Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here]. Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
November 19, 2017, 10:21:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  
Author Topic: Great British Railway Journeys - Michael Portillo's television series  (Read 54517 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »

From the letters page of the latest Radio Times

Four Track, Now!
Global Moderator

I know nothing. Really.

View Profile Email
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »

Having spent time in Shepton Mallett prison, I shall watch with interest. I believe it has the longest continuous wall in Europe. I found three bishops outside it, looking for the gate.

Now, please!
bignosemac
TransWilts Member

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »

Shepton Mallet prison is supposedly being redeveloped into housing. Along with a prisons museum and community space.

There is though little evidence of progress toward this since the last prison in Somerset closed in 2013.

Lover of trains and all things rail related. That love and enjoyment has been severely dented in recent years by FGW/GWR.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »

Shepton Mallet prison tours are run by Jailhouse Tours, who also operate tours at Gloucester and Shrewsbury prisons. I visited Gloucester prison earlier in the year, and found it to be most interesting.

https://www.jailhousetours.com/
Four Track, Now!
Global Moderator

I know nothing. Really.

View Profile Email
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »

Shepton Mallet prison tours are run by Jailhouse Tours, who also operate tours at Gloucester and Shrewsbury prisons. I visited Gloucester prison earlier in the year, and found it to be most interesting.

https://www.jailhousetours.com/

I am also a veteran of HMPs Bristol, Guys Marsh, Dartmoor, Eastwood Park (which scared me more than any of the others), Long Lartin, Littlehey, and others. I should have mentioned that I always had a "get out of jail free" card at the very least.

It's even more interesting when it is still actually a prison. I could spout anecdotes to cover every emotion, but won't do online. Ask me next time you see me.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »

I played rugby against Aylesbury Athletic a few times....it was actually HMYOI Aylesbury  (and no, they didn't play any away matches!) Team was inmates, mostly under 21s with a few Screws playing & coaching.....we played on a pitch in the prison grounds.....if you ever want to put youngsters off a life of crime, take them there for a day or two. One of the most thought provoking & sobering experiences I ever had....not often you meet 19 year olds doing a 15 stretch, never mind scrummaging against them!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  

Jump to: