27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 04:52:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 142 vs 159s at Exeter  (Read 24426 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 18:44:24 »

From what i've heard today, the driver has been cleared of any responsibility.

I wonder if this leads to the end of permissive working at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains), just like a similar incident at Newton Abbot a few years back.

I suspect it won't, afterall that would cause a lot of headaches for timetable planners all for the same of one very rare incident. Besides, as far as i'm aware drivers should approach at 10mph when given a proceed aspect that is not from a signal aspect (ie. the white shunt lights) or am I spouting a load of rubbish!

Headaches for timetable planners yes - especially with SWT (South West Trains) to Waterloo already causing problems with regards to FGW (First Great Western) services using "the bank" between St. Davids and Central, but I doubt that the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) are going to be too bothered about that.

As for the 10mph, I cannot say I know, as I just drive from the rear  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 21:15:29 »

Was told that the driver applied the brakes which worked as normal but the 142 simply slide into the back of the 159 due to the extreme weather/poor rail adhesion conditions.
Correct. As I understand it swabs have been taken from the railheads between the Red Cow level crossing and the collision site. Some suspicion as to whether road treatment (rock salt) of the crossing road surface has been rolled along the rail heads by a previous rail movement, there by setting a trap for the 142.
Thats what I heard today as well.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 07:26:13 »

From what i've heard today, the driver has been cleared of any responsibility.

I wonder if this leads to the end of permissive working at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains), just like a similar incident at Newton Abbot a few years back.

I suspect it won't, afterall that would cause a lot of headaches for timetable planners all for the same of one very rare incident. Besides, as far as i'm aware drivers should approach at 10mph when given a proceed aspect that is not from a signal aspect (ie. the white shunt lights) or am I spouting a load of rubbish!

Headaches for timetable planners yes - especially with SWT (South West Trains) to Waterloo already causing problems with regards to FGW (First Great Western) services using "the bank" between St. Davids and Central, but I doubt that the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) are going to be too bothered about that.

As for the 10mph, I cannot say I know, as I just drive from the rear  Grin
A position light authorises the train to move as far as the line is clear, but not past any other signal, and at a speed which you can stop clear of any obstruction.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 11:07:31 »

Unfortunately you are spouting a load of rubbish.

There is no set speed laid down for movements on the authority of a position light signal of either associated with a main aspect or a ground position light. However the driver shall control the movement in such a way that it can stop short of any obstruction. From what I gather the speed of 2F53 was not excessive and very considerably below the 25mph line speed. I am further advised that inspection of the 142 at 83C revealed no pre-existing faults with the braking system.

Trundling gently round the SW
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 19:19:58 »

... As I understand it swabs have been taken from the railheads between the Red Cow level crossing and the collision site. Some suspicion as to whether road treatment (rock salt) of the crossing road surface has been rolled along the rail heads by a previous rail movement, there by setting a trap for the 142.

Very interesting. Salt is hygroscopic, and will cause the rail surface to become  (and remain) damp. It will also promote rusting of the rail surface, and damp rust can be rather slippery...

Anyone fascinated by rail adhesion can read:
http://portal.railresearch.org.uk/Shared%20Documents/Reports/rssba2a.pdf
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 15:13:00 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) have now published their full report into this incident on their website.

Summary of Conclusions
Immediate cause
76 The immediate cause of the accident was that the driver^s application of the brakes did not stop the Barnstaple train before it collided with the Waterloo train.
Causal factor
77 A causal factor was a length of low adhesion at Red Cow level crossing and at the eastern end of platform 1 at Exeter St Davids station.
Contributory factors
78 A contributory factor was the lack of sanding equipment on the class 142 unit.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 15:21:02 »

From this is Devon (05/08/2010):

Rail crash cause will remain a mystery

Mystery surrounds the precise cause of a rail collision which left nine people injured, an investigation found. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch arrived at no certain explanation for the crash, involving a train from Barnstaple, at 7.25pm on January 4. A suspicion that road salt contaminated rails, affecting braking, was dismissed as unlikely.

The First Great Western train from Barnstaple crashed into the South West Trains service for London Waterloo, at Exeter St Davids station. The Barnstaple train was travelling at 11mph and none of the injuries ^ to six passengers and three members of staff ^ was serious. There were 14 people on the Barnstaple train and 11 on the stationary Waterloo service.

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) found that January 4 was a clear night and the temperature was -4C.

About seven minutes before the collision, a number of vehicles, including a Devon County Council salt-spreading lorry, went over a nearby level crossing. The driver of the Barnstaple train received correct signals and braked as he travelled towards the platform. But four seconds later, the wheels started to slide. The driver applied an emergency brake. The train continued to slide for 100 metres until it hit the back of the London train.

Investigators analysed the rails at the crossing and found that "low adhesion" ^ reduced friction ^ was a causal factor. They were unable to establish the exact reason for this but said the likely cause was moisture on the rail head, possibly reacting with minute amounts of contaminant. Investigators reported that chlorine on rails might have indicated the presence of road salt.

Between December 21, 2009 and January 11, 2010, salt was applied on the road approaches to the level crossing on 36 occasions. The council's policy is to switch off the salt supply when travelling over the crossing.

But the RAIB concluded it was unlikely that road salt drawn onto the level crossing and along the railway caused low adhesion on the evening of January 4.

The Barnstaple train did not have a "sanding system" in which the driver can release sand to improve friction. The lack of such a system was found to be a contributory factor in the crash.

The RAIB re-iterated a previous recommendation that a way be found for sanding equipment to be installed on the type of train used on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 15:54:24 »

Is there some kind of six-week satellite delay between Derby (offices of RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)) and Devon...? I know the stereotype is of a slower pace of life down that way, but really...  Grin
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 17:49:29 »

Is there some kind of six-week satellite delay between Derby (offices of RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)) and Devon...? I know the stereotype is of a slower pace of life down that way, but really...  Grin

Slow news day for the 'Excess & Error' / Thisisdevon people I expect. No cats stuck in trees in Burnthouse Lane, no Exeter City Football team loosing at home again or any massive fare hikes / service reductions on the Stagecoach Exeter buses to report so they had to find a 'news story' to make up the weight.....
 Wink

Trundling gently round the SW
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 21:26:35 »

From this is Devon (05/08/2010):

The Barnstaple train did not have a "sanding system" in which the driver can release sand to improve friction. The lack of such a system was found to be a contributory factor in the crash.

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) re-iterated a previous recommendation that a way be found for sanding equipment to be installed on the type of train used on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line.

I'm sure that'll be the case come this winter when we still have 142s ! Wink

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 21:50:53 »

Hmm.  A possible alternative version:

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) re-iterated a previous recommendation that a way be found to upgrade the type of train used on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line.

Chris  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 11:17:18 »

Slow news day for the 'Excess & Error' / Thisisdevon people I expect. No cats stuck in trees in Burnthouse Lane, no Exeter City Football team loosing at home again or any massive fare hikes / service reductions on the Stagecoach Exeter buses to report so they had to find a 'news story' to make up the weight.....
 Wink
well, at least in two weeks they'll be able to report on Exeter City losing at home (and away) every week  Wink
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 13:59:13 »

Those of you with long memories will recall 165 102 slid over the stops at the end of platform 6 at Slough and onto the platform due to sliding due to poor adhesion (leaves). I was always a bit aprehensive if I travelled on it afterwards.

Subsequently 165/6 were fited with sanding gear.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 15:29:36 »

It's a long time ago, and my memory may well be flawed, but wasn't that partly down to the 165s being some of the earlier DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) to be fitted with disc brakes? As I recall, the logic went that the traditional "shoe" brakes fitted to older stock, since they bear on the tyre, scrape off the assorted slime, mulch, grease and cack that accumulate on wheels during the leaf-fall season and therefore help adhesion. Disc brakes on the other hand obviously don't seeing as they're gripping a brake disc on the axle and not the wheel itself. Didn't this also result in "scrubber" brake blocks being fitted to some disc-braked units to clean off the wheel tread?

Wink

Love it!  Grin
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 18:16:44 »

well, at least in two weeks they'll be able to report on Exeter City losing at home (and away) every week  Wink
Does that mean that Exeter City will win their first two games?  The football season starts tomorrow!!

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: