12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 15:58:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[304] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[58] "Mayflower"
[56] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[53] Where have I been?
[49] Death of another bus station?
[45] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 142 vs 159s at Exeter  (Read 24422 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 18:11:55 »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the incident at Exeter St Davids last night when 142029 (on the 1813 from Barnstaple arr 1925) ran into the back of 159010/022 (waiting to start the 1927 Waterloo service). 

Reports elsewhere suggest it was a straightforward overspeed approach, but there have been a few Pacer shunts recently, so it could be railhead related.

Paul
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 18:53:15 »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the incident at Exeter St Davids last night when 142029 (on the 1813 from Barnstaple arr 1925) ran into the back of 159010/022 (waiting to start the 1927 Waterloo service). 

Reports elsewhere suggest it was a straightforward overspeed approach, but there have been a few Pacer shunts recently, so it could be railhead related.

Paul

i heard 142 had brake failure
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 20:37:10 »

I do believe it is best not to speculate of the run up to this incident and await a report from the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch).

But my thoughts go to those who were injured of which I believe thankfully there were only a few.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 22:11:33 »

totally agree ollie, however you did it yourself  Grin
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:47:34 »

totally agree ollie, however you did it yourself  Grin
Aha but I haven't speculated on the run up to the incident, but I had seen a report saying about 5 people were injured.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 13:13:25 »

fair enough then mate i cant find any info on it
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 16:52:14 »

From the Exeter Express & Echo:

Five hurt in Exeter train crash

Five people were taken to hospital after two trains collided at Exeter St David^s station.

A two-car local First Great Western service from Barnstaple to Exmouth collided with a stationary South West Trains^ Exeter to Waterloo train waiting at platform one. A First Great Western spokesman said it was normal practice for two trains to use the same platform at the same time.

The Exmouth-bound train was carrying 12 passengers, five of whom had to be taken to hospital with minor injuries, including whiplash.

The driver of the train was unhurt but was said to be shaken by the experience.

There were nine people on board the London-bound train and all were uninjured. Both trains were taken out of service. The Exmouth-bound train was placed in ^quarantine^ at St David^s as part of an inquiry into the accident launched by the Train Accident Investigation Board.

The Waterloo train was taken to Salisbury for checks to ensure it was fit for continued service.

Inspector Jim Atkinson, of Exeter^s British Transport Police, who was off duty and called in to attend the incident, said the accident happened at 7.27pm on Monday when the Exmouth-bound train collided with the rear of the stationary Exeter to Waterloo train.

He said: ^We carried out an initial investigation and established there had been no criminal activities. ^The Rail Accident Investigation Board is carrying out an investigation and the Exmouth-bound train was quarantined overnight.

^The Waterloo-bound train was taken out of service and passengers were able to catch the next available train. We took the details of the five passengers taken to the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital. I contacted them later and those I could reach were all okay.^

Inspector Atkinson said Devon and Cornwall police attended the accident, along with seven BTP (British Transport Police) officers and a scene-of-crime expert.

A spokesman for First Great Western said: ^I can confirm that a First Great Western train from Barnstaple to Exmouth came into low-speed contact with a stationary South West Trains service from Exeter St David^s to London Waterloo at approximately 7.25pm in platform one at Exeter St David^s station.

^Platforms are often used to accommodate two trains at the same time, which is normal practice at stations across the railway network.

^The Railway Accident Investigation Branch is carrying out an investigation and we will be working with them and Network Rail to understand the reason why this happened.^

Devon and Cornwall police said officers attended but left the matter in the hands of the BTP.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 17:16:04 »

So, three references to the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) in that article and none of them get its title quite right...!

EE&E: "Train Accident Investigation Board"
BTP (British Transport Police): "Rail Accident Investigation Board" (surely they of all people ought to know what it's called....)
FGW (First Great Western): "Railway Accident Investigation Branch"
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 18:12:11 »

From the Exeter Express & Echo:

Inspector Atkinson said Devon and Cornwall police attended the accident, along with seven BTP (British Transport Police) officers and a scene-of-crime expert.

I didn't know BTP had that many officers in Devon  Shocked... I know what to do in future when I want some actual police assistance on my train....  Roll Eyes

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 01:49:11 »

Hmm. Ramming another train seems a bit extreme?  Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 23:14:16 »

Was told that the driver applied the brakes which worked as normal but the 142 simply slide into the back of the 159 due to the extreme weather/poor rail adhesion conditions.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:18:08 »

Interesting in the context of an RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) bulletin published today, reporting on a similar incident involving a 142 at Darlington Bank Top last October:
http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Bulletin%20(Darlington)%2001-2010.pdf

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 14:36:55 »

Was told that the driver applied the brakes which worked as normal but the 142 simply slide into the back of the 159 due to the extreme weather/poor rail adhesion conditions.
Correct. As I understand it swabs have been taken from the railheads between the Red Cow level crossing and the collision site. Some suspicion as to whether road treatment (rock salt) of the crossing road surface has been rolled along the rail heads by a previous rail movement, there by setting a trap for the 142.

Trundling gently round the SW
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 15:32:26 »

From what i've heard today, the driver has been cleared of any responsibility.

I wonder if this leads to the end of permissive working at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains), just like a similar incident at Newton Abbot a few years back.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 17:50:59 »

From what i've heard today, the driver has been cleared of any responsibility.

I wonder if this leads to the end of permissive working at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains), just like a similar incident at Newton Abbot a few years back.

I suspect it won't, afterall that would cause a lot of headaches for timetable planners all for the same of one very rare incident. Besides, as far as i'm aware drivers should approach at 10mph when given a proceed aspect that is not from a signal aspect (ie. the white shunt lights) or am I spouting a load of rubbish!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: