and pill !
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 19:20:15 by chuffed » Logged
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2016, 22:36:19 »

Not sure what was more Shocked on tonights episode....Mr P's organ or his hairy legs ! We have to thank Mr William and Sir Rowland Hill for the  unforgettable pairing of sights for sore eyes.
Given the previous clip about the production of the Acme Thunderer, I was surprised he didn't pick up on John Knox's thunderous  comment on the pipe organ as 'a kist o' whistles !' Grin
Think the programme could be summarised as Shrill, Hill, Hill and pill !
What about Cuthbert Dibble and Grub .
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: