17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 05:41:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Great British Railway Journeys - Michael Portillo's television series  (Read 141152 times)
IanC

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2010, 23:25:28 »

For every night this week on BBC2, Michael Portillo will travel most of the north of England by train, as part of a new set of programmes about the railways and those who use it.

BBC2 Link

Also, on S4C over the Christmas period, there was a comedy drama by Ruth Jones (she of Gavin & Stacey fame) about a fictional welsh train company 'Welsh Railways' and the train crew on a journey between Swansea and London.

S4C link

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 14:29:58 »

Thanks, IanC. It's on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) HD too and so my Sky+HD box is now all set and ready to record!

I'm not the biggest fan of Portillo though - we'll see whether he does as good a job as Ian Hislop and the rather lovely Julia Bradbury have done on their recent programmes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 17:48:37 »

first one sounds like pacer country  Cheesy
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 18:40:06 »

Ahhh edge hill I know it well! Grin  Undecided   Cry
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 18:48:11 »

Anyone notice that at the start of the first programme, they show a Pacer for outside shots, and a 150 for inside shots! (and for a shot of the guard operating the doors!) Grin Grin

Good BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) accuracy!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 18:44:56 »

Starting Monday 18th January Michael Portillo pitches up in 'our' neck of the woods on his 'Great British Railway Journeys' series. All episodes BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) TWO 1830-1900.

Michael Portillo travels the country by train, with a copy of George Bradshaw's Victorian Railway Guidebook, to discover how the railways changed us and what of Bradshaw's Britain remains.

Monday 18th.
Swindon to Bristol
Michael finds out about free holiday trains for the GWR (Great Western Railway) workers in Swindon, samples the Spa in Bath, and tries his hand at glass blowing in Bristol.

Tuesday 19th.
Yatton to Weston Super Mare
Michael samples local Cheddar strawberries, explores Cheddar Gorge and the famous caves, and visits one of the oldest piers in the country at Weston Super Mare.

Wednesday 20th.
Torquay to Totnes
Michael finds out about Torquay's micro climate, goes salmon fishing on the Dart estuary and spends some of Totnes' new local currency.

Thursday 21st.
Bugle to Mevagissey
Michael visits the largest clay mine in the world near St Austell, goes pilchard fishing in Mevagissey and finds out how the estate of Heligan shaped British gardens.

Friday 22nd.
Truro to Penzance
Michael searches for the lost church of St Piran, explores the last working tin mine in Cornwall and harvests oysters on the Helford River.

(Edited to include details of the Fri 22nd Jan episode)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:57:19 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 19:29:17 »

Friday 22nd is Truro to Penzance, according to DigiGuide
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 21:07:32 »

Anyone notice that at the start of the first programme, they show a Pacer for outside shots, and a 150 for inside shots! (and for a shot of the guard operating the doors!) Grin Grin

Good BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) accuracy!

It got better, on the second programme they threw in a 158 as well !
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 21:14:41 »

I know, I could make a list a mile long with mistakes.

Was there anyone in charge of continuity? Shocked Or did Northern just sponsor the series so much, they had to put that clip of a really clean 158 with "Northern" really prominent. Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 21:26:42 »

Hmm.

I'd like to second IndustryInsider's preference for railway programmes presented by

... the rather lovely Julia Bradbury ...

I haven't noticed any continuity problems in those!

C.  Kiss Embarrassed Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 21:30:06 »

There were very few aerial shots of rolling stock in the lovely Julia's programmes - what with her walking along disused railway lines.  Tongue Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 23:35:58 »

In the opening credits, there's a shot of a ticket being passed under a screen, before a hand covers it to take it.

It looks like it's a ticket from Exeter St Davids to Exeter Central, but I can't slow the replay clearly or pause it in the right place to be certain.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 23:41:23 »

Why doesn't he just get rovers? Huh

Perhaps it's because he films short sections on trains and at stations where he then gets into a Jeep to continue his journey! Wink Hence the lack of continuity.

Other thing I've noticed - it's strange how the cameramen never get their tickets checked and they manage to pass through ticket barriers without a ticket inspection. Grin I'll have to carry a camera next time I want to fare dodge and say I'm doing a documentary!

And it was funny when Michael got on a train, the train left, leaving the poor cameraman stranded on the platform!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 00:05:24 »

In the opening credits, there's a shot of a ticket being passed under a screen, before a hand covers it to take it.

It looks like it's a ticket from Exeter St Davids to Exeter Central, but I can't slow the replay clearly or pause it in the right place to be certain.

Good spot TJ. Looks like a case of "Can you sell us the cheapest ticket, for a shot we want to compose?"

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 02:33:02 »

Thanks in no small measure to my own efforts, the last few posts in this thread were wandering off topic into the area of "what all the numbers on your ticket actually mean". I've split these topics off into a separate thread with that title in Fares Fair, but to save you the trouble of finding it, just click here:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6074.0
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: